Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 or Porsche 997s

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:12 PM
fl0950
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z06 or Porsche 997s

I'm new to this board, but am torn between a new Z and the 997S. I have never owned a Vette, but have always admired them (from my first ride in my cousin's new '67 427 convertible). The new Z06 is stunning, and probably the first Vette I have ever seriously considered. I realize it is faster than the Porsche, but am hesitating over build quality and interior design. I realize there is a $20k price difference, and in that sense the Z is much more performance per dollar. The 997S seems more like a grand touring car in comparison.

So for any 997 owners out there that also own a Z, any thoughts on how they compare? Does the performance of the Z compensate for its lower quality interior? Can I actually order a Z (here in SoCal) without paying too much over sticker or is this just an excercise in frustration?

Thanks for all your help - great forum. BTW, black with polished wheels is incredible.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:15 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

I suggest for you the 997. If you are worried about interior quality You will soil your shorts with the power. Can't stain the plastic now
Old 10-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Get the 997s..Z is not for you
Old 10-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fl0950
The 997S seems more like a grand touring car in comparison.

Welcome!

Being that you are in vette country you can guess what the popular vote will be here. There are many on this board who have owned both and have loved the Z06. There's nothing like the torque the vette has. If you're truly looking for a street legal complete race car....the Z06 is it. If you just want a very nice sports car to cruise in the right-hand lane to be seen in, then go for the 997.

Bottom line is the interior really isn't too bad.......remember....you're looking for a sports car, not a BARCALOUNGER!

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're serious about performance over other factors, go with the Z. Cost of ownership & perceived status among a broader people probably weigh in for the Porsche. I have an '02 Z and joke with people all the time about my "cheesy" corvette, but bottom line is nothing short of a 911 turbo drives like it on a track and that car costs 2.5x as much as I paid for my vette. That's where my priority is. You'll never use all the Z's performance on the street so if it's just a weekend touring car, go with the Porsche.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:43 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I've driven both. The 997S is a very nice car in it's own right. If you're interested in a 'pretty' interior, prestige, and overall better 'liveability' get the 997. If you want a street-legal racecar, it's the Z06 hands down.

After driving the C6 Z06, the 997S felt pretty tame and even slightly boring.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Hartley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I don't own a C6 Z06 I do have a 2005 997s and have owned other c5 vettes.

If I had to choose one car, it would be the Porsche hands down. The quality, dealer treetment, speed and overall feedback feel of the car is top notch. Although the Z06 will kick it's butt in a race, how often does one truly race let alone on the street.

Really depends on what you want, fast street car or true track racer.

I'm thinking of the Z06 as a second car when the prices come down.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:22 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's what happened to me yesterday. An older couple in a extremely well kept red Porsche (I guess the vintage is early to mid 90s) saw me driving the Z going the opposite direction, he doubled back to follow me to my destination. He approached me as I got out, and asked all kinds of questions about the Z. He's a Porsche fanatic for sure. Toward the end of our conversation, he remarked: "This is the only Vette that I'd trade my Porsche in for." On the surface, it would seem that his comment was not complimentary, as in, he's been looking down on Vettes all these years. Right or wrong, this new Z06 commands attention and respect from people who would not have given a Corvette a 2nd glance.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by fl0950
I'm new to this board, but am torn between a new Z and the 997S. I have never owned a Vette, but have always admired them (from my first ride in my cousin's new '67 427 convertible). The new Z06 is stunning, and probably the first Vette I have ever seriously considered. I realize it is faster than the Porsche, but am hesitating over build quality and interior design. I realize there is a $20k price difference, and in that sense the Z is much more performance per dollar. The 997S seems more like a grand touring car in comparison.

So for any 997 owners out there that also own a Z, any thoughts on how they compare? Does the performance of the Z compensate for its lower quality interior? Can I actually order a Z (here in SoCal) without paying too much over sticker or is this just an excercise in frustration?

Thanks for all your help - great forum. BTW, black with polished wheels is incredible.
The edge that the 997S has in interior quality over the Z is compensated by the Z higher quality lightweight materials in the engine (Titanium rods, valves,springs), Frame (Aluminum), Front Fender and floor (Carbon Fiber) and Magnesium for the engine cradle and roof frame....

So no wonder that there was no money left for the interior.

If the interior is a priority for you get the 997 BUT is you want supercar performance and can live with some plastics here and there then get the Z.....
Old 10-24-2005, 11:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The 997 porsche is a beautiful car. Certainly one to be proud of. That said ...the Corvette C6 Z06 is a supercar exotic that has performance that will never cease to amaze you as the years pile on.

The cost of ownership is basically $90 oil changes and tires........

There is no service needed on these cars...

The Corvette Z06 is overbuilt for hardcore performance and just doesn't break..

I really recommend the C6 Z06 over the 997 as great a car as the porsche is.

Good luck in whatever you decide. They are both among the worlds best sports cars. You can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 PM
1Day
Drifting

if you were going to consider a 997 Turbo then I would have said Turbo but Z06 hands down..911s might have all the refinements but I would pick the Z06 but if you get into the Turbo category then a porsche for sure..
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

For me if it's not a Lambo it's a ZO6 and nothing in between Period
Old 10-25-2005, 01:26 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a super car that will get a lot of attention you only have one choice...................my wife was a little upset at first when I got this, but when she found out from other people how special this car is, she realized that all the hype I was telling her was true and that this was a once-in-a-life-time purchase of history. This car is truly a first................she loves to ride in it and now is learning about the car..................
Old 10-25-2005, 01:28 AM
viabono
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Here's what happened to me yesterday. An older couple in a extremely well kept red Porsche (I guess the vintage is early to mid 90s) saw me driving the Z going the opposite direction, he doubled back to follow me to my destination. He approached me as I got out, and asked all kinds of questions about the Z. He's a Porsche fanatic for sure. Toward the end of our conversation, he remarked: "This is the only Vette that I'd trade my Porsche in for." On the surface, it would seem that his comment was not complimentary, as in, he's been looking down on Vettes all these years. Right or wrong, this new Z06 commands attention and respect from people who would not have given a Corvette a 2nd glance.
Exactly. It's a new era for Corvette!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:40 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I do not own, but have seriously considered a 997S. The 997S is a great car, and good looking. If you go the Porsche boards, you'll get a group there who will say they would never own a Corvette, and I am sure there are people here who would say the same thing about a Porsche. I would gladly own either one. There were some things that kept pulling me back to the Z06, though.

1) It's a true 2-seater. There is something about driving a 2-seater, that just feels more sporty. It's just you and the car, plus one extra seat.

2) There is a lot of technology in the Z06 that is not in the Porsche:

*keyless entry and drive (probably one of those things that once you have it you never want to go back)

*head up display (another thing which is hard to give up once you have it)

*satellite radio

*a stability control that can actually be turned off and kept off

3) Mechanically the Z06 has some things which make it a bit more high-end:

* true dry sump engine oiling (Porsche stretches the truth about this in their brochures).

* limited slip differential (only available on the 997 in Europe with the Sport package).

* double A-arm front suspension rather than struts

* two more cylinders

* better weight distribution

* titanium connecting rods

* six-piston front calipers

4) Then there is the value equation.

* a bypass muffler system at no extra cost

* bright exhaust tips at no extra charge

* tire pressure montoring included at no charge

* the navigation system is $1000 less

In fact, I calculated that a similarly equiped 997S would cost $92,028 compared to a fully equipped Z06 at $70,300 (without the polished wheels).

From a quality standpoint, the Porsche is still plagued with the dreaded rear main seal leak. Rattles also seem to be prevalent. A lot of Corvette people have complained about paint orange peel, but when I went to the Porsche dealership, it was only slightly better.

While I think the dealer service would be better at a Porsche dealer, I think the cost of ownership would be lower with the Corvette. The 911 service manuals are $2400 (very thorough, but expensive). The Corvette's is $150. Porsche 911 people often complain about poor rear tire life. Plus I have spent a lot of time on the Porsche boards and the Corvette board, and you will not find a group of people who will more completely dissect a car more than Corvette people. I have yet to find a problem with my Corvette, in which someone here hasn't already posted the answer. It seems like every repair and modification, right down to reprogramming the engine computer has already been done by someone.

Of course, it is always nice to have one car in your lifetime, which literally has the performance of a race car, something perhap you have never experienced before.

Those are a few things to think about. Good luck with your decision.

Michael
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by dr.david
I suggest for you the 997. If you are worried about interior quality You will soil your shorts with the power. Can't stain the plastic now
Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

997 is the car for you. Don't waste your time getting a Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 or Porsche 997s

Old 10-25-2005, 08:14 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

I think these guys are a bit sensitive about the Z (one beast of a fine car). There is a certain amount of snobbery associated with owning some of that German stuff. Really silly considering that Porsche has it's problems with quality and durability as well.

But, you've got to get what you like, period. For me it would be a no-brainer. I've never liked the looks of the Porsche, but that's me. The difference in performance between the two cars is staggering.

My VR Z06 is on order...
Old 10-25-2005, 09:11 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My experience is with 996 and 997 and Cup cars on the track. The C5 ZO6 or high modified C5 Coupe, or C6 Z51 has no problems handling the P car in a straight line speed. Cornering is a differnt matter. The P cars have far better suppensions and corner better the the vettes event with the vettes with the racing T1 suppensions.

Braking is a differnt matter too. The stock Corvette brakes with race pads stop far better and in a shorter distance then the P cars with those big Brembos. and forget the high dollar ceramic brakes, they are really awful at stopping the p cars.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:24 AM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
forget the high dollar ceramic brakes, they are really awful at stopping the p cars.
I thought they perform extreemly well on extensive track use..? not really on a regular driving situation...??

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 or Porsche 997s