Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] zo6 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bdawson82
So much for my early diagnosis, broke an axle shaft....I guess something needs to be the weakest link....
To break a half-shaft on stock tires is really surprising.

Must have dead hooked on that clutch dump you described earlier.

Still should not happen. The half-shafts on the C6Z are hardened. So it must have been a bad part.

Please describe the road surface you launched on. Was is concrete? perhaps reasonably fresh concrete. If so, that might explain a dead-hook.

I'd hate to think it was blacktop.

Ranger
Old 12-30-2005, 05:34 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

So much for my early diagnosis, broke an axle shaft. Differential was trying to pull both sides, but would not hold enough to pull against any type of load. That is why it seemed to be something slipping. Will be an easy fix when axle shaft gets here on Tuesday. I guess something needs to be the weakest link and this will be a clean and easy problem to correct. Do not think this will cause me to drive it any different when I get it back. If you have never looked at the underneath side of your 0606 it is very interesting to look at when it is up on a rack.
I'm curious when your car was built. Late last summer Z06 shipments were held up and a few hundred cars had upgraded parts installed. It was kept pretty quiet, but supposedly some left axle shafts had broken and new, stronger shafts were installed. I've forgotten the exact VIN range, but I think it was around 100300 through 100700. Cars built after that had the stronger shafts factory installed. I'm wondering if this is still a weak link...Which axle broke and what was your VIN range?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
bdawson82
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iwas on blacktop , it was the right hand axle shaft that broke. I will say it was nearly new blacktop just right to hook up. VIN # is 1G1YY26E465103792. Best info I can give right now. Thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 585 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Interesting how Junior members seem to be having all sorts of engine problems.
From now on, lets see photographs of the bad parts before starting rumors.

Almost all cell phones have cameras, film is cheap, digital photos easy to post.

The C6 Z06 is going to cut deeply into sales of the Ford GT and Viper. My guess is we'll see many posts like this one, with no proof, and always from a Junior member who just happened to see one at the dealer, or pulled off the road.

If the forum would not respond to this crap unless digital pics accompany the post, we could keep the Z06 reputation accurate.

Last edited by Halltech; 12-30-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ranger
To break a half-shaft on stock tires is really surprising.

Must have dead hooked on that clutch dump you described earlier.

Still should not happen. The half-shafts on the C6Z are hardened. So it must have been a bad part.

Please describe the road surface you launched on. Was is concrete? perhaps reasonably fresh concrete. If so, that might explain a dead-hook.

I'd hate to think it was blacktop.

Ranger
The half-shafts are now solid hardened gear steel. Look at the new specs and decide for yourself if this post is valid.

http://www.corvettels7.com/products/Transinfo.pdf
Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 PM
bdawson82
Intermediate

When this happened to me and my 0606 I felt so bad for what had happened to my car that I went to google and typed in 2006 Z06 forums which led me here. My Chevrolet dealers name is Autry Morlan Chevrolet Cadillac in Dexter Missouri. His phone number is 573-624-8912, the service managers name is Dewayne Tipton. After they reopen Tuesday and I find it convenient in my schedule to get someone to post a picture of my broken axle I will do so. I came here to see if anyone else had this problem. If this happening to me gives anyone else any useful information, then so be it. To be berated as some of the posts on this forum attempt to do, I can only reply as I have done. If someone has a way to pull my posted VIN# up and see who is listed as the owner of my car do so and see if you can find the mortage holder on it as well. Good Luck. For those of you who appreciate this information I will continue to post about this, with pictures if possible, until I get my toy back.

Last edited by bdawson82; 01-04-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:54 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
The half-shafts are now solid hardened gear steel. Look at the new specs and decide for yourself if this post is valid.

http://www.corvettels7.com/products/Transinfo.pdf
Did I miss something? The link does not mention anything about half-shaft changes.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:03 PM
bdawson82
Intermediate

I thought the same thing Petefias, but being a junior member I decided to keep it to myself.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:29 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys take it easy, he has given us everything but the photos.......phone numbers and vin numbers is a show of good faith..........be cool................
Old 12-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

bdawson82 seems legit to me. And I appreciate reading the details of his incident and the repair.

I'm sure longtime members recall that in the C5Zs there were a small number of parts that broke under moderate to heavy use. Most were simply bad parts, rather than design deficiencies.

For example, I watched a couple stock C5Z06s on stock tires break half-shafts. Never happened to me. But my 2001 had exactly one bad rocker arm that chose to break on a cold morning start up.

Looks like bdawson82 had a bad right half-shaft.

Ranger
Old 12-30-2005, 08:41 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

So your reason for posting your VIN, dealer, service manager, etc. is to what end?
I'm still calling BS until we see pics. I'll be the first to apologizeat that time.
Mr. Jim Hall,
I guess since you've been a member longer than most in this thread, this gives you the free pass to call BS and brand someone a liar. Who, it seems possible, may simply be sharing an actual (not to mention a major bummer for him) experience.
Is your only goal in this section of the forum to sift for BSers and call them out? And this would be to what end?
Tis only a guess, but you might want to have that apology at the ready.
Oh, one more thing- you made a comment in your first post about people not responding to this kind of "crap", but you now have the honor of the most posts in this thread.
Just thought I'd point that out.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:44 PM
headup
Instructor

Originally Posted by vegasdude
Hey guys take it easy, he has given us everything but the photos.......phone numbers and vin numbers is a show of good faith..........be cool................
Old 12-31-2005, 12:22 AM
DrDan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

So much for my early diagnosis, broke an axle shaft. Differential was trying to pull both sides, but would not hold enough to pull against any type of load. That is why it seemed to be something slipping. Will be an easy fix when axle shaft gets here on Tuesday. I guess something needs to be the weakest link and this will be a clean and easy problem to correct. Do not think this will cause me to drive it any different when I get it back. If you have never looked at the underneath side of your 0606 it is very interesting to look at when it is up on a rack.
Sorry to hear about the broken axle. Thanks for the info. Keep us posted! (ps: is "apologizeat" a word?)
Old 12-31-2005, 12:56 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

bdawson82 seems legit to me. And I appreciate reading the details of his incident and the repair.

I'm sure longtime members recall that in the C5Zs there were a small number of parts that broke under moderate to heavy use. Most were simply bad parts, rather than design deficiencies.

For example, I watched a couple stock C5Z06s on stock tires break half-shafts. Never happened to me. But my 2001 had exactly one bad rocker arm that chose to break on a cold morning start up.

Looks like bdawson82 had a bad right half-shaft.

Ranger
Maybe, we'll see when the pics are posted. I'll have no problem eating crow and apologizing if that is the case. (That's where apologizeat comes from)

Last edited by Halltech; 12-31-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:02 AM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

, film is cheap, .

so is being a forum vendor, but hey cant always have everything on hand now can we

we could keep the Z06 reputation accurate.

Yeah i can see from this post you are keeping yours accurate as well

what a low class response
Old 12-31-2005, 03:12 AM
Boomer 2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CB1953
Another one of them morans............
Do you think you should be able to spell MORON before you call somebody one ???

Old 12-31-2005, 03:47 AM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Boomer 2
Do you think you should be able to spell MORON before you call somebody one ???

that one went over boomers head

Get notified of new replies

To zo6 clutch

Old 12-31-2005, 06:17 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
so is being a forum vendor, but hey cant always have everything on hand now can we

Yeah i can see from this post you are keeping yours accurate as well

what a low class response
You are right. I should have waited, before expressing my opinion. Excuse me for interrupting the thread. I simply based my guess that this poster was not for real based on the content of his first post.

I apologize ahead of time to whomever this gentleman is. I'll just wait to see how it all turns out.

I think Ranger's take on this is probably more accurate than mine, since he has much more launch time than I do.

Please accept my apology, and Happy New Year.

Jim
Old 12-31-2005, 06:20 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Happy New Year Jim.

Ranger
Old 12-31-2005, 06:27 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Happy New Year Jim.

Ranger
When do you pick up your Z06? Everyone is looking forward to your experience.

Best of luck in the new year.

Quick Reply: [Z06] zo6 clutch