C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual or Auto (never driven manual)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Chris45971
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Auto (never driven manual)?

Good evening everyone. Before I start, I would like to thank everyone for the great information on this board. It really makes the time go quicker while waiting for the C6. Anyways, I have a small concern. I have ordered a silver coupe with automatic transmission (hasen't been preferenced yet). Everyone I talk to says that manual is the way to go because it is true driving. I am in total agreement with that; however, I have one problem. I don't know how to drive a manual transmission. Most people I talk to say that it is pretty easy to learn, but I do not want to tear up my transmission while learning. I was considering changing my order to manual, but before I did, I wanted some expert opinions from the driving gurus on this board. If I drive very gently in the first week to learn, do you think that I can do damage to the car if I mess up bad with some gear changes? Is the transmission and any other damage that comes out of bad shifts under warentee? I am very coordinated and think that I will get the hang of it in a week or so, I am just worried about messing the car up in the first week learning to drive manual in the event that I change my order.

Any input that can be provided would be greatly appriciated. Thank you all for your time.

CVG
Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Zeppelin
Le Mans Master

Chris:

I am in the same boat as you (although I cannot afford a C6 yet). I can tell you what I have learned from this board regarding automatics vs. manuals.

1) Some people here feel very strongly that a Vette must be a manual.
2) There are others who feel that a manual is a true Vette, but they want a daily driver, so they get an automatic. A lot of these people are sick of driving a manual in heavy traffic.
3) Other people here will point out to you that an automatic is actually faster off the line in a drag race. Others will argue that if you "really know how to drive" a manual you can beat an automatic.
4) Most open-minded folks will say it's your dang car and get whatever the hell you want -- I agree.

Personally, I think I would probably get an automatic and just deal with the people out there who will criticize you for getting a sports car with an automatic (notice most of these people don't drive sports cars and just heard their dad say that a long time ago or something).

If you really decide you want to drive a standard, I would suggest probably learning on a different car than the Vette. This is not from experience, just my $0.02 after paying attention to numerous threads on this topic.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:00 PM
tdeck
Advanced

Purchased 2004 C5 last year, manual transmission. The salesman from Hare Chevrolet spent two hours with my wife driving around Noblesville. Now she is a regular AJ Foyt, and wouldn't have an automatic. The fun of driving a Vette is shifting the gears.

Last edited by tdeck; 08-09-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Gas Man Bill
5th Gear

What about a rent a car? I know that there are not too many places that still rent a manual, but it might be worth a few phone calls. And it beats using your new C6 for drivers ed.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:13 PM
mikeivan
Instructor

Default Don't do it

Originally Posted by Chris45971
. Anyways, I have a small concern. I have ordered a silver coupe with automatic transmission (hasen't been preferenced yet). Everyone I talk to says that manual is the way to go because it is true driving. .

Any input that can be provided would be greatly appriciated. Thank you all for your time.

CVG
Stay with the A4 "Everyone you talk to" do not have to depress that clutch pedal and shift in traffic. You have 90% of what a Corvette will do with the A4 and none of the shifting hassle and nothing to learn, in your case, buy for yourself, not for the critics. Of course, I wish there was an A6, then I would know what to do.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Wolfbane
Racer

I say buy the car YOU want. This car only has to satisfy one person.....You.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gas Man Bill
What about a rent a car? I know that there are not too many places that still rent a manual, but it might be worth a few phone calls. And it beats using your new C6 for drivers ed.
Actually, the 'vette should be very easy to learn in, because of the torque - you don't have to worry about how much gas to give it to avoid stalling when starting off; just get out in a large empty parking lot and practice the clutch release to get that smooth. Ignore the accelerator for a few starts, and you should get the hang of it. Never too late to learn!

Personally, my previous coupe was an auto, and my current ride is a 6-speed. I am on the fence as to whether to get another 6-speed with the C6. I enjoy it when I have the opportunity to cruise the local mountains, but it's kind of a pain on the clogged freeways.

Good luck with your choice....
Old 08-09-2004, 09:45 PM
John George
Melting Slicks

Location: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. --Bokonon
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'07

If I drive very gently in the first week to learn, do you think that I can do damage to the car if I mess up bad with some gear changes? Is the transmission and any other damage that comes out of bad shifts under warentee? I am very coordinated and think that I will get the hang of it in a week or so, I am just worried about messing the car up in the first week learning to drive manual in the event that I change my order.
I think the warranty would cover damage up to the point of obvious abuse of the transmission. For example, a downshift from 5th to 1st
at 65mph would likely be abuse. I would not take the chance.

If you decide you want to learn a manual consider a driving school. Your order is not yet preferenced. I think you have plenty of time to learn a manual if you want to. My order was preferenced on 7/23 and the TPW is 8/30. It will be another 3 weeks after the car is built before it gets delivered, 9/22. That's ~ 2 months from preferenced to delivered. I suspect that it will be a similar schedule for your order.

I agree with the responses that have said buy what you want. Decide what works best for you and go with that. There is nothing special about a Corvette with a manual vs. an automatic. Chevy will sell a lot of both.

Last edited by John George; 08-09-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:53 PM
calebchoson
Instructor

Thats crap, its so easy just get the manual and remember gas than let off clutch. The car will be fine, I learned on my 89 corvette. Take it around the neighborhoods first. The only thing it takes to learn is first gear, the rest of gears are a breeze.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 PM
glassfan
Heel & Toe

The first car I ever bought new back in 1993 was a manual, and I had never driven a manual before that. Don't worry, it doesn't take long to learn and you won't tear the transmission up unless you're totally clueless. Find a friend that has a car with a manual or rent one before you get the C6 so you can practice. Learning how to drive a manual on a car with 400 HP may be a little harder than learning how to drive a manual on a car with 200 HP.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:56 PM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

I have a C5 Auto now and have ordered a 6spd C6. I, too, have never driven a stick, but tried a C5 at the dealer just prior to placing my C6. It was so much more fun than the auto. The auto is great for jump starts, but I find that it is thoughtless driving from there on. I want to enjoy the driving and so will give a 6spd a chance. If I lived in an area or drove in lots of traffic, I would probably stay with the auto. Ultimately, you should get what you are happy with.

PS. Plenty of friends have already volunteered to teach me in THEIR cars on how to drive a stick....
Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was you I would get an auto. Not too many people will criticize you when you pull up in a new 2005 Vette. They will just be admiring the car. Who cares what they say anyway?? Chose whatever is comfortable for you and your driving conditions.
It might take you a few weeks to learn a stick, but its not too hard.
I prefer auto because I like having a free hand (for wave) and I hate shifting while in San francisco...too many hills and stop and go traffic.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:15 PM
survivor04
Racer

Here's my two cents worth...

First off.. buy whatever you want and are the most comfortable with.

Personally, I know how to drive a manual, but not well. I haven't driven one on a regular basis since high school. And that was more than 10 years ago.

I would think that learning on a C6 is not a best case scenario... 400hp in a C6 can get you in trouble in a hurry. Also, in my opinion, why sacrifice your driving enjoyment of the car for 3 to 6 months while you learn to drive it? You're paying a lot of money for the car, and I would want to burn rubber the first day I had it (like I did when I picked up my 2004 C5 in March).
Old 08-09-2004, 10:27 PM
SSkindog
Racer

Order it and learn to drive it. Period.

It is apparently what you want. Dont carry any regrets to the grave.

What satisfaction that will bring

Unless you have some very compelling reasons/need for an A4..................... do what your heart is telling you
Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by SSkindog
Order it and learn to drive it. Period.

It is apparently what you want. Dont carry any regrets to the grave.

What satisfaction that will bring

Unless you have some very compelling reasons/need for an A4..................... do what your heart is telling you
I think you want the MN6 or you would not have posted on this issue. I would never get a car like a Corvette in anything BUT a stick. But by the same token, I would not criticize someone who prefers an auto. It's your car and you should get what you want. I would also not want to have to drive a MN6 in heavy bumper to bumper traffic like they have in Houston. Light traffic would be tolerable. But mine is pleasure only. What will yours be? Will you be driving in heavy traffic on a daily basis?

Renting a manual car would be the best option, but they are hard to find. Try one of those cheapie places that rents used cars. Maybe they'll have a pickup truck or something. If you can't arange that, then I really don't think you will hurt your C6. The only consequence of not being a "pro" may be a little extra clutch wear, as novices tend to let the clutch slip a little too long. But this will be minimal because you will get the hang of it very quickly. Taking off from a stop is the hardest part. Shifting gears is very easy. And don't downshift (engine braking) to help slow down. A lot of people do this because it sounds cool, and they do it in the movies but this will increase clutch wear. Brake pads are much cheaper. As stated above, the abundant torque will make it easy. And the fact that it is bad to learn in because it has 400 HP is silly. It's not like you're going to get wild muscle spasms in your right leg. You can still control the throttle. I say, if you want a manual, DO IT. Just be careful on inclines, those are the hardest but it can be done. Use the parking brake if you have to when launching on an incline.
I have seen many people post in the C5 section saying they bought an A4 car and wish they had bought an MN6. I have never read a post from someone who said they bought an MN6 and wish they had bought an A4.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 08-09-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Tino
Melting Slicks

Default Auot or MN6

If this is your daily driver and you frequently find yourself in heavy traffic, I would go with the auto. If this is daily but only light traffic and or your weekend fun car then definitely buy the stick. I bought an 04 in a stick and auto. The stick is alot of fun and control, the auto is a completely different experience. Your choice and you need to be happy.

Tino
Old 08-10-2004, 01:00 AM
Vette346
Instructor

Though it isnt the most glamorous of options, you could always try a driving school (DMV type, not something like Skip Barber) just to get an hour of time with a manual. I doubt it would cost much. Then just see which one you prefer. Also a 6 speed auto is reported for the 2006 Vette, so if you're set on getting an auto, you might want to consider waiting for the improved tranny

Get notified of new replies

To Manual or Auto (never driven manual)?

Old 08-10-2004, 01:03 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default 6 spd manual vs 4 spd. automatic

undefined
Good evening everyone. Before I start, I would like to thank everyone for the great information on this board. It really makes the time go quicker while waiting for the C6. Anyways, I have a small concern. I have ordered a silver coupe with automatic transmission (hasen't been preferenced yet). Everyone I talk to says that manual is the way to go because it is true driving. I am in total agreement with that; however, I have one problem. I don't know how to drive a manual transmission. Most people I talk to say that it is pretty easy to learn, but I do not want to tear up my transmission while learning. I was considering changing my order to manual, but before I did, I wanted some expert opinions from the driving gurus on this board. If I drive very gently in the first week to learn, do you think that I can do damage to the car if I mess up bad with some gear changes? Is the transmission and any other damage that comes out of bad shifts under warentee? I am very coordinated and think that I will get the hang of it in a week or so, I am just worried about messing the car up in the first week learning to drive manual in the event that I change my order.

CVG
I drove both and found the 6 spd is definitely more fun, more control, and more power seat of the pants and much more suited for canyon curvy driving. feeling But consider that an automatic transmission is much easier on the drivetrain of the car and depending on what you are going to use the car for automatics are more consistent and you don't have to worry about burning up or replacing that expensive clutch $$$d Less chance of a person messing up an auto than a manual but if the person is bad enough it won't make a difference if they don't take care of it..If you have any physical ailments consider that also coz the auto will be easier for you to drive and it is still better to drive than not drive a Corvette right? I had the same delima
Old 08-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Chief Pontiac
Racer

Like everyone has said its you car get what you want.I love a manual even in heavy traffic that gives me a reason to turn up the music.Because when I am driving on the open road the only music I want to hear is the V8 going through the gears.Oh, my 2006 Zo6 WILL be a six speed.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:42 AM
s420merc
Instructor

2 reasons to get the Auto is Heavy traffic and the DREADED MONEY SHIFT. If you plan to order the Manual my suggestion would be to buy a beater with a stick shift for a few $$$$$ or rent one.
Much cheaper then paying for the Dreaded Money SHIFT.
I own a BMW 330 Ci and i am on the e46fanatics.com forum and i read alot about people buying a new car not knowing how to drive stick and money shifting it.

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto (never driven manual)?