Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Death of a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:47 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey dont know if anyone saw this but I found it on www.iaai.com its a auction site auction, auto auctions all over the country so if you want it you can try to buy it at auction has to be some good parts left....maybe

Old 12-30-2005, 08:47 PM
mikeivan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Or maybe

Originally Posted by robvuk
How much you wanna bet he had AH turned off!
The grease monkey at the dealership turned AH off for his test drive and the owner never noticed until...........
Old 12-31-2005, 02:43 PM
jjjflex
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kewlbrz
Not true. All cars inlcluding the cheapest imports can reach dangerous speeds and loose control with the wrong driver. The new Z06 is probably more controllable than many cars with half the horsepower and half the technology.

People running on bald tires, poor maintenance, the list goes on and on.

Dont blame it on HP.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:47 PM
Alex D
Drifting

I always wish that an isurance would not pay such a dumbass driver and make him pay for his moronic behavior! In the end all of us are paying for this Z06 through our insurance bills.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:00 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,603 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by og5
2. Let me ask you, why can we not own assault rifles without a special permit (that is almost impossible for an average joe to get) Assault rifles can defend a home much better than a handgun, yet there are enormous restrictions placed on them.
I happen to own a semi-auto assault weapon, I had no particular problem obtaining it. The assult weapons ban ended Sept 14 2004.

Assault weapons are not very suitable for home defense because of the balistics of the bullet. After leaving the barrel, traversing the oponent, the bullet continues on its merry way through your house wall, across your yard, into your neighbors house wall and on to who knows what.

If you are serious about defendng your home, a shot gun is vastly more potent in stopping the criminal, not missing if you have to pull the triggger, and almost incapable of doing anyone outside your home walls any harm whatsoever. There is virtually no chance that you will have to pull the triger more than once per criminal--not so with a assault weapon; which tend to drill nice clean tiny holes throgh the victim. Finally, (basicaly) everybody knows the sound of a pump action shot gum closing down a round in the chamber. This sound, all by itself, will stop 80% of criminals in their tracks.

Assualt weapons are really for the 50 yards to 150 yard range when facing numerous opponents, a situation rarely encountered inside your home.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex D
I always wish that an isurance would not pay such a dumbass driver and make him pay for his moronic behavior! In the end all of us are paying for this Z06 through our insurance bills.
That's the point of insurance!

You guys are making a bunch of assumptions and so far I haven't seen diddly squat for facts to support them.

No one here has shown any evidence that AH was turned off, or on.

I haven't seen any evidence whether the driver was doing something stupid, or avoiding something, or doing something that didn't seem so stupid but circumstances changed and he/she wrecked.

I once hit a turn at a reasonable, but near the limit speed, when I was first driving in Florida only to find that halfway into the turn was a line where it had rained. It was instantaneous. Dry/wet. When I hit the wet, I went around. I was fortunate that I stayed on the roadway and didn't hit anything. Accidents happen. Don't be so quick to judge without knowing the facts.

And ultimately, many of you are hypocrites. But for the grace of God, there go I applies. If this truly could not ever happen to you, then you are using your Z06 quite a bit more conservatively than I use mine.

Last edited by Tom Steele; 12-31-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:16 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
I happen to own a semi-auto assault weapon, I had no particular problem obtaining it. The assult weapons ban ended Sept 14 2004.

Assault weapons are not very suitable for home defense because of the balistics of the bullet. After leaving the barrel, traversing the oponent, the bullet continues on its merry way through your house wall, across your yard, into your neighbors house wall and on to who knows what.

If you are serious about defendng your home, a shot gun is vastly more potent in stopping the criminal, not missing if you have to pull the triggger, and almost incapable of doing anyone outside your home walls any harm whatsoever. There is virtually no chance that you will have to pull the triger more than once per criminal--not so with a assault weapon; which tend to drill nice clean tiny holes throgh the victim. Finally, (basicaly) everybody knows the sound of a pump action shot gum closing down a round in the chamber. This sound, all by itself, will stop 80% of criminals in their tracks.

Assualt weapons are really for the 50 yards to 150 yard range when facing numerous opponents, a situation rarely encountered inside your home.

If im in a house fight I want my side arm

1) your in confined space

2) if you come around a corner with your barrel sticking out from your rifle I can either grab it out of your hands and use it on you or just blast you through the dry wall
Old 12-31-2005, 07:18 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alex D

How are 90% of Corvettes wrecked?

Ill give you one guess

Its front end damage so whoever was driving hit something

Ill be glad to pull up pictures of the current stock of corvettes from the nations auto auctions less the flood damaged ones just the accident cars

almost all of them are front end wrecks

so its part of the beast and you'll never escape it.

same thing for porches ferraris lamborghinis vipers you name it if its fast most are wrecked in the nose

same goes for motorcycles

and if you think your paying for this guys accident well you pay for them all I guess

Last edited by phrogs; 12-31-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:48 PM
f430
Advanced

Originally Posted by game on
God forbid people start suing GM for building Corvettes with too much HP!

With the way things are in this country, I would not be surprised to see a lawsuit. Can see it now, "they told me it was safe, active handling and all, etc".
Maybe gm should require proof of experience with a car at speed such as a high perf driving school or racing license as ford did with their mustangs about 10 yrs ago. Of course any idiot can crash a car with less than 200hp. My guess is percentage-wise more people wreck cars with less than 500 hp than more than 500 hp.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
faststuff
Advanced

black box disconnected? gm want the car back for research?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:01 AM
stope
Heel & Toe

Any c5+ is capable of being deadly even in experienced hands. When a car gets faster and can handle better that means when there is a wreck it will be at a greater speed. In conjunction with this, safety equipment in cars has likewise gotten better. Someone said that the c6 z06 is much faster than any cars from the 60's, your right. Truely its faster or as fast as any accessible car ever made. But if this wreck was in the 60's the driver would be dead because he wouldnt have had a seat belt on and wouldnt have had an airbag. Technology caused him to wreck at a higher speed, but technology also allowed him to survive it. I would personally rather wreck at 60 mph with a seat belt and air bag then 35 mph with no seat belt or airbag.

I agree that having a mandatory performance driving class could make us better at driving. But it won't necesarrily make us better drivers. It could make a lot of us think, "well now i'm a certified performance driver so it's okay for me to push the limit because I know how properly."

Give us a car that can take a corner at 35 and we want 40. Give us a car that can take a corner at 40 and we want 45. We live in a nation of excess and extreme - everyone wants the bigger, badder, faster thing. This go big or go home, push everything to it's limit mentality is whats causing us to hurt ourselves and the response from organizations and the goverment are going to be to protect us. This is because ultimatly we need to continue to exist and be healthy inorder to support everything. But many of us, me included, find it fun to take things to the limit. The safer things are made, the more rules we are going to break. I would correlate americans as the teenage children when compared to other countries. We all want the biggest or fastest or baddest car and we all want to do exactly what we want. We should learn moderation, but its too much fun to live in excess. Wrecks like this are just a casualty of living how we want to.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
almare
Heel & Toe

Default Driving school

All That Power Some Of You Should Invest In Bondurant
Best Thing I Ever Did Four Days Of Racing School In A Corvette. Skip Barber Was Good Also And You Dont Have To Fly To Arizona Just A Though

Almare 2006 Zo6
Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 PM
KRAYZ308
Racer

Originally Posted by f430
Maybe gm should require proof of experience with a car at speed such as a high perf driving school or racing license as ford did with their mustangs about 10 yrs ago. Of course any idiot can crash a car with less than 200hp. My guess is percentage-wise more people wreck cars with less than 500 hp than more than 500 hp.
I am a big fan of and attendee of a proper driving school. The reality is that most Americans could not qualify for a driving liscence in the UK or Europe. But PLEASE stop trying to protect everyone from themselves with more laws. Whatever happened to natural selection? And I don't buy the argument that you are protecting ourselves and our familys from " the other guy" with mandated high performance driving school requirements. If you're smart enough, then you will learn how to drive at speed from an instructor. Flame suit on.

Last edited by KRAYZ308; 01-07-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:52 PM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by phrogs

If im in a house fight I want my side arm

1) your in confined space

2) if you come around a corner with your barrel sticking out from your rifle I can either grab it out of your hands and use it on you or just blast you through the dry wall
I agree, but the former point is correct as well. You want low velocity, high spread ammo, so that if you miss, it ends up in the wall, and not in your kid in the next room, or your neighbor next door. Drove me nuts when guys bought .357s for home defense. My home mix is a .45 ACP (ramped, throated, S&W white outline rear sights on orange fronts for night) with Silvertips. Low velocity, high punch, soft open front. Not legal everywhere, but it is legal here.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Colonel Z06
Instructor

I don't know how this thread went the way it did, but I like Phrog's initial response to the "home invasion". Obviously, a *****-to-the-wall "jar-head" maneuver! No doubt spent a little time in ITS, hey big guy? "C Lejeune?" I, however, have gotten a little older and somewhat lazy and don't have the macho inclination to be grabbing at a home invader with a rifle! I'll take my 20-inch barrel S&W stainless riot pump with 2"3/4 double-ott buck, pop off a couple of rounds and invite the medical examiner over with paint scrapers to perform the autopsy. Semper Fi--Phrog

Quick Reply: [Z06] Death of a Z06