Z06 Tomorrow night (7/16) we'll know for sure! - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Tomorrow night (7/16) we'll know for sure!

Old 07-18-2005, 01:44 PM
  #61  
666 Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Dublin California
Posts: 297
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Just for the record, the wheel is symmetrical. Some Corvette Team members get a chuckle from threads that say it's asymmetrical.
I sat in the Z on display at the Corvette Corral at Sears Point yesterday. I can confirm that the seering wheel spokes are symmetrical. The reflective trim pieces can sometimes create an optical illusion that suggests otherwise.
666 Z06 is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 PM
  #62  
vetteship
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,407
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crash99
When someone asked about the 93 octane, Dave just shrugged his shoulders. You can always add a touch of 100 octane racing gas or some torco or toulene if you want maximum performance. Keep in mind that 91 octane is the rule in all of CA, not just the bottom part

The rotors are just like the C6 Z51, correct on the left side and backwards on the right side...

Unfortunately Dave didn't take any questions at the Banquet and left at its conclusion. He was in the hot pits at the race today so all I had the chance to do was to shake his hand and thank him for the speech the night before and for all he does for the Corvette Family. He's a really straight-up guy.

He also implied that the car was stock at the Ring, but did not come out and tell us specifically the tires were stock.

Dave also said that "we really do listen to our customers. But that doesn't always mean we do what they ask. Otherwise we wouldn't have a car that's 5 inches shorter or with fixed headlights."

Speaking of listening to customers, it was confirmed by Karen Rafferty, Corvette Marketing Manager, that she often lurks on our humble Forum. So Karen, if you read this post, any chance we can see a Z in Mag Red? (Any chance you could take me for a drive in the Z while it's still in Sonoma? Better yet, any chance I can take you for a drive in the Z? )

One other thing I noticed on the car but don't remember if I read or heard it before was that the brake bleeder screws are on the outboard side of the brake to greatly simplify bleeding for do-it-yourselfers...

Another oddity was the passenger airbag light was located in the rearview mirror, not the center console like it is (I think) in the regular C6.

BTW, the NCM is holding a raffle for a new ZO6 if anyone is interested in taking a chance to get a Z for cheap and helping out a great cause...

I'm really tired from the long, hot days at Infineon. If I remember anything else I'll be sure to update...

Crash
Thanks Crash for your work.
vetteship is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
  #63  
hisjakeness
CF Senior Member
 
hisjakeness's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: pensacola fl
Posts: 489
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

great times!
hisjakeness is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM
  #64  
Z06LUST
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LUST's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Citrus Heights CA
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Ok--throwing in my 2 cents-kinda of late...had to go out of town after Fridays session at Sears Point (Inf??)..and just got back this am

The Steering Wheel is SYMMETRICAL. I sat in the car a couple of times. My little ruler was worthless based upon the way the steering wheel is made--strange curves...yes looking in the window one side seems larger--go around the the other side of the car and the image is then reversed. I finally got creative and used by freebe neck lanyard NCM gave out at the Corral and my Sharpie to create a measuring tool--both sides dead even from every angle and shape...It's just the way the thing curves and the use of the brush alum/plastic on the wheel that causes the 'optical illusion'...

I talked to Dave Hill about a couple of items-most covered above...it was after his speach and the immediate autograph seakers had gotten theirs and strolled off...so some one on one time.

I told him I could NOT be at the banquet Sat night but that I would be out of town and off the net...I mentioned the 7:43 Z06 time and he just smiled and nodded a confirmation (he wanted to keep it quiet as part of the speech for Sat night). We then talked about the 04 Z06--clear specific confirmation of the 7'56" time at the Ring.

Next was the C6...this might be in conflict with posts above--He told me they never ran the 2005 C6 for an official time at the Ring. NOTE I SAID THE 2005 car. He did say the 2006 C6 had been run...He initially said it was right on top of the C5 Z06..follwed by "whats the difference of a couple of seconds" (again, he is a sales guy and has a new product to sell). I stressed that at the ring a couple of seconds wasn't a big deal but then pointed out all the internet crap and how misstatments were being beaten to death...so he said.."ok"..."7:59 by JM in a 2006 C6"...in his eyes..."3 seconds" on a 14 mile road course on totally different days "isn't much"--I agree but needed to quell rumors.

During his 'presentation' to the group he had talked about how the Corvette was always improving (marketing pitch) and that at the end of the C5 program it seemed like improvements were coming on a monthly basis--again guys-a marketing speech-don't beat this statement to death...And like the C5 there have been and will be ongoing improvements with the C6...

He very clearly stated that the cars had recently been run at the Ring..with automotive journalists in full attendance and the results would be out in August--does that mean August 1 or August 30--I have no idea....he stated to the group that based upon the fact that the journalists have an info imbargo date it wouldn't be fair for him to 'scoop' them to discuss all of the 2006 C6 improvements...BUT that the car has been 'improved'.--let the guessing games begin for what was improved on the standard C6 (by standard I include Z51-I'm just trying to separate out the C6 Z06)...Oh--he also proudly told the group that the Z06 goes into production 'this month"..Understand "this month" is valid until 11:59 pm on July 31st....

So in this light during our discussions I got VERY specific with my questions--he very clearly stated it was a 2006 C6 that ran the 7'59" time at the Ring and NOT the 2005 C6. Now-do I expect much of a difference in the cars-no, but I just want the air cleared as to what car ran the time. During my talk with Dave he mentioned that the 'big target' for Corvette were the lower priced 3 Porsches-- Boxter, Boxter S and the new cheaper one (cheaper then the 911) [Author nore-Dave mentioned the 3 basic Prosches, I included the 911 in that count originally, I'm wrong--you get to 3 cars without the 911--Boxter, Boxter S, and -dang can't recall the new one priced a litel above the Boxter]) I can't recall (Viper is a small produciton run car and not on their hit list as far as the 'normal' C6-an entirely different market).

Chevrolet was very concerned about 1 or more of those Porsche cars running under 8 mins at the Ring (they didn't) and thus set the goal of breaking 8 minutes with a normal production C6 (ie non-Z06 model)..he was extremely pleased when they broke it with the 2006 car this year....He had a smile like a kid in the candy store and repeated for me "2006" C6 followed by "We didn't run the 2005 C6 for time at the Ring" [Do I believe that statement, no but as the 2005 C6 didn't break 8 min they see no need in mentioning that fact and have worked hard this past year tweaking the 2006 C6 to get it under the 8 min mark, and they did.]

Lastly-I brought up the internet "Ring" list that has "DAVE HILL" running the Ring at 7' 56" in a C6...He looked shocked at first then shook his head saying-"I'm not qualified to run a car at Speed at the Ring. NO! I have NOT run the ring for time in a Corvette."--he was very direct and specific on that point with a look on his face that I - I repeat "I" took to mean (my interpretation-NOT HIS STATEMENT) what idiot thinks I'm running Corvettes at race speeds on the ring.

When Corvette want official Ring times-they have a professional race driver do it (as all manufacturers do).

I'm hoping to get to Portland in 2 weeks and this time attend the entire weekend...If Dave is there I'll follow up with some more questions--I'm just curious as to the posts above--Did Dave Hill tell you it was a 2005 C6 or did he just say "C6" and your presuming it was a 2005. I only bring it up as I asked Dave very specific direct questions which he grasped and gave me back direct answers after I pinned him on a 'couple of seconds' to get the exact time at the Ring..breaking down the model years and he was VERY direct and specific back in stating no Ring time for the 2005 C6 but there was a Ring time for the 'improved' 2006 C6.

MY ANALYSIS--they are going to continue to improve the C6. Dave Hill is proud of the car and wants it to be the best Corvette in history...I firmly believe they are shooting for a 7' 55" at the Ring in a non-Z06 C6 Corvette in future years...they targeted Porsche and beat them--I strongly suspect they want clear King of the Hill status for the C6 over all prior C5's...

David

04 Z06 Silver mod/red
04 Mach 1

Last edited by Z06LUST; 07-19-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Z06LUST is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 03:23 PM
  #65  
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Scissors's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 83,198
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro
Next was the C6...this might be in conflict with posts above--He told me they never ran the 2005 C6 for an official time at the Ring. NOTE I SAID THE 2005 car. He did say the 2006 C6 had been run...He said it was right on top of the C5 Z06..and whats the difference of a couple of seconds. I stressed and pointed out all the internet crap and how misstatments were being beaten to death...so he said..ok...7:59 by JM in a 2006 C6...in his eyes...3 seconds on a 14 mile road course on totally different days isn't much--I agree but needed to quell rumors.
Good to finally get the specifics and an official time from a production C6.

And I agree--3 seconds on a course that long isn't much at all. It's close enough to make it a driver's race.

Thanks for the info!
Scissors is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
  #66  
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crash99

Dave also said that "we really do listen to our customers. But that doesn't always mean we do what they ask. Otherwise we wouldn't have a car that's 5 inches shorter or with fixed headlights."

Aarrggh!! Dave Hill, you give me back my pop-up headlights!


You guys can send a man to the moon but you can't make those neat flip up headlights that are lightweight and super durable?!


Sorry, reading that post tore open an old wound I thought was completely healed. I miss my flip up headlights already.

Ah well, at least the hood doesn't open from the front like a certain snake's never use to but does now. *vomits*

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 07-19-2005 at 03:27 PM.
1985 Corvette is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
  #67  
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Scissors's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 83,198
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro
Lastly-I brought up the internet "Ring" list that has "DAVE HILL" running the Ring at 7' 56" in a C6...He looked shocked at first then shook his head saying-"I'm not qualified to run a car at Speed at the Ring. NO! I have NOT run the ring for time in a Corvette."--he was very direct and specific on that point with a look on his face that I - I repeat "I" took to mean (my interpretation-NOT HIS STATEMENT) what idiot thinks I'm running Corvettes at race speeds on the ring. When Corvette want official Ring times-they have a professional race driver do it (as all manufacturers do.
Exactly. The list didn't even have his name originally. Some 'tard at some point added him as the driver.

The original truth of the 7:56 time was distorted as it was told over and over again. It was originally the best time they'd achieved with a preproduction vehicle (in other words, it wasn't for an official time and it wasn't necessarily using stock parts, such as tires) and driving by an unknown. This is what was reported in a European publication. But the story changed as people retold it until it turned into "Production car driven by Dave Hill."
Scissors is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
  #68  
Z06LUST
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LUST's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Citrus Heights CA
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Aarrggh!! Dave Hill, you give me back my pop-up headlights!
This issue was addressed by Dave and Doug Fehan (spelling?)...the C6 is not a normal Corvette in the way the new design was reached--in that many of the features of the C6 are a direct result of the C5R program--racing has influenced the design of the car more then ever before --this was also brough up in a Doug Fehan interview on the Speed Channel that was played during the 2005 Le Mans race...look at the Z06 and the C6-R--they look at lot alike for a reason...

Anyway...the pop up lights are a very sore point for the racing Corvettes--they create DRAG...the Race team also wanted a larger front opening for better breathing--so...racing influenced the front facia and loss of the head lights...its not about the pop up mechanism but about getting rid of them to improve the race cars areodynamics...I like and don't like the idea..still working it out... I specifically bought my 04 after the 05's were out as I do not like the new look...but I'm very slowing coming around now with the understanding of the changes being driven by the race interests....Do we lose street 'looks' (very personal here folks) for a better race profile??? For a while I suspect.....Thus the result in the often mentioned Corvette "5.5."..the car needed to change but not too much to throw the race team too big of a learning curve...

Last edited by Z06LUST; 07-19-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Z06LUST is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 04:15 PM
  #69  
Michael A
CF Senior Member
 
Michael A's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 3,913
Thanked 168 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro
So in this light during our discussions I got VERY specific with my questions--he very clearly stated it was a 2006 C6 that ran the 7'59" time at the Ring and NOT the 2005 C6. Now-do I expect much of a difference in the cars-no, but I just want the air cleared as to what car ran the time. During my talk with Dave he mentioned that the 'big target' for Corvette is the Prosche--911, Boxter and the new cheaper one I can't recall (Viper is a small produciton run car and not on their hit list as far as the 'normal' C6-an entirely different market).

Chevrolet was very concerned about 1 or more of those Porsche cars running under 8 mins at the Ring (they didn't) and thus set the goal of breaking 8 minutes with a normal production C6 (ie non-Z06 model)..he was extremely pleased when they broke it with the 2006 car this year....He had a smile like a kid in the candy store and repeated for me "2006" C6 followed by "We didn't run the 2005 C6 for time at the Ring" [Do I believe that statement, no but as the 2005 C6 didn't break 8 min they see no need in mentioning that fact and have worked hard this past year tweaking the 2006 C6 to get it under the 8 min mark, and they did.]

MY ANALYSIS--they are going to continue to improve the C6. Dave Hill is proud of the car and wants it to be the best Corvette in history...I firmly believe they are shooting for a 7' 55" at the Ring in a non-Z06 C6 Corvette in future years...they targeted Porsche and beat them--I strongly suspect they want clear King of the Hill status for the C6 over all prior C5's...

David

04 Z06 Silver mod/red
04 Mach 1
David,

I don't know if you misinterpreted what Dave Hill said, or Dave Hill is not aware of the Porsche 911 ring times. The 997S has already run under 8 minutes, driven by Walter Rohrl, and published in Wheels magazine June 2004 issue. They ran a 7:59. Then there are the other 911's, the 996 Turbo (7:56), 996 GT2 (7:46) and 996 GT3 (7:54), all running under eight minutes.

By the way, the new Cayman S, is not less expensive than the Boxter. It's about $8000 more. It ran a 8:11 (Autoweek), so the Corvette team is safe from that one.

Michael
Michael A is online now  
Old 07-19-2005, 04:26 PM
  #70  
Z06LUST
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LUST's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Citrus Heights CA
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Michael--I'm pretty sure it was the Cayman S as to the main car they were concerned with--Dave Hill mentioned the 8:11 time (he was surprised it hadn't done faster) but we also discussed the Boxster briefly (price point car)...during the discussion he mentioned the basic "3 Porsches" that they watched in terms of performance and cost (Chevy is very big on the 'value' word-we heard it a lot)..."I" included the base 911 in coming up with 3 'basic' cars...loooking back--the basic 3 Porsches to Hill and company would be--Boxter, Boxter S and the new Cayman....

thanks for the correction--during the converstion my mind was on getting Dave Hill to discuss 'exact' Corvette times and keeping the converstion focused in that direction and thus my slip as to what the other cars were other than "the lower priced Porsches" as I was working to get the conversation beyond that point.

Last edited by Z06LUST; 07-19-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Z06LUST is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 06:25 PM
  #71  
ivan111
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Carolina
Posts: 1,569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro
Michael--I'm pretty sure it was the Cayman S as to the main car they were concerned with--Dave Hill mentioned the 8:11 time (he was surprised it hadn't done faster) but we also discussed the Boxster briefly (price point car)...during the discussion he mentioned the basic "3 Porsches" that they watched in terms of performance and cost (Chevy is very big on the 'value' word-we heard it a lot)..."I" included the base 911 in coming up with 3 'basic' cars...loooking back--the basic 3 Porsches to Hill and company would be--Boxter, Boxter S and the new Cayman....

thanks for the correction--during the converstion my mind was on getting Dave Hill to discuss 'exact' Corvette times and keeping the converstion focused in that direction and thus my slip as to what the other cars were other than "the lower priced Porsches" as I was working to get the conversation beyond that point.

I think that the C6 Z51 with more powerful brake calipers and some suspension tweaks could run in the mid 7:50's.....

Will see what are the 2006 improvements.....

Last edited by ivan111; 07-19-2005 at 06:32 PM.
ivan111 is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
  #72  
Lazerwolfe
CF Senior Member
 
Lazerwolfe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: I am Jack's out-dated Fight Club reference. MD
Posts: 10,115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crash99

Speaking of listening to customers, it was confirmed by Karen Rafferty, Corvette Marketing Manager, that she often lurks on our humble Forum. So Karen, if you read this post, any chance we can see a Z in Mag Red? (Any chance you could take me for a drive in the Z while it's still in Sonoma? Better yet, any chance I can take you for a drive in the Z? )
Karen, I humbly apologize for the annoying people on the forum.
Lazerwolfe is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 07:44 PM
  #73  
rockettc
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 260
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro

Next was the C6...this might be in conflict with posts above--He told me they never ran the 2005 C6 for an official time at the Ring. NOTE I SAID THE 2005 car. He did say the 2006 C6 had been run...He initially said it was right on top of the C5 Z06..follwed by "whats the difference of a couple of seconds" (again, he is a sales guy and has a new product to sell). I stressed that at the ring a couple of seconds wasn't a big deal but then pointed out all the internet crap and how misstatments were being beaten to death...so he said.."ok"..."7:59 by JM in a 2006 C6"...in his eyes..."3 seconds" on a 14 mile road course on totally different days "isn't much"--I agree but needed to quell rumors.

David

04 Z06 Silver mod/red
04 Mach 1
Thanks for the report.

What's the difference between an official time and an unofficial time? (Ask Dave Hill this next week if you see him!) I think in both cases the GM personnel hold the stop watch. I think an official time is just when GM says its official.

The fact that Dave says there is no official time for the 2005 C6 but there is one for the 2006 is a little disturbing. It suggests that the unofficial time for the 2005 C6 wasn't very good. We'll never know. It will be interesting to see if the 2006 C6 with its "improvements" has better performance when it is tested by the magazines and maybe tuner shops.

I know this is the wrong area of the forum to suggest this, but it would be great if they could take the 2006 vert to the 'Ring and get a sub 8:00m lap time (How about 7:59.99m so everyone's happy.). Then GM could claim that all Corvettes are sub 8:00 minute 'Ringers. That would be impressive.
rockettc is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 07:53 PM
  #74  
Z06LUST
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LUST's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Citrus Heights CA
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Originally Posted by ivan111
I think that the C6 Z51 with more powerful brake calipers and some suspension tweaks could run in the mid 7:50's.....

Will see what are the 2006 improvements.....
And modded car can be modded to run about any time you want it to run--just keep modding....

But I suspect the 'improvements' of the 2006 over the 2005 are just that-tweaking! and they tweaked it enough to break 8 minutes...

Last edited by Z06LUST; 07-19-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Z06LUST is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:05 PM
  #75  
Z06LUST
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LUST's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Citrus Heights CA
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Originally Posted by rockettc
Thanks for the report.

What's the difference between an official time and an unofficial time? (Ask Dave Hill this next week if you see him!) I think in both cases the GM personnel hold the stop watch. I think an official time is just when GM says its official.

The fact that Dave says there is no official time for the 2005 C6 but there is one for the 2006 is a little disturbing. It suggests that the unofficial time for the 2005 C6 wasn't very good. We'll never know. It will be interesting to see if the 2006 C6 with its "improvements" has better performance when it is tested by the magazines and maybe tuner shops.

I know this is the wrong area of the forum to suggest this, but it would be great if they could take the 2006 vert to the 'Ring and get a sub 8:00m lap time (How about 7:59.99m so everyone's happy.). Then GM could claim that all Corvettes are sub 8:00 minute 'Ringers. That would be impressive.
Official I would presume to be just that--the car, driver etc are set to 'go'--perfect track conditions etc and then a ***** out run and they are happy enough with the outcome to publish it...

As far as the non-existent 2005 time...I personally believe there is one--damn close to 8 minutes...but GM/Chevy is looking for sales...bragging 'close' to 8 minutes isn't much of a marketing brag....Anyway--look at the original ads for the 2005 C6...they all stated close (3/4) to Z06 performance--why? They still had 04's on dealers lots to sell....As the number of 04 Z06's dwindled on the dealer lots...Chevy changed directions and pushed the positive side of C6 performance and how close it really is to the 04 Z06....."The king is dead, Long live the King". Getting close to 8 minutes is all they needed for the 2005 car...breaking it became important for the 06...

And as Hill mentioned to the entire group on Friday (I got video) they are not just stopping and sitting back--they are continuing to tinker and tinker with the C6 as their experience level with the car grows...You darn well better understand that they set their sights on a sub 8 minute mark for the 2006 C6 (Z51) to beat out Porsche but also for bragging rights as to a normal production car (not a limited car like the Z06) busting 8 minutes---they refined, tuned, tinkered, tweaked and finally did it---with 04 Z06 sales long gone and no need to protect that market..Hill and company are going full blast with the 'performance' of the C6...thus they will now brag about its' Ring time of under 8 minutes--barely but under is under.....

I do not think the changes from 05 to 06 will be noticable to the average joe out for a Sunday cruise (average joe's ain't being used to set Ring times)...But Chevy will just keep tweaking---as I'm sure the 07 will be tweaked...and I'm positive they have a target of under 7' 56" for the 07 or 08 C6....

Last edited by Z06LUST; 07-19-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Z06LUST is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 PM
  #76  
rockettc
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 260
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro
And as Hill mentioned to the entire group on Friday (I got video) they are not just stopping and sitting back--they are continuing to tinker and tinker with the C6 as their experience level with the car grows.
Video! Any way we could get the video on the forum? Or could someone host it?
rockettc is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:08 PM
  #77  
Z06LUST
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LUST's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Citrus Heights CA
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Rockette--pm me with a mailing address and I'll burn a DVD off my Video8 tape...its basicly a presentation of the C6 program (especially the C6 Z06) by Dave..not sure how great it is...a few heads in the way every once in a while...but I'll send you one if interested (note-I've yet to even rewind the tape so I haven't quality checked it yet)..I should have some Red Z06 footage on it also.

David

04 Z06 Silver mod/red
04 Mach 1
Z06LUST is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 PM
  #78  
ivan111
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Carolina
Posts: 1,569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro
Official I would presume to be just that--the car, driver etc are set to 'go'--perfect track conditions etc and then a ***** out run and they are happy enough with the outcome to publish it...

As far as the non-existent 2005 time...I personally believe there is one--damn close to 8 minutes...but GM/Chevy is looking for sales...bragging 'close' to 8 minutes isn't much of a marketing brag....Anyway--look at the original ads for the 2005 C6...they all stated close (3/4) to Z06 performance--why? They still had 04's on dealers lots to sell....As the number of 04 Z06's dwindled on the dealer lots...Chevy changed directions and pushed the positive side of C6 performance and how close it really is to the 04 Z06....."The king is dead, Long live the King". Getting close to 8 minutes is all they needed for the 2005 car...breaking it became important for the 06...

And as Hill mentioned to the entire group on Friday (I got video) they are not just stopping and sitting back--they are continuing to tinker and tinker with the C6 as their experience level with the car grows...You darn well better understand that they set their sights on a sub 8 minute mark for the 2006 C6 (Z51) to beat out Porsche but also for bragging rights as to a normal production car (not a limited car like the Z06) busting 8 minutes---they refined, tuned, tinkered, tweaked and finally did it---with 04 Z06 sales long gone and no need to protect that market..Hill and company are going full blast with the 'performance' of the C6...thus they will now brag about its' Ring time of under 8 minutes--barely but under is under.....

I do not think the changes from 05 to 06 will be noticable to the average joe out for a Sunday cruise (average joe's ain't being used to set Ring times)...But Chevy will just keep tweaking---as I'm sure the 07 will be tweaked...and I'm positive they have a target of under 7' 56" for the 07 or 08 C6....
Do you think that for 06 the Z51 suspension has been stiffen up?
ivan111 is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 PM
  #79  
Z06LUST
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LUST's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Citrus Heights CA
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

I gotta believe its suspension tweaks-probably shock settings like they did with the 04 Z06 improving on the 02/03 Z06.

I do not see an hp increase yet but by 2007-2008 I suspect the hp will rise to at least 405 if not higher--Dave Hill is really proud of the C6, I can't believe he doesn't want to put it in the books above the ZR1 and C5 Z06 in terms of both handling and HP ratings--maybe Dave gave a few more hints at the Saturday night dinner--I couldn't go.

I didn't hit him with questions about the 'changes' between the 2005 and 2006...he had stated he wouldn't talk about them due to the media info embargo during his speech and I respected that--I think by staying away from 'that' topic he was a little more willing to talk to me about the Ring times--I'm not a 'reporter' so I didn't push him other then when he said the 2006 C6 was right on top of the 04 Z06--I didn't settle for that and pushed a little to get the actual 3 second difference with the 7' 59" time[3 seconds is a big deal at the Ring with a professional race driver going to the wall, not that any of us could do that time which means for all practical purposes for street use by 'us' the 2006 C6 Z51 is really the match of the 04 Z06, except in looks (sorry, I'm a C5 guy in the looks dept)]....

I was just glad for the couple of minutes of conversation with Mr Hill--he is a very approachable guy, very unassuming, doesn't act like he is sometype of big shot etc--folks came up for autographs but with the wrong pens for the material to be signed--no big deal; Dave reached into his back pocket and pulled out a baggie with about 8 pens in it-gold, silver, thin, thick--very cool and never refused anyone an autograph.

The friends I was with told Dave about their 99 (former) being sideswiped by a bus in San Francisco and the outer door skin being peeled off with the door still operable...Dave asked for pics..they said 'sure' at which point Dave pulled out his wallet and gave them a business card for mailing address purposes..very cool...yeah, I have a photocopy of the card-no I'm not posting it on the net...
Z06LUST is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:52 PM
  #80  
Michael A
CF Senior Member
 
Michael A's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 3,913
Thanked 168 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 04retro
Michael--I'm pretty sure it was the Cayman S as to the main car they were concerned with--Dave Hill mentioned the 8:11 time (he was surprised it hadn't done faster) but we also discussed the Boxster briefly (price point car)...during the discussion he mentioned the basic "3 Porsches" that they watched in terms of performance and cost (Chevy is very big on the 'value' word-we heard it a lot)..."I" included the base 911 in coming up with 3 'basic' cars...loooking back--the basic 3 Porsches to Hill and company would be--Boxter, Boxter S and the new Cayman....

thanks for the correction--during the converstion my mind was on getting Dave Hill to discuss 'exact' Corvette times and keeping the converstion focused in that direction and thus my slip as to what the other cars were other than "the lower priced Porsches" as I was working to get the conversation beyond that point.
If the Boxster and Cayman are their targets, they are a bit low. The Boxster and Cayman don't have anywhere near the power of the Corvette. Porsche publishes the 0-60 of the Cayman S at 5.1. What's the C6? 4.3? A comparable target would be the 911S, which is what they are matching now with the 7:59 time. Even then, the Corvette has better acceleration than a 911S once underway (911S has great off the line acceleration due to its rear engine weight bias, but can't match the Corvette on rolling starts). If Chevy wants to show the world they can build a world class handling car, they have to beat the 911S. They have to show they can build a car that outhandles the competition with the same power. It's a tall order. Think about it. The 911S gets around the track with the same time as the 2006 C6, and it has less power, horrible weight distribution, and McPherson struts on the front! Those Porsche engineers are no slouches.

Michael
Michael A is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Tomorrow night (7/16) we'll know for sure!


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: