C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 02:25 PM
IndyMikeC6
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Help - what am I doing wrong?

2005 M6 Z51 - Car has been fine all spring. Performed track prep - replaced seats with track stats among other things (pads, brake fluid, tires, etc). Went to start the car and CLICK, car goes dead. I pull the negative battery terminal. Wait 15 minutes and re-attach. Radio comes on. Pretty sure I just hit the start button and she fired up. car off and back on the trickle charger (which has done fine the last few years).

Today - open the door as normal with FOB in my pocket hit start and CLICK - Dead. I repeat the above procedure but no start - dead. Next I unplug both terminals, wait 15 - 20 minutes, reconnect and accessory mode comes on like above. I turn it off, exit the vehicle wait a few and try again. Same results - Click then dead.

Next time I remove both terminals, wait 15 and re-attach. Accessory mode comes on - I turn off accessory mode, exit the vehicle and pay close attention to the anti-theft light. It comes on. I hit unlock with the FOB, anti-theft light out and same results. I pull the battery have it checked and it's at 100%.

What did I miss? Any suggestions? Of course, track day Sunday and now this.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 05-03-2024, 02:35 PM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyMikeC6
2005 M6 Z51 - Car has been fine all spring. Performed track prep - replaced seats with track stats among other things (pads, brake fluid, tires, etc). Went to start the car and CLICK, car goes dead. I pull the negative battery terminal. Wait 15 minutes and re-attach. Radio comes on. Pretty sure I just hit the start button and she fired up. car off and back on the trickle charger (which has done fine the last few years).

Today - open the door as normal with FOB in my pocket hit start and CLICK - Dead. I repeat the above procedure but no start - dead. Next I unplug both terminals, wait 15 - 20 minutes, reconnect and accessory mode comes on like above. I turn it off, exit the vehicle wait a few and try again. Same results - Click then dead.

Next time I remove both terminals, wait 15 and re-attach. Accessory mode comes on - I turn off accessory mode, exit the vehicle and pay close attention to the anti-theft light. It comes on. I hit unlock with the FOB, anti-theft light out and same results. I pull the battery have it checked and it's at 100%.

What did I miss? Any suggestions? Of course, track day Sunday and now this.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Sounds like it's time for a new starter.

Next time you try it, when you push start and it goes "CLICK", pay attention to your dash lights. Does everything go dark for a few seconds and then come back? If so, it sure sounds like a starter to me, or a loose battery connection.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:39 PM
IndyMikeC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
Sounds like it's time for a new starter.

Next time you try it, when you push start and it goes "CLICK", pay attention to your dash lights. Does everything go dark for a few seconds and then come back? If so, it sure sounds like a starter to me, or a loose battery connection.
Thanks for the replay. Nothing comes back. totally dead.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:27 PM
kestell123
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This sounds like a poor conection at the battery or the starter. Try rotating battery clamps after you have tightened them. If you can move them you will have a poor conection . The poorly designed clamps on these cars cause frequent problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by kestell123:
IndyMikeC6 (05-04-2024), Vettelagged (05-07-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:00 PM
Sayfoo
Safety Car

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

I watched a video recently with simular problems and it was a bad connection of the ground cable to the body from the battery.
The following users liked this post:
IndyMikeC6 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:36 PM
Bominator
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

The starter solenoid Bakelite caps are known to come apart from exhaust heat, when this happens the electrical connections that power your starter stop connecting and you’ll get a click when you hit the start button. This was my start problem, I could see the cracks in the cap by looking between the right side exhaust manifold and the inner fender. If you can get under the car (starter side of course) and reach the cables going to the starter solenoid cap try and wiggle them if they feel loose well you found a problem. I ordered a new solenoid from Amazon, $16 iirc, installed it myself and my starting problem was solved.

Last edited by Bominator; 05-03-2024 at 07:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bominator:
IndyMikeC6 (05-04-2024), Landru (05-04-2024), NBVette_Canada (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 10:42 AM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 263 Likes on 188 Posts

You don't say how old the battery is. These things are hard on batteries. Lucky to get 3 years. Weak batteries cause all kinds of strange issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbwinston:
IndyMikeC6 (05-04-2024), Vettelagged (05-07-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 12:12 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 456 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyMikeC6
Thanks for the replay. Nothing comes back. totally dead.
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Aside from the battery connections, check the connection at the starter & the engine to chassis grounds.
Assuming of course that you're absolutely sure the battery is good.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave S:
IndyMikeC6 (05-04-2024), NBVette_Canada (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:08 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 566 Likes on 389 Posts

What they said...

The only thing I can add is to try to start the car by placing the fob in the glove box slot; key side out and buttons facing the passenger door. If it starts, change the fob battery.

GD
IndyMikeC6 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 05:07 PM
IndyMikeC6
Instructor

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I thought the connections were super tight - I couldn't move them. For some reason I added that electrical jelly to the connections - not sure that its called - and she started right up. 3 times now. I can't believe that was the issue. What strange behavior. Thanks again.

Mike
NBVette_Canada (05-05-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 04:00 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Some great advice

Thanks everyone who responded! I learn a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Help - what am I doing wrong?

Quick Reply: Help - what am I doing wrong?