C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 AM
sfracass
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Recommendations

Having gone through replacement of the HB, crank bolt and seal in just the first week of purchasing an 06 convertible (thankfully covered by the dealers 1 month/2k mile warranty), I want to purchase a sound extended warranty for the car. With up to 90 days to purchase it, I'd prefer to get as soon as the dealer limited warranty expires.

Can anyone recommend a decent extended warranty provider that will cover most everything on the vehicle?

Thank you!
Scott
Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Go with the GM plan. This guy has been selling them around here for years.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...anty-news.html
The following users liked this post:
Landru (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 AM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Another option I can recommend is Paragon. (http://paragonmotorclub.com/warranty). I've bought several from them, never had a claim denied or got runaround. I always spoke with Rodney Vargas, I think he must be the head honcho. They always did 18 monthly payments automatically on my card, with a little up front. But you have to ask.

Whatever you get, make sure it's an exclusionary policy (sometimes called "Ultimate" or "Platinum" or some such). That's where there's a list of NON-covered items, and EVERYTHING not on that list is covered. The ones where they list all the covered parts lets them weasel out of paying, because lots of weird model-specific parts are never on those lists.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
Go with the GM plan. This guy has been selling them around here for years.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...anty-news.html
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM
geno01
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts

I do not think the GM plan can be purchased on a car over 10 years old. But you can check.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:30 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I wouldn't trust any warranty company willing to sell for one for an eleven year old car.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Best warranty option is no warranty, in my opinion. I never buy extended warranties and feel like it's not worth the money. If you are going to spend $2k(?) on a warranty, you might as well have put that money towards your car budget in the first place and bought a newer car. Or take the money and put it aside for any future repair, chances are you'll end up ahead.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 PM
geno01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Best warranty option is no warranty, in my opinion. I never buy extended warranties and feel like it's not worth the money. If you are going to spend $2k(?) on a warranty, you might as well have put that money towards your car budget in the first place and bought a newer car. Or take the money and put it aside for any future repair, chances are you'll end up ahead.
That's your opinion. OP was asking about a warranty. Maybe he wants peace of mind. If your nav. unit goes bad that's $2,000.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:15 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by geno01
That's your opinion. OP was asking about a warranty. Maybe he wants peace of mind. If your nav. unit goes bad that's $2,000.
He asked for recommendations, I gave him mine. Maybe you missed the part where I said "in my opinion". Based on my experiences, not buying extended warranties over the years, gave me a free $40k Corvette. It's a catch 22, many people who don't have much money pay for warranties for peace of mind. If your nav goes out, there are always cheaper options than a new OEM. And if it doesn't go out, you just gave someone $2 grand for nothing, Smart move for the many people who don't have much money? Just my take on it.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 PM
geno01
Burning Brakes

I did not miss anything. I said that's your opinion. I was just having a discussion.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I did not miss anything. I said that's your opinion. I was just having a discussion.
Got it! Sorry, as you can see i'm not a fan of paying for warranties.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:15 PM
evanft
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

Lol wut. Who would pay $2k for that? You can buy them all day for less than $500.

OP, it's a decade old car. Wrench in it yourself. Parts are cheap and maintenance is easy.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

You can't get a GM warranty on an 11 year old car. Getting another one from some off brand company is a bigger gamble than not having one at all...
Old 07-15-2017, 03:03 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've gotten an extended warranty on every car I've owned since '92 (that's more than a dozen) and so far the least I've done is break even on the cost, and the most is triple payback. What I found is, the so-called "minor" repairs add up. $300 here, $500 there, a bunch of $200 repairs...even after the deductible, it's not that hard to hit $2K over 4-5 years of ownership of an older car. Especially daily drivers like mine.

I can wrench with the best of them, but I don't have a lift (which would cost me as much as the warranty), nor the space for one, nor a second pair of hands if needed. So that limits what I can tackle myself.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:17 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ben z

I can wrench with the best of them, but I don't have a lift (which would cost me as much as the warranty), nor the space for one, nor a second pair of hands if needed. So that limits what I can tackle myself.

Agreed, that's why I bought an ext war... I got a 5yr 0 deductible and 50k miles for 1600.. Gives me piece of mind...
Old 07-15-2017, 04:38 PM
chaunceybland
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
Agreed, that's why I bought an ext war... I got a 5yr 0 deductible and 50k miles for 1600.. Gives me piece of mind...
Mind sharing who you used for your warranty?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:49 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

This is my opinion now too. The last time I bought a new car (VW Jetta TDI) I purchased the VW Premier extended warranty for $2,600 and was unsuccessful in making a claim and kept getting put off because "I had no symptoms".

I did however have several consecutive lab reports from a certified testing lab that indicated that my engine oil carried a ridiculous amount of metallic fines resulting from a camshaft and cam follower failure in progress. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion but since the engine sounded normal and didn't miss or knock the mucky mucks at VW determined that I didn't have a problem.

They even had the nerve to inform me that scientific oil analysis meant nothing to them when the final report I submitted advised that I had a failure in progress and advised that I stop driving the car until remedial action was taken.

I ended up fixing it myself as soon as the warranty expired and ironically it cost me $1,000 less than I spent on the extended warranty to fix it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty Recommendations

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Recommendations