tire mileage - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire mileage

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by skfurr View Post
I was just thinking: base and F55 cars can do a rotate side to side (for whatever good it might do) by dismounting and remounting the tire on the other side. They're unidirectional and have to turn the same way.

The can't rotate front to rear obviously because of the difference in tire and wheel sizes.

The Z51 cars tires have "asymmetrical tread design" which means there is a specific tire for each corner of the car. No side to side rotating even.

I guess they figure that rotation isn't necessary given the short life of the tires to begin with?

Stephen
I have 2005 F-55 base coupe and went 44,000 on front tires. The rears were still fine at this point but I went ahead and changed all 4 at the same time. I keep it at 30 PSI per factory.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM
FrdFrmBrdn
CF Member

I just replaced my rears 6 months ago because I got a piece of steel from a bridge in it. I got the stock tires (F1 super car) for just under $1k. The manager at Town Fair Tire is a very close friend.

Just 2 weeks ago, I noticed my front right was low on air. I filled it up and went on my way. 2 days later, it was low again. After jacking it up and taking the wheel off, to see if there was something stuck in the tire, I see this,

Wondering how the hell this happened I decided to look at the other side. Same exact wearing, right down to the cord on both sides. I'm going to post this pic in a new thread cause I am shocked how this wear can happen to both sides. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

But back to the topic, I replaced just the fronts with Firestone Wide Oval run flats. They make that tire in the same sizes as the junk F1 super cars. Much cheaper, about half as much $450 for both fronts installed, and the tread wear is almost twice as much as the super car.

I am saving to get the matching ones for the rear, but as far as ride and performance goes, I can hardly notice a difference. If you are replacing your tires, Id recommend these. Great price, still run flats, correct sizes, and very comparable performance.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
c54u
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51 View Post
7 year old post revived?
yes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Thomasmoto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My runcraps only lasted 14,000 miles, I now have 17,000 on my Michelin's with prolly at least another 12,000 to 15,000 miles left on them.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Mad*Max
CF Senior Member

my Firestones have over 30k and I don't take it easy, the rears are due to be changed now though
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FrdFrmBrdn View Post
I just replaced my rears 6 months ago because I got a piece of steel from a bridge in it. I got the stock tires (F1 super car) for just under $1k. The manager at Town Fair Tire is a very close friend.

Just 2 weeks ago, I noticed my front right was low on air. I filled it up and went on my way. 2 days later, it was low again. After jacking it up and taking the wheel off, to see if there was something stuck in the tire, I see this,

Wondering how the hell this happened I decided to look at the other side. Same exact wearing, right down to the cord on both sides. I'm going to post this pic in a new thread cause I am shocked how this wear can happen to both sides. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

But back to the topic, I replaced just the fronts with Firestone Wide Oval run flats. They make that tire in the same sizes as the junk F1 super cars. Much cheaper, about half as much $450 for both fronts installed, and the tread wear is almost twice as much as the super car.

I am saving to get the matching ones for the rear, but as far as ride and performance goes, I can hardly notice a difference. If you are replacing your tires, Id recommend these. Great price, still run flats, correct sizes, and very comparable performance.
At 44,000 mine started to get like that but not as severe. I was told a belt broke but it was the fronts. It wasn't the supercar GY but the other factory GY runflat.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
4CEE
CF Senior Member

I got 4500 out of my original GYs.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM
hondaamer
CF Senior Member

I got 14k out of my fronts and the rears have more than half left at 16k miles
Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

One thing. Do not go by how much tread you have used and miles driven and how much is less because as you drive the tire wears out quicker.....reason being? It gets smaller and have more revolutions per mile than prior.

It you lose say 4 mm in depth that is actually 8 mm in how tall the tire is because its a loss of 4 on top and bottom.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Thomasmoto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default tires

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
One thing. Do not go by how much tread you have used and miles driven and how much is less because as you drive the tire wears out quicker.....reason being? It gets smaller and have more revolutions per mile than prior.

It you lose say 4 mm in depth that is actually 8 mm in how tall the tire is because its a loss of 4 on top and bottom.
Good point. And as they say engineers " do things" for reasons.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Vette_DD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by garwood94 View Post
I went through the front tires in 8k miles and found cords showing when extreme loss of traction prompted inspection. The braking is really good though, and I am guilty of using them. The rears (325/30ZR19) are just about gone at 9800 miles. When the new ones come in I'll make sure to see some cords on these before removal...
Please don't revive 7 year old threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tire mileage

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: