C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 verses non-Z51 in use...? Gear ratios?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Z51 verses non-Z51 in use...? Gear ratios?

Howdy,

I've been contemplating whether or not to order the Z51 package. (Note: I am not considering the F55 option - I'd either go with Z51 or no option at all.)

I am aware of what the Z51 packages gives you. The bigger brakes are neat, but even for spirited road use, my guess is that the regular non-Z51 brakes will be more than adequate. (I do not plan to race the car on a track and will probably never go over 120 mph.) Does anyone feel that the non-Z51 brakes are "sub-standard"? Does anyone feel that the Z51 brakes are important to have?

I like the idea of the tranny cooler and other coolers. Coolers are always a good thing even if you aren't beating on the car. But at the same time, especially if the car isn't being beaten to death everytime it leaves the garage, these coolers are probably not really necessary. Does anyone disagree?

The suspension... I have read that the Z51 suspension is very tolerable on the street and is not too stiff. Sounds good. I wonder how it differs from the regular base suspension though. Is the base suspension "too loose"? I will do mostly street driving where there is a fair share of potholes... I wonder if the base suspension would be better for what I do than the Z51? And, I can only image that the C6 will handle amazingly well, just due to it's size, weight and design, regardless of what suspension is in it. Comments?

What I am most interested in is the tranny gear ratios. I am aware that the Z51's first 3 gears are a bit lower than with the non-Z51 tranny. This of course will improve off the line acceleration a bit. But, in terms of every day street use, "extra low" gears could be good or bad. I guess I need to drive both to see for myself. In the meantime... I wonder if anyone has compared them first hand and has any comments? I test drove a stock regular C5 and I felt that the first gear in that car could have been a tad lower (higher numerically). But overall, it was fine. I have driven other cars where the first gear was too low, to the point of being downright annoying. I am wondering if the Z51 might be like this? Or perhaps it's just right? Yeah, I know, I need to drive one for myself... but I am curious as to the opinions of the group members.

In sum, I think the main reason I'd get the Z51 package is just for the gear ratios really, assuming they offer a noticeable improvement for both regular and spirited STREET driving... but if they don't, then I think I'll forget the Z51 and put that $1,500 toward something else like maybe the dual roof option.

And this whole issue of squeaking and rusting Z51 brakes... gee, when I buy a brand new car, I do not want to have to immediately start swapping brake pads and dealing with headaches. I hate squeaking brakes. Gee, I can see myself ordering a Z51 package just for the tranny and then swapping on non-drilled rotors just to eliminate brake squeak headaches.... but that would surely be wasteful... which is why I really hope to come to a conclusion at some point as to how much of an "improvement", if any, the lower Z51 tranny gears offer.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:53 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you keep a big tire replacement budget handy. I understand that the GY F1 Super Car tires that come with the Z51 package wear out much faster than the regular run flats.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

I knew exactly which options I wanted, except for the Z51. I did want the gears and the brakes. More cooling is always good but Im not going to be on a road course and the loss doesnt really concern me. I did not want the stiffer ride. Im old and simply wont be testing out the cars limits in the corners. The ride on the base is firm and it corners flat up to the .6ish I have taken mine to. Driving the Z51 was noticably firmer but I did not find it harsh. It does have less suppleness to it as compared to the base. I dont know how much of an improvement the stopping times are with the z51. The car I drove did not squeal or whatever it is people are getting. Both have what IMO are good pedal feel. Honestly I think the base setup has been given less respect than it deserves. It provides a wonderfull tune in its own right. Sucks that you got to give up the gears to get it.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:00 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z51 --- have it on my 1997 C5 and now on my 2005. Much smoother ride in the C6, plus all the other goodies the Z51 C6 packs.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:30 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

I've driven both and have the Z51 in my own car. The base suspension will pull .93G on a skidpad versus the .98 of the Z51. Both are good numbers. The base suspension is somewhat smoother riding than the Z51 and the tires are a little quieter. The ride quality of the Z51, though, is excellent and I haven't found it particularly harsh even over some fairly rough back roads. I think the steering feels a bit crisper with the Z51, and there is a little less felt body motion when going through hard turns. I like the lower gearing in the manual and find it ideal for driving around town or open road cruising. The Z51 tires are more performance oriented and will stick better on dry pavement, not as good on wet. The larger brakes with cross drilled rotors, the crisper handling, the coolers, the more aggressive rubber, and the lower gearing all pushed me towards the Z51. I'm sure I would have been happy with the base suspension...it's very good...but I always would have wondered; should I have gotten the Z51?

Before I ordered the car, I had this same discussion with a car enthusiast friend. He asked, "Why are you buying the car?" My answer was that I wanted the ultimate sports car...fast and great handling. He then asked, "How can you NOT buy the Z51 package?" "Why are you buying the car?" Ask yourself that question. Your answer will help you make the right decision.
Stan
Old 11-06-2004, 11:27 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much agree with everything said so far. I have a Z51 with the MN6. I like to track the car occasionally but of course I drive it on the street, and like to take trips out of town also. After reading your original post describing how you are going to use the car I will say this: If you aren't going to use it on the track I don't think you need any of the Z51 equipment and would have a better touring car if you didn't get it. Your car will be quieter, ride better, and still handle better than most anything else you see on the road next to you. As far as your statement about the lower transmission gears, you bring up a good point that is often overlooked. ( I assume we are talking about a manual trans) I start out in 2nd in my MN6 Z51 because 1st isn't necessary unless you want to really accelerate hard. I often start in 2nd, shift to 4th, then to 5th or 6th. If I wasn't going to use the car at the track, I probably would have ordered an auto. Hope this helps in your decision

Last edited by vetracer; 11-06-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vetracer
I pretty much agree with everything said so far. I have a Z51 with the MN6. I like to track the car occasionally but of course I drive it on the street, and like to take trips out of town also. After reading your original post describing how you are going to use the car I will say this: If you aren't going to use it on the track I don't think you need any of the Z51 equipment and would have a better touring car if you didn't get it. Your car will be quieter, ride better, and still handle better than most anything else you see on the road next to you. As far as your statement about the lower transmission gears, you bring up a good point that is often overlooked. ( I assume we are talking about a manual trans) I start out in 2nd in my MN6 Z51 because 1st isn't necessary unless you want to really accelerate hard. I often start in 2nd, shift to 4th, then to 5th or 6th. If I wasn't going to use the car at the track, I probably would have ordered an auto. Hope this helps in your decision
I'm glad that YOU said that, 'cause that's how I shift, and I really don't know what the F I'm doing! My '99 was auto, so I'm relearning how to shift, and my modded Miata, before that, didn't have nearly this much torque.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Juvatpilot
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Tire Wear

Originally Posted by coolcat
Make sure you keep a big tire replacement budget handy. I understand that the GY F1 Super Car tires that come with the Z51 package wear out much faster than the regular run flats.
Just as a matter of interest, I contacted Goodyear regarding the wear rating of the GS-2 versus the SC tires. Wear rating for the standard tires is 300, while the wear rating for the SuperCar tires is 220. Traction for both is AA, and temp rating for both is A.
Juvatpilot
Old 11-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wanna chime in and say THANKS to all for the interesting info so far regarding the Z51.

Regarding the gear ratios, I find it very interesting that some like to start out in 2nd gear in Z51 cars. I will note that when I test drove an `04 C5 regular Vette , I felt that the first gear was NOT "too low"... first almost felt like a low-ish 2nd. So I'd never start out in 2nd gear in that car personally. But I know that the `05 C6 Z51 first gear is indeed lower than in a stock C5, and apparently must really "feel" lower if it persuades some to start out in 2nd.

I guess I need to simply test drive a regular non-Z51 C6 just to see how I like the gearing.

Burning a 0-60 an extra tenth faster is really not super important to me. What is most important to me is that the car is excellent for everyday use, and also excellent for spirited backroad thrill use too. I am a low-end torque junky... I'd rather accelerate from 40 - 70 in an upper gear, keeping the revs on the low side and feeling that "silent" thrust of torque, as opposed to starting from a stop, winding the engine out to a violent scream, making a big production, etc. As long as that LS2 makes good power all across its torque band (as it supposedly does from what I've read), I think I'm gonna be happy regardless of the first three gear ratios.

But having said that, I am just hoping that the first gear in the non-Z51 is not "too high" for my tastes. If a first gear is "too high", then it actually makes the car a tad bit harder to drive... you need to slip the clutch more to get it going, etc. I am one of those guys that winces in pain if I need to slip the clutch any more than absolutely necessary. I like to let `em out smooth but fast and get the car in gear asap, always a bit easier to do with a "lower" first. Well... I do need to drive a new C6 and see. More opinions welcomed and appreciated in the meantime.

Regarding the Z51 package in general, it's really not the extra cost that has me on the fence about it, but more an issue of whether or not I will actually like the Z51 package better. After reading a few of the above posts, I am thinking that I may actually like the stock non-Z51 better for my personal use. While I do want serious power and handling, I am thinking that the Vette already has that, Z51 or no Z51. And I will probably never take the car on an actual race track. Of course those Z51 drilled rotors DO look mighty cool!

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2004, 02:02 AM
FASTRNU
Instructor

The Z51 package is such a fantastic value, I couldn't see not getting it. Price out all the things you get separately, and it is dirt cheap. I had the Z51 on my '02 and '00 Coupe and Vert and loved it, and it didn't have near the equipment levels that the '05 Z51 package has.

If you like automatics, then maybe the Z51 isn't for you, but if you like to row the gears, I wouldn't own a 6 speed Vette without it.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
This is true and the tires that come on the Z-51 are not good in the rain. They are a dry tire for the track so it is not advisable to drive a car with those Z-51 tires when it is raining remember this is living with the car on a day to day basis. Unless you want to go through the trouble of buying a second set of tires mud & Snow tires but then you are defeating the purpose of the Z-51 by taking away those tires that aid to get those good numbers.....If you don't need it or use it save your $$$ cause when it comes time to replace those OPTIONS you paid extra for that is when they will getcha, parts will be more expensive, the larger rotors and special tires, coolers = new sources of leaks. Those special order option parts are more difficult to get.They always have to be ordered so you wait longer and you pay more $$$ while the guy with the base car is enjoying his drives. So you end up with a loaner car some Calvalier or Ford Tempo and sitting on the side lines with your car in the dealership and the guy with the base equipted Corvette drives right by you.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:34 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
This is true and the tires that come on the Z-51 are not good in the rain. They are a dry tire for the track so it is not advisable to drive a car with those Z-51 tires when it is raining remember this is living with the car on a day to day basis.
I've got to disagree with you on this one. While the F1 tires that come with the Z51 package are not as good as the standard tires in rain, I would never say they're "no good" in the rain. I've had the car out in torrential rain for several days now and, on one day, even in wet snow. Hard acceleration will break the rear end loose quickly, but in normal driving it's been perfectly reasonable. I haven't had the ABS engage once, I haven't felt any slip in turns, and traction control has not been seen. I haven't been in any hydroplaning situations because I've been careful, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to drive the Z51 in wet conditions. Remember, even the stock tires are wide, low profile units and are less than ideal for wet and muddy road conditions.

So, while not ideal and not as good as the stock tires, the Supercar F1s are, IMHO, more than adequate for normal wet road conditions.

Stan
Old 11-07-2004, 09:47 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Personally I dont think the brakes should be in any option package. Every Corvette should come with top notch brakes.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:21 PM
7 OUT
Racer

Originally Posted by StanNH
Before I ordered the car, I had this same discussion with a car enthusiast friend. He asked, "Why are you buying the car?" My answer was that I wanted the ultimate sports car...fast and great handling. He then asked, "How can you NOT buy the Z51 package?" "Why are you buying the car?" Ask yourself that question. Your answer will help you make the right decision.
Stan
I initially placed my order with the base suspension. For two weeks I kept asking myself, how can I buy a Corvette and not get it with all of the performance capability offered? It wasn't as much about whether I was going to realize the benefit of the Z51, I just couldn't stand the thought of buying a performance car without the performance package. I went back and changed my order to include the Z51 option.

Dana

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 verses non-Z51 in use...? Gear ratios?

Quick Reply: Z51 verses non-Z51 in use...? Gear ratios?