C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 C6 Base rearview mirror light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 10:55 PM
Biz850
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 C6 Base rearview mirror light problem

Hello all, as stated I have an 07 c6 base and one of the bulbs on the rear view mirror won’t shut off. It isn’t all the way on, it’s somehow barely receiving power and thus you can only notice it when it’s in a completely dark garage; because of this the battery is always draining so I have to keep it on a trickle charger all the time. The previous owner wired up a few things like lights in the cup holders 😔 so I’m assuming it could be related to that. I thought about removing the fuse that powers the rearview mirror as I really don’t need the mirror lights but apparently they also power the HVAC or so I’ve read. Maybe I could just remove that specific bulb but I wanted to hear if anyone had any ideas on how to get this to turn off for good. Thanks in advance 🙏
Old 03-28-2024, 11:29 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 89 Posts

It sounds like you have an LED bulb in there. Some LEDs have a subtle glow even with everything shut down.
The following users liked this post:
Biz850 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 07:06 AM
Biz850
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
It sounds like you have an LED bulb in there. Some LEDs have a subtle glow even with everything shut down.
You are correct, I just removed them. Doesn’t that subtle glow drain the battery?
Old 03-29-2024, 08:15 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 89 Posts

The Sky with original incandescent bulbs will drain the battery in about a month, just parked. This is common across many different vehicles and brands.

It has been my experience after converting my interior illumination to LED, the additional drain is negligible. Admittedly, it bothered me for a while, until I realized that I didn't see my battery draining any more than normal.

If your battery is draining a lot faster than normal, possible causes could be that your battery is at the end of its life, or your Sky has something worse draining the battery.

On a Corvette forum, C6 Corvette owners experience the same phenomena. Some owners suspect On-Star being a possible culprit for the majority of this battery drain. So, if your Sky has On-Star, I advise to look into disabling it and see if your battery drain problem is greatly relieved. If On-Star has a dedicated fuse that does not also support other functionality, pull that fuse and see if you notice an improvement.

On-Star no longer functions in the USA. Those Corvette owners suspect it is constantly trying to hook up to the 3G network that no longer exists. If they are correct, On-Star on the Sky is liiely doing the same thing.

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 03-29-2024 at 08:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 C6 Base rearview mirror light problem

Quick Reply: 2007 C6 Base rearview mirror light problem