C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power top option

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Power top option

Possibly this has been discussed before, but, am I being too cheap by getting a manual top? I only ordered Monday 8-9-04 and can easily change my mind. Will I be sorry later? Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 06:30 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
Possibly this has been discussed before, but, am I being too cheap by getting a manual top? I only ordered Monday 8-9-04 and can easily change my mind. Will I be sorry later? Thanks
I don't think so. Although the power top doesn't add much weight, it's easy enough to put the top down manually. Here again IMHO the power top option was added by GM to appeal to our European pals. Also, I'd be surprised if not having the option will hurt your resale value any. If I were buying a convertible, I wouldn't get that option.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:34 AM
AT T 2D
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 38 Posts

I would do the power top option if it was more like in the $500 range, $2000 is way to much. I have no complaints with the top on my '04 which I have had since January.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:52 AM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

If you can aford it why not!push a button and let it all happen without getting in and out of the car,Many times I wanted to put my top down at a light but did not want to get out and do it,or pull over,I say if its available get it!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:13 AM
MYBLU71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just one more thing that can break... don't need it... I can put the top down or up (and have) in just about 4 seconds... No need to wait 18 or so seconds for the automatic top... Plus, if you have the auto top, you will get even more wet when you have to make those quick stops and put it up for unpredicted rain drops...
Old 08-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

If I was getting the 'vert, I would get the power top.

But if $ was an issue, it might be an option I would be willing to give up....

Old 08-13-2004, 09:27 AM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

I'm getting it! WHy wouldnt you? Another button to push..I love buttons & switches.....
Old 08-13-2004, 09:28 AM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AT T 2D
I would do the power top option if it was more like in the $500 range, $2000 is way to much.
I changed my order to a 'Vert, but skipped the power top...too expensive, too gimmicky and more things to fix later, IMO.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:37 AM
vetluvr
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MYBLU71
Plus, if you have the auto top, you will get even more wet when you have to make those quick stops and put it up for unpredicted rain drops...
If you are on the open road, don't put the top up. Drive faster. The faster you go the less wet you get!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:05 AM
383 Stroker
Safety Car

I say get it. Sure, it's something else that can break but it sure beats having to get in and out of the car each time to put it up or down. That's why I'm ordering mine with the power top.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:14 AM
GaryW
Instructor

If the roof could be raised/lowered without getting out of the vehicle then I'd say stick with the manual top, no question. Since it can't...it is handy to have a power top so you can handle sudden changes in the weather when you can't get out of the car.

Having said that, does anyone know if the car has to be stationary to operate the power roof? It's a real pain if it does 'cos 18 seconds can seem like a loooong time if the traffic starts to move! Much better if it can be raised in motion (within limits!). As a comparison, my current car's roof takes only 10 seconds to raise/lower the roof but even that can be painful because it has to be stationary.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Corvette is an automotive step up much in the same way as a Porsche 911 or a Ferrari 360 Modena is. Just as those revered marques would not countenance something so inappropriate as a manual top for their customers/cars neither should you accept less in a Corvette.

Step up.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:38 AM
beary58
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

>>Having said that, does anyone know if the car has to be stationary to operate the power roof? It's a real pain if it does 'cos 18 seconds can seem like a loooong time if the traffic starts to move!<<

I was wondering this myself. My current car must have the emergency brake enguaged. But I test drove a Crossfire convertible the other day. We were driving about 60mph on the highway when I told the salesman I was pulling over to put the top down. At which time he proceeded to unlatch the top and retract it. I've never stopped so fast in my life. He couldn't understand my anger or that I just saved ripping off his top. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, "idiot!".

Anyway I was surprised the car didn't have to be stationary. I thought all cars with automated vert tops had some kind of protecting switch somewhere. I guess not.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Alx1rl
Racer

Power top is so much more convenient, makes you wanna keep the top down more often, quite a blessing to have a powertop, once you have it, you wont go back, besides adds barely 15 pounds, means nothing.

PS. Im currently driving an 04' Z4! I will try to see if it can be mobile while opening the top, im sure as long as its in precautionary speeds its okay.

Last edited by Alx1rl; 08-13-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryW
Having said that, does anyone know if the car has to be stationary to operate the power roof?
Yes it does. And if you have an automatic transmission it has to be in park and a manual transmission was to be in neutral.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Nothin' to do with cheapness. Sheesh. I personally just don't want it.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Thanks everybody.

Here's what I decided. I told the sales person that it would be up to him. If a power top would come sooner, then fine. I would not be held back because a bunch of "power tops" were going to be made first.
He's my eyes and ears to the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To Power top option

Old 08-13-2004, 07:55 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I were getting a Vert, the power top would be a must.

ALSO I sure hope the people complaining that the power top is just one more thing to break, aren't the same people complaining about the fixed headlights.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:57 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by TedG
If I were getting a Vert, the power top would be a must.

ALSO I sure hope the people complaining that the power top is just one more thing to break, aren't the same people complaining about the fixed headlights.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

The price of the power top can't possibly be an issue for anyone able to afford a C6 vert. Most people buying C6s have deep pockets.

If you like gadgets & convenience get it. If not then skip it. Simple enough IMHO.

Quick Reply: Power top option