Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Something interesting about the Z06 Aluminum Frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 12:51 AM
DJCCorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something interesting about the Z06 Aluminum Frame

I was wondering if anyone thought about the new Z06 being in a major wreak with the Aluminum frame, I mean think about it a lot of places won't be able to fix it and would be a costly fix, just something that came to mind and was wondering if anyone thought about it.

Daniel
Old 06-12-2005, 12:57 AM
boxerperson
Instructor

there has been much technical debate on this subject already, including it's relationship to the C6R and how it does not use the aluminum frame.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:24 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

I don't think it's a very big deal, if a steel frame is damaged badly enough a new section can be welded in and I would think the same would go for the aluminum with the only difference being the person doing the welding must be knowledgeable at welding both types of material.

I guess we'll have to wait until the car is released though before we find out what types of repairs are actually allowed that is unless somebody out there has that info.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:48 AM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

I am also concerned about how much of a premium insurance companies will charge for the aluminum frame as well.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:47 AM
ZFORME
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insurance will be interesting on this car.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A buddy who lives up near Portsmouth NH called me the other day and reported that he saw the remains of one of the new C6 Z06 get hauled off IN TWO PIECES" on a flat bed. He said that a 25 year old kid tried to take a turn on a gravel road at insane speeds and hit a tree. The car tore in half right at the rear window The guy survived!!!!! The accident happened about two houses up from his house. I asked him to go to the wrecking yard to take pictures. He went a few days later and the car was gone. The yard owner said the kids dad came with a flat bed and hauled the car off under a tarp. My friend is suppose to get me a copy of the accident report. I told him that he could be famous if he could get pictures of the "FIRST WRECKED C6 Z06"

I will keep this post up to date on the results!

Bill C
Old 06-12-2005, 10:02 AM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
A buddy who lives up near Portsmouth NH called me the other day and reported that he saw the remains of one of the new C6 Z06 get hauled off IN TWO PIECES" on a flat bed. He said that a 25 year old kid tried to take a turn on a gravel road at insane speeds and hit a tree. The car tore in half right at the rear window The guy survived!!!!! The accident happened about two houses up from his house. I asked him to go to the wrecking yard to take pictures. He went a few days later and the car was gone. The yard owner said the kids dad came with a flat bed and hauled the car off under a tarp. My friend is suppose to get me a copy of the accident report. I told him that he could be famous if he could get pictures of the "FIRST WRECKED C6 Z06"

I will keep this post up to date on the results!

Bill C
Old 06-12-2005, 11:21 AM
petefias
Burning Brakes

The C6 frames, steel or aluminum are hydroformed from a single piece. Who would want to "weld in" a new section on their $50K+ ride?

I would think if the frame cannot be straightened the car should be totalled and parted out.

There might be some legalities involved in totalling a Z06 that could not have been sold to the general public. I'm sure someone is feeling the heat right now.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:18 PM
yelloz06
Pro

It's a shame that that beautiful hunk of shiny metal gets dipped in a color of black darkness!

Get notified of new replies

To Something interesting about the Z06 Aluminum Frame

Quick Reply: [Z06] Something interesting about the Z06 Aluminum Frame