Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Retrictor Plate Racing VS Z06 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:12 PM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Retrictor Plate Racing VS Z06 ?

My Wife and I were watching the race at Talladega a couple of weeks ago, and I mentioned to her that the new Z06 would probably run just as fast as the Cup Cars at Talladega. They have more HP and about 250 pounds lighter. I just wonder if you took a bone stock Z06, and put some racing rubber on it to Talladega, what would it run? The Cup cars without drafting run about 188 MPH.

TRR
Old 10-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I think so... not sure it it'd run the full race w/o some kind of wear issues, but it does have full coolers so maybe. Problem is your mess up the paint.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:36 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I think so... not sure it it'd run the full race w/o some kind of wear issues, but it does have full coolers so maybe. Problem is your mess up the paint.
They ran the ZO6 24 hours nonstop on a a track and only stopped to refuel, change drivers and download information during testing and it faired very well..................
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

The new Z06 has more HP than the restrictor plate NASCAR engines. It would not be fair!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:53 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

If you take the restrictor plate off, then the red dragon really starts to breathe, but it is best to keep that on the "down low" as it isn't exactly 'street legal'.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vegasdude
They ran the ZO6 24 hours nonstop on a a track and only stopped to refuel, change drivers and download information during testing and it faired very well..................
And changed the brakes and tires numerous times.

Talledaga, only one way to find out. Someone needs to rent the track and let one loose. That is one bumpy old track though, I wouldn't do it without full race safety equip. 190 + in a street car on anything but a perfectly smooth surface is suicide. I think there is a super long and smooth test track in Texas most of the magazines do their top speed tests at.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vegasdude

Not a stock vehicle. Not a good comparison.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:50 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
The new Z06 has more HP than the restrictor plate NASCAR engines. It would not be fair!
Not true. Unrestricted NASCAR engine come in around 900 HP, while restricted engines come in around 600 HP.

But back to the point of running with the big boys. It is my belief that the Z06 would run with the (restricted) big boys, but only until the bumping and paint trading starts.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:05 PM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Not true. Unrestricted NASCAR engine come in around 900 HP, while restricted engines come in around 600 HP.

But back to the point of running with the big boys. It is my belief that the Z06 would run with the (restricted) big boys, but only until the bumping and paint trading starts.
I believe it's more like 850 HP & 450 HP

TRR
Old 10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just watch the Busch race and you'll be in the ballpark. They are running 450hp or so... And they weigh about 3,300# so you have a bit of an advantage there.

I've thought that too.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you ever driven a restrictor plate car? NO POWER. The Corvette with Headers, bars, aero, etc should out run them.

However, we will never know.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:52 PM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
If you take the restrictor plate off, then the red dragon really starts to breathe, but it is best to keep that on the "down low" as it isn't exactly 'street legal'.

Great quote!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 PM
DJWorm
Instructor

Default C6R restrictor plates

The C6R is mandated to run 31.8 mm restrictor plates in it's dual inlets and produces 590 HP.

Unrestricted the C6R engines produce 800 HP.

I would like to see the C6R's run Talledega....unrestricted.

Would make NASCAR look like slug namby pansies.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWorm
The C6R is mandated to run 31.8 mm restrictor plates in it's dual inlets and produces 590 HP.

And has to be able to run for 24 hours (e.g. leMans or over 2,500 miles) while a NASCAR engine only has to run for 600 miles.

The oval track, not the infield track.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SAXN8R
Great quote!

Frank the tank never fails to satisfy!

We're going STREAKING! Cmon snoop-a-loop!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:53 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

You guys are all crazy...have any of you ever been on a race track...more than once? A well set up Cup car would kill the Z06...it's not all about horsepower. As a matter of fact HP has much less to do with fast lap times than suspension and proper set up. The new Z06, while a very aggressive street car does not have the suspension set up required to pull fast laps on an oval competitively. Even with an HP and weight advantage...NO WAY! The tires on a cup car are much wider than the wide Z06 tires and the brakes on a cup car are much better than anything you could buy on the street, the camber and toe would make you crash on the street. I would imagine a Cup car would do another 40MPH easy through the corners which would make up for ANY strait line speed.

As much as it sounds, I am NOT a NASCRAP fan, just knowledgable about proper suspension set up and it's effect on race cars...I personally HAVE driven on just about every race course from NC to CT several times over from road to oval. I have driven against 600HP Vipers with my almost stock C5Z06 (but with a race set up) and KILL them everytime...my corner speeds cause me to pull lap times several seconds faster, not tenths...

Boys with your toys...great cars, but please be realistic.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
...HP has much less to do with fast lap times than suspension and proper set up. The new Z06, while a very aggressive street car does not have the suspension set up required to pull fast laps on an oval competitively.
...The tires on a cup car are much wider than the wide Z06 tires and the brakes on a cup car are much better ...

Even though the Z06 would have more HP it would have to slow down big time to make it through the 33 degree 3 story tall turns. Cup cars are running 4,000 lbs springs.

I don't agree that the cup car tires are bigger, or the brakes. They run a pretty small brake package on the superspeedways, not like the mamouth calipers, rotors, blowers, and air intakes they would at say Martinsville.

anyway, I don't even know if the Z06 could hit top speed before having to slow down to about 120 mph (guess) for the banking.

Get notified of new replies

To Retrictor Plate Racing VS Z06 ?

Old 10-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DJWorm

Well that wouldn't be fair would it? If you are going to be unrestricted, you'll have to let them go unrestricted too!

Nextel open engines run over 800hp.

P.S. Good restrictor plate history page: http://www.jayski.com/stats/restrictor.htm
Old 10-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

And has to be able to run for 24 hours (e.g. leMans or over 2,500 miles) while a NASCAR engine only has to run for 600 miles.
Ahh, but the Nextel cup engine is about 70 cubic inches lower in displacement than the C6R

Also, according to this page: http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/t...=engine&bhcp=1

The engines are re-used except for the pistons, valves and springs and they are run up to 15 races.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Chris Britt
Racer

Great thread. Wish Jimmy Johnson would do it in his car against Dale Jr. In The Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Retrictor Plate Racing VS Z06 ?