Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] zo6 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:09 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
When do you pick up your Z06? Everyone is looking forward to your experience.

Best of luck in the new year.
Thanks, Jim. My TPW is Jan 30. Dealer, in Iowa, expect to have the car by mid-Feb. I'll fly out and drive it back to Maryland. Should be ready to start making passes when the tracks open in Maryland in March. Hope we get some Spring track rentals lined up, where the rule enforcement on sub-11.50 will be relaxed. Researching the drag radial options now.

Ranger
Old 12-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 585 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thanks, Jim. My TPW is Jan 30. Dealer, in Iowa, expect to have the car by mid-Feb. I'll fly out and drive it back to Maryland. Should be ready to start making passes when the tracks open in Maryland in March. Hope we get some Spring track rentals lined up, where the rule enforcement on sub-11.50 will be relaxed. Researching the drag radial options now.

Ranger
Let me know when you drive home. You are welcome to stop by Wisconsin for a visit, weather permitting. Drove through the snow today. Believe it or not the Z06 tracks great.

Two years ago, I drove Debbie's C5 through a snow storm going over the summit in CO at 2:00 AM. There was zero visibility and no where to stop. The snow pack was not too deep, but the C5 was the best handling car I have ever driven through the snow, and I think they make great toboggans
Old 12-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ Thanks for the kind offer, Jim. Would be fun. Will have to see what happens with my business sched to see how compressed that return trip must be. I've driven the CO summit in heavy snow many times in an SUV. Takes ***** or really bad luck to do it in a Corvette.

Take care,

Ranger
Old 12-31-2005, 08:26 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
that one went over boomers head
Yes it did....WAY over............
Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 AM
bdawson82
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

Thanks for all the recent posts, I'm starting to feel right at home [in more ways than one] I have to spend time with the wife today,sometime when I have more time I;ll tell some good one's about my vette history starting with my brand new L82 1976 [I was 18 and my dad did'nt know I had ordered it until I pulled up in it]bought from same dealership where my 0606 sits on the rack today,damn I miss that car.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:23 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1953
Yes it did....WAY over............
we need to repost the pic.............it's always good for a laugh!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:55 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasdude
we need to repost the pic.............it's always good for a laugh!
Unless it's posted by Mike Moran...then we'll be in trouble!!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bdawson82 seems legit to me. And I appreciate reading the details of his incident and the repair.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:28 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ranger
Same as my TPW. Pick yours up in Bowling green with me. We'll go to beachbend and race. . I'll bet you one dollar.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:26 PM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

You are right. I should have waited, before expressing my opinion. Excuse me for interrupting the thread. I simply based my guess that this poster was not for real based on the content of his first post.

I apologize ahead of time to whomever this gentleman is. I'll just wait to see how it all turns out.

I think Ranger's take on this is probably more accurate than mine, since he has much more launch time than I do.

Please accept my apology, and Happy New Year.

Jim
happy new year to you Jim!

hopefully this guy is correct in his statements!
Old 01-01-2006, 06:40 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

You are right. I should have waited, before expressing my opinion. Excuse me for interrupting the thread. I simply based my guess that this poster was not for real based on the content of his first post.

I apologize ahead of time to whomever this gentleman is. I'll just wait to see how it all turns out.

I think Ranger's take on this is probably more accurate than mine, since he has much more launch time than I do.

Please accept my apology, and Happy New Year.

Jim
Old 01-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by greenshirt77
After seven years on the forum, my gut feeling tells me that this one is bogus.

I'll just keep my opinion to myself in the future. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. My guess is that we'll not see any proof of this mishap, but if we do, this will be bad news for the drag racers like me.

I saw GM's upgrade to a 9" gear and extra hardware such as a one piece half-shaft as a quantum leap forward. If this turns out to be true, that will end my plans on ever drag racing our car. The M300 half shafts will only find other weak links.

I emailed this gentleman and apologized for jumping his case, but we'll see how he follows up on his pictures. His subsequent posts seem more sincere than his initial garble, which lead me to the belief that it was a false insincere plant.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:39 PM
bdawson82
Intermediate

Jim:

Unless I go break into my friend's dealership tonight and take a picture for you I don't know how else to get one until they open on tues. I wish I could find a forum that you are new to and find a post from you and call it bogus even if you tried all the things I have, including phone numbers, to try and prove it's integrity. Then maybe you would understand how I feel. I have held the broken right half-shaft (The one I will post of pic of) in my hand. The right rear wheel well has grease splattered all in it. When I first looked I thought it was oil from the 3rd member. The mechanic showed me that it was just grease from the boot at each end of the broken half-shaft. He showed me what he had to do to put in the new shaft but the parts man walked up about that time (fri morn) and said the shaft would be there tues. when they reopened. You mentioned drag racing in your last post. When my son was 15 we took him out of high school and homeschooled him so that we could go on the road with NHRA and run super comp. We had two identical dragsters built by Tom Yancer in Chandler, AZ. He could only run the local strips until his 16th birthday. On his 15th birthday we turned off his throttle stop and let him make his first wide open pass (4.93 @137 in the eighth). We ran super comp and super gas and bracket raced until the spring of 2000 when he was preparing to leave for college which was my agreement with him when we started racing. I'm very proud to say he received his degree 12/17/05 from the U of Missouri and now has moved back home to take over the family business. We wound up running pro stock-style engines in our dragsters and super gas roadster. 7.0's @190 in the quarter. This picture is of me beside my dragster in 1996. By all this experience I think I would know if I did something out-of-the-ordinary to cause my broken half-shaft (which you can bet lots of money there will be a picture of on this forum by tues. night). Thanks and by the way, Jim, did you get the p.m. I sent you after I received yours?
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWorm
With the car or language in general?

New to English as well?

Ever hear of syntax, punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure?
My thoughts...I must have studied too much literature...as I don't have the $$ to pick up a Z, but this guy does.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by bdawson82
Jim:

Unless I go break into my friend's dealership tonight and take a picture for you I don't know how else to get one until they open on tues. I wish I could find a forum that you are new to and find a post from you and call it bogus even if you tried all the things I have, including phone numbers, to try and prove it's integrity. Then maybe you would understand how I feel. I have held the broken right half-shaft (The one I will post of pic of) in my hand. The right rear wheel well has grease splattered all in it. When I first looked I thought it was oil from the 3rd member. The mechanic showed me that it was just grease from the boot at each end of the broken half-shaft. He showed me what he had to do to put in the new shaft but the parts man walked up about that time (fri morn) and said the shaft would be there tues. when they reopened. You mentioned drag racing in your last post. When my son was 15 we took him out of high school and homeschooled him so that we could go on the road with NHRA and run super comp. We had two identical dragsters built by Tom Yancer in Chandler, AZ. He could only run the local strips until his 16th birthday. On his 15th birthday we turned off his throttle stop and let him make his first wide open pass (4.93 @137 in the eighth). We ran super comp and super gas and bracket raced until the spring of 2000 when he was preparing to leave for college which was my agreement with him when we started racing. I'm very proud to say he received his degree 12/17/05 from the U of Missouri and now has moved back home to take over the family business. We wound up running pro stock-style engines in our dragsters and super gas roadster. 7.0's @190 in the quarter. This picture is of me beside my dragster in 1996. By all this experience I think I would know if I did something out-of-the-ordinary to cause my broken half-shaft (which you can bet lots of money there will be a picture of on this forum by tues. night). Thanks and by the way, Jim, did you get the p.m. I sent you after I received yours?
No offense, but I think I explained why I originally thought this was bogus.

I offered to post the pictures for you, so when they arrive, I'll get them up.

Time to apologizeat. The apology already posted, next comes the crow.

I don't mind the crow, but the fact that you snapped a one piece half-shaft has everyone here concerned. I know this was a problem on the Z06s that sported big slicks, but we'll have to re-engineer this piece to have some fun. The M300 should work, but what's next?

By the way, welcome to the site. I've been here since the beginning. Keep us informed on the progress of your mishap. Could you explain the exact circumstances causing the breakage?

The stock tires break loose so easily, I cannot figure out what kind of shock load caused this to happen, especially with the cooler weather.

Last edited by Halltech; 01-02-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
bdawson82
Intermediate

Here are the pics from the right axle shaft breakage. Car is back home in my garage and there's a pic of that, too. 1st to 2nd was a clean shift and it broke exactly as it tried to pull away in 2nd gear. I'm pretty good at 1st to 2nd shifts, can't say that for 2nd to 3rd, it's a little tougher. I'll sleep better tonight.
Attached Images       
Old 01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are the pics from the right axle shaft breakage. Car is back home in my garage and there's a pic of that, too. 1st to 2nd was a clean shift and it broke exactly as it tried to pull away in 2nd gear. I'm pretty good at 1st to 2nd shifts, can't say that for 2nd to 3rd, it's a little tougher. I'll sleep better tonight.
Tbdawson82, Feel your pain. That box of parts and goo is uuuugggly.

Can you estimate your oil temp at the time of that failure?

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To zo6 clutch

Old 01-03-2006, 07:32 PM
bdawson82
Intermediate

Default oil temp

Oil temp would be a guess, left my house and drove about 2 miles and did a warm-up pass (no hard pulling), turned around, stopped, 2000 rpm, dumped clutch, instantly shifted to 2nd and had breakage. I would guess oil temp to be in a medium range.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Oil temp would be a guess, left my house and drove about 2 miles and did a warm-up pass (no hard pulling), turned around, stopped, 2000 rpm, dumped clutch, instantly shifted to 2nd and had breakage. I would guess oil temp to be in a medium range.
Reason I ask is that rear-end part breakage under stress is far more common if the parts are not up to operating temp. I'd define that as roughly oil temp over 175-180.

The guys driving stock or modded C5Z06s who avoid breaking during passes ensured their oil temp were at least above 155.

Not suggesting yours weren't up to temp. Just looking at possible reasons for the failure.

Ranger
Old 01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
bdawson82
Intermediate

Default temps

I understand where your coming from, when we used to unload our dragsters they would always pick up a hundredth or two on the 2nd pass because all the oils were warmer as well as every bearing from the crank thru the driveline.My car sets in a heated garage and last Wed when this happened we were having record warm temps. i would also believe a part should'nt be running so close to the edge that a little diff in oil temp would cause it to fail. I believe it was simply a bad spot in the axle,but Iwill admit I drive at times a little harder than the little lady on her way to church. GM did agood job of getting the part here as well as a clean fast job at the dealership.

Quick Reply: [Z06] zo6 clutch