C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Legroom/Headroom

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:14 PM
BigdogADM
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Legroom/Headroom

Hi all! I have a question for those of you that have been lucky enough to sit in the new C6. My question (especially for you fellow tall folk) is: How does the leg and head room feel?

The C6 supposedly has gained several inches in both head and leg room over the C5, but I am still a bit apprehensive as to what those numbers mean. Being 6'7", I don't fit too well in the average sports car. My last car was a Dodge Stealth, listed at about 44.2" of legroom, and it fit me as well as can be expected in all dimensions. However, I often drive a Nissan 240SX, which is ridiculously small for me, yet is listed as having 42.6 inches of legroom. My buddy's BMW 540i, 4 door sedan is roomy as can be yet is listed at 41.7 inches of legroom. It seems to me someone is playing with the legroom numbers (do they measure with the seat all the way back?), so I wanted to get your impressions of the C6 beyond merely a numerical measurement. Thanks!

-Alan
Old 07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigdogADM
Hi all! I have a question for those of you that have been lucky enough to sit in the new C6. My question (especially for you fellow tall folk) is: How does the leg and head room feel?

The C6 supposedly has gained several inches in both head and leg room over the C5, but I am still a bit apprehensive as to what those numbers mean. Being 6'7", I don't fit too well in the average sports car. My last car was a Dodge Stealth, listed at about 44.2" of legroom, and it fit me as well as can be expected in all dimensions. However, I often drive a Nissan 240SX, which is ridiculously small for me, yet is listed as having 42.6 inches of legroom. My buddy's BMW 540i, 4 door sedan is roomy as can be yet is listed at 41.7 inches of legroom. It seems to me someone is playing with the legroom numbers (do they measure with the seat all the way back?), so I wanted to get your impressions of the C6 beyond merely a numerical measurement. Thanks!

-Alan
Interesting. I heard that the C6 lost several inches in head and leg room. There have been a few reports of folks sitting in C6s and being cramped.

I really hope your accounts are accurate as I'm 6' 5" and would be really bumbed if I didn't fit in a C6.

-Alan
Old 07-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I am 6'7'' and own a C5 and am okay with it, however, any smaller and its a no go for me. The seat back is squashed a far back against the tunnel as I can get it. It's a shame that most of the American cars seem to be designed for people around 5'10". I am selling my 03 Envoy because my right knee is pressed againsat the dash by the radio and the pedals are too close for me to be comfortable. I am going to spend a little seat time in the C6 ZO6 before I spring and let go of the one I got.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:06 PM
BigdogADM
Cruising

I just looked up the numbers for the 2003 C5 and the 2005 C6. Here they are:

2003 (C5)
Front Headroom: 37.6 inches
Front Hip Room: 54.2
Front Legroom 42.7
Front Shoulder Room 55.3

2005 (C6)
Front Headroom: 37.9 inches
Front Hip Room: 53.7
Front Legroom 43.0
Front Shoulder Room 55.2

So I guess not much difference overall, but a decent increase in vitally important legroom and headroom. I am still very curious how the legroom numbers are generated and would like to hear from some tall people who have actually sat in a C6. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:10 PM
BigdogADM
Cruising

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I am 6'7'' and own a C5 and am okay with it, however, any smaller and its a no go for me. The seat back is squashed a far back against the tunnel as I can get it. It's a shame that most of the American cars seem to be designed for people around 5'10". I am selling my 03 Envoy because my right knee is pressed againsat the dash by the radio and the pedals are too close for me to be comfortable. I am going to spend a little seat time in the C6 ZO6 before I spring and let go of the one I got.
I'm glad you fit in a C5. I have not driven a C5, but if the leg and headroom numbers are better in the C6 then this bodes well that we will fit in the new car.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:57 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've sat in a C6 & I found it tight.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:09 PM
SinCityJet
Instructor

Originally Posted by barkingowl
I've sat in a C6 & I found it tight.
Barking, for those of us yet to have the pleasure of meeting you in person, how tall ARE you? I think that will have some bearing on this issue.

Others may have issues with chest/waist/hip size, but I think the telescopic steering column may help in that area. Width of seat, as well as the impact of the seat cushion "wings" that come with the sport seat, might also impact the comfort of "king-sized" or "plus-sized" drivers.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Suttleone
Instructor

Default Legroom

I'm 6'4" and my C-5 is okay but with an inch more wheelbase on th eC-6 I was hoping for just about that much more legroom. Darn.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Suttleone
I'm 6'4" and my C-5 is okay but with an inch more wheelbase on th eC-6 I was hoping for just about that much more legroom. Darn.
Don't forget that the C6 is an inch taller, which may or may not help. Supposedly the C6 has 0.3 in. more leg room.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 07-22-2004 at 11:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Legroom/Headroom

Quick Reply: C6 Legroom/Headroom