Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Ls7 Rx7

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:50 PM
TetraU
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr turbo rotary
I guess???
There are turbos out now that make 450 rwhp on pump gas @ 15 psi which spool fast on the 13b.

You have a 2650 lbs car with 450 rwhp (530 flywheel)

2650 lbs/ 450 rwhp or 530 crank hp = 5.0 hp per pound. Now toss in some race fuel and crank up the boost. 600 plus rwhp.
Man, you make no sense. Turbo? We are talking about whether a LS1 engined RX7 is worth the trouble. NOw you want to argue with me that a race fueled cranked up turbo RX7 will be better than a Z06? Why do you always make the silliest claims that are not backed up by either facts or logics. You tend to argue for arguments' sake. What is exactly your point here?

BTW, I can get a Turbo kit for the Z06 too. Then what do you do? Strap a jet engine on your RX7?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:41 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jlabreck
Thanks for the weights info Jim.

Regarding the re-sleeve project, it will be interesting to see if the guy is successful. We'll have to wait and see how the LS-7 stands up to power adders before passing judgement on it.

I'm outta here before this thread goes critical
Old 02-16-2006, 04:38 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Maybe this has more to do with how you treated the car? My car has about 55,000 miles but looks and still smells brand spakin' new. My buddy is selling a 140,000 mile car and it's in fantastic shape.
How could I ruin the tachometer (and known oil sending unit issues)? I guess driving the car

People worry about Vette clutches, don't even look into how stock clutches on these last.

How could I ruin the windows? Actually rolling the windows up and down, how stupid of me to expect them to go up and down

How could I make the suspension clunk? Driving the car

Interior pieces? Yes shutting the passenger door makes the handle fall off so it must have been my stupid passengers that used the pull handle for what I assumed it was designed for

Yes it must have been how I treated the car.

Sorry but most of the things that went wrong with the car were "common" problems and have no relation to the owner. It was funny that when I owned the car and would look on the internet everyone would defend these cars to no end regardless of problems.

Since I didn't put many miles on the car had I not read the facts on the internet I would have blamed the previous owner but I did research them, just too late.

BTW the motor on mine was fine for me... but it was not the original.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:54 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Factory has clearly indicated LS7 CANNOT be re-sleeved, because there is not enough material to re-mill the bore. Also, if the liner splits, it will also split the AL surface behind it.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446435

This link clearly shows everything in your post above is incorrect. BTW, my credentials concerning internal combustion engines are well above average...however, I realize you don't know me. I will take the higher road (this time) and offer a beer if we ever happen to meet. Have a good day!

Last edited by glass slipper; 02-17-2006 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Edited for tact
Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Unbelievable. The mods had to delete your last post and give you a warning, yet you are back with more personal attacks (yes, the BS flag is an attack). Maybe it is time for you to take a vacation from the forum.

You are probably a decent guy when out from behind the keyboard, but you come off as a total jerkoff on this forum and you have a history of nasty run-ins with other members besides myself over pretty insignificant stuff, this being a perfect example of such. Who gives a damn if TTRotary, one of 50,000 or more members on this board, doesn't know WTH he is talking about? Why tilt windmills with him (or could it be her?)? What will it accomplish in the long run? I can assure you that the answer, in my case, is nothing. This forum is an amusement, not my job, and I am not all knowing. I will continue to post and I will continue to make mistakes. We’re out there…get used to us. And get off my case about the RX-7 thing. I already apologized for my mistake.

I see you posted last night 9pm CST, 10 pm in Florida. This is time you could have spent with your family, or tinkering with your Vettes in the garage with your daughter. Instead, you’re duking it out with some guy on the internet you will never meet in person over what: whether or not an engine in a car that you do not even own, can be re-sleeved or not. Is that what you want to be angry about if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?

Worse, you are trying to win an argument that cannot be won. I am correct in stating that GM’s official position is that LS blocks should not be re-sleeved in the event of failure. My service manager indicated this to me and any Chevy dealer will confirm this. This is of course logical, since GM would not want a dealership to have a block re-sleeved when that block might be cracked. Besides that, it is just cheaper for GM in the event of a warranty claim, to just ship a new block (probably the whole engine). Normally, a mechanical engineer employed by the government such as yourself would fully understand this position, but your judgement seems to be clouded by emotionality when it comes to anything having to do with the C6 Z06. Again, I am not sure you are so invested in this car, since you don’t even own one.

There is the entirely separate matter of whether the block can be re-sleeved. To support your point, you jump on a thread from another board, started by a mfr. of ductile sleeves, that is little more than an advertisement for their product, built around allegations that the LS7 is junk as delivered. I’ll admit it was a slick piece of work: even I fell for it initially, but the fact is they trash the LS7 so they can convince you to spend $2,600 on their bored LS2 427. The clue they are not being honest is their claim that the LS7 is simply a bored LS2. This is a blatant lie. The LS7 has a different casting number and has been officially described by GM as a separate casting. Your willingness to rely on this hype is odd, given your otherwise staunch support for the Z06 as God’s gift to autodom, because the thread starters are basically claiming that GM are blundering idiots for putting a hard iron sleeve in the block. The truth is that GM is a lot smarter than this vendor and used that sleeve for a reason. I am no engineer, but I suspect they used it because of superior surface hardness compared to ductile, which allows tighter sealing and more longevity. Incidentally, the sleeve cracking rather than rupturing, may have saved that particular block. Can this vendor re-sleeve the block? Sure thay can. Will it leak water/oil from a crack in the block when they fire it up? Who knows. But you would never catch me re-using that block or buying a car whose block had been re-sleeved by an aftermarket vendor – hell no! This sounds like something an imbecile would do after putting a 300 shot of NOS thru the motor - get it re-sleeved and unload the car.

But I digress. I have wasted enough time on this already. I have no intention of buying a Z06 and RX-7s are a distant memory. By contrast, my C6 and the SoCal canyons are waiting.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:55 PM
jlabreck
Heel & Toe

There is the entirely separate matter of whether the block can be re-sleeved.
To be fair, you did post "LS7 CANNOT be re-sleeved", as opposed to "GM’s official position is that LS blocks SHOULD NOT be re-sleeved".

Factory has clearly indicated LS7 CANNOT be re-sleeved
Old 02-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TetraU
Man, you make no sense. Turbo? We are talking about whether a LS1 engined RX7 is worth the trouble. NOw you want to argue with me that a race fueled cranked up turbo RX7 will be better than a Z06? Why do you always make the silliest claims that are not backed up by either facts or logics. You tend to argue for arguments' sake. What is exactly your point here?

BTW, I can get a Turbo kit for the Z06 too. Then what do you do? Strap a jet engine on your RX7?
Newbie,
Actually I make a lot of sense if you pay attention. A couple of us stated putting a Z06 427 in the car isn't economical. I was pointing out you could make good power with the 13b.
Also, where did I ever mention anything "about being better" than a Z06?
Lastly, what are the "silliest claims" not backed up by facts? Please tell me.

There are 1000 hp plus rotary engines BTW.

Last edited by Mr turbo rotary; 02-18-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:16 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

To be fair, you did post "LS7 CANNOT be re-sleeved", as opposed to "GM’s official position is that LS blocks SHOULD NOT be re-sleeved".
Oh, now you're going to be the wise guy How about "cannot", as in the dealer cannot, because he is forbidden to, by GM, effectively leaving the customer with no solution, ergo "cannot" because it is impossible. Will that do it? Of course, I'm sure Cinderella will see this little technicality as his opening. Thanks for pointing it out for him.

I just noticed he edited his post for tact and removed the . Cute.

Last edited by TTRotary; 02-17-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Unbelievable.
But I digress. I have wasted enough time on this already. I have no intention of buying a Z06 and RX-7s are a distant memory. By contrast, my C6 and the SoCal canyons are waiting.
Just a few points/facts:
1. You had a post to me in this thread deleted for being a personal attack too and have a history of being rude to other members. You have also had a thread attacking a moderator locked. I don't have the market cornered coming off as a "total jerkoff".
2. You do not have a C6 Z06 either (and have no intention to own one according to you) however, your lack of "investment" in it does not mean I think you can't come to this forum. However, I will have one once the frenzy dies down...I did the same thing with my ZR1, got it for $1000 under invoice.
3. You were "tilting windmills" with another forum member over how an LSx engine will fit in a RX7 in a C6 Z06 forum. I'd say that's pretty "insignificant" here.
4. This is not an argument...you provided info, I provided a link showing that info incorrect.
5. You are a banker, not an engineer...as you pointed out.
6. You obviously spent a lot of time reading my previous posts in my profile as well as the link I provided and composing/writing a lengthy response to it. However, it's your time...spend it how you like.

A lot of what you said in your post could be directed right back at you. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

BTW, my posting of that link to another thread does not mean I agree 100% with everything in it, it was just meant to show LSx engines can be resleeved. There is some good info there if you know who to listen to and what context it's in. Kind of like this forum...
Old 02-17-2006, 11:39 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Oh, now you're going to be the wise guy How about "cannot", as in the dealer cannot, because he is forbidden to, by GM, effectively leaving the customer with no solution, ergo "cannot" because it is impossible. Will that do it? Of course, I'm sure Cinderella will see this little technicality as his opening. Thanks for pointing it out for him.

I just noticed he edited his post for tact and removed the . Cute.
The customer has the solution of getting it sleeved in the aftermarket as indicated in my previous link so it's not impossible. And the dealer could even do the work as long as the customer was paying and not using GM warranty $. Dealers are independent from GM and whatever the customer pays the dealership for whatever work is between the dealership and the customer. Your statement as written was wrong, your intent was the block cannot be sleeved. I didn't need it pointed out either, it's just obvious you can't handle being wrong and I was ignoring it until you made this post.

Yes, I did edit my post and removed more than the BS sign in an attempt to become more civil on this forum and in particular with you as you did make some good points, I would recommend you attempt the same. Like for example your Cinderella comment...there was really nothing added to the discussion by doing that. Before, I would've made a comment about how you have now proven you know more about fairy tales than engines. But, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf here and won't say that. I will tell you that Glass Slipper is the name of my 34' Scarab and that my daughter named it as a youngster. I told her it was made of fiberglass like my 'Vette but it slips through the water instead of rolling on roads. She made the fiberGlass Slipper connection and I thought it was clever of her (she was 4 at the time). I wanted something for a screen name that wouldn't lock me in to one particular generation 'Vette (like my ZR1) because I like all 'Vettes and I can remember the name of my boat.

Hope you enjoyed your canyon run, sounds like a lot of fun. We have nothing but flat land where I live in FL, I do miss the mountains where I grew up.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rgregory
How could I ruin the tachometer (and known oil sending unit issues)? I guess driving the car

People worry about Vette clutches, don't even look into how stock clutches on these last.

How could I ruin the windows? Actually rolling the windows up and down, how stupid of me to expect them to go up and down

How could I make the suspension clunk? Driving the car

Interior pieces? Yes shutting the passenger door makes the handle fall off so it must have been my stupid passengers that used the pull handle for what I assumed it was designed for

Yes it must have been how I treated the car.

Sorry but most of the things that went wrong with the car were "common" problems and have no relation to the owner. It was funny that when I owned the car and would look on the internet everyone would defend these cars to no end regardless of problems.

Since I didn't put many miles on the car had I not read the facts on the internet I would have blamed the previous owner but I did research them, just too late.

BTW the motor on mine was fine for me... but it was not the original.
Funny, I know of six of them around here and not a one has had those problems? TT Rotary (Mark) didn't have them either. I guess you just got the one and only with those problems.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:00 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Hope you enjoyed your canyon run, sounds like a lot of fun. We have nothing but flat land where I live in FL, I do miss the mountains where I grew up.
Well that probably explains why you are grumpy . As it turns out, I got rained out today, the first of the season.

Regarding my deleted post in this thread, I did the deleting, not the mods. The first version was, similarly to your post, not fit to print. I will redouble my efforts to be better behaved.

The truth is, we operate in similar fashion, you and I. Yes, I checked you out, and the content of your deleted post makes it obvious you did exactly the same. Luckily, I type and read fast, so I can support this stupid habit. Guess we both like to know who we're tilting windmills with, and we both get riled up. And we both obviously like to have the last word. Heck, we both even own Scarabs (mine is an '86 Panther ) . Cool name for your boat by the way.

Your approach on the Z is wise - my rule is never to buy unless it's sticker or below. I think the new car will get there in a year or so. The Z will never work for me as long as I can't remove the roof, but it surely is one heck of an engineering feat.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:29 AM
GM Wrench
Intermediate

Well, guess this is my first message here on this board [been looking for a long time tho]. Kinda wasn't expecting my intro mesg to be on a topic like this but gotta start somewhere. Anyways, I am a Chevy Sr. Service Advisor and figured I could clarify issues regarding the LS7 and re sleeves. Bottom line, Mr. TT is right. We at dealers are prohibited from attempting to repair a damaged engine block in any way. We may be "independent" from GM financially, but we darned sure do excatly waht they tell us to when it comes to performing repairs on there vehicles and especially those under warranty. We do not even have the equipment to do sonic testing on blocks to determine integrity if they crack a sleeve. Now, that type of failure is very rare and I have never seen it in my years here.

I too read that stuff over on LS1 - what a bunch of crap. Steams me how some of these guys that make money off GM see fit to take a dump on the company for there self advancement. I also moonlight for for NHRA teams (got to work with John Force last weekend here at pomona) and have seen some really funky repairs on engines at the track. But let me tell you, I would NEVER allow anyone in my shop to do the resleeve like what that guy on LS1 is claiming they do at his shop. I dont even see how he can ethically charge that customer for that work and it makes me sick to think that motor is going back into a car that some poor slob is going to buy and get stuck with a junk moter because thats exactly what that thing will be, junk!

The thing about stuff busting under power adders is that FI always finds the weak spot on th engine. For the LS7 thats the area between the cylinders because it is so damn thin. i cant believe the sleeve busted but the base metal did not. The genuses on LS1 dont realize that the hard sleeves are there to resist block flex in that area. A ductle sleeve might work but I wouldnt bet my shop and my rep on it. Anyways there it is my first post -- Hope it helped someone.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:40 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Very nice first post and welcome to CF GM.

Have you seen any issues with the LS7s? Also, tell us about some of those funky trackside repairs
Old 02-18-2006, 01:48 AM
GM Wrench
Intermediate

Thanks Mr TT. No issues on this end but its eraly and we only have deliverd 7 of these. I have read what you are refering to about the engines going but I have to think that is super rare. Remeber GM tested the everlivin you know what out of these motors. Also, no info is coming out about the type of failures. Could be a bad batch of springs like the LS6s had. What I can tell you is we have express instructions from the div rep on the LS7 incase of prblems: the motor comes out and it goes straight to the factory without us touching them. I dont know what they are doing to protect the customer about SNs matching and all that and I hope I dont have to ever get involved with that type of problem.

Can't share details on our track tricks.These are closely guarded secrets as you can imagine (wink wink).
Old 02-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GM Wrench
I am a Chevy Sr. Service Advisor and figured I could clarify issues regarding the LS7 and re sleeves. Bottom line, Mr. TT is right. We at dealers are prohibited from attempting to repair a damaged engine block in any way. I too read that stuff over on LS1 - what a bunch of crap.
One for Mark...
Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 AM
TetraU
Drifting

Newbie,
Actually I make a lot of sense if you pay attention. A couple of us stated putting a Z06 427 in the car isn't economical. I was pointing out you could make good power with the 13b.
Also, where did I ever mention anything "about being better" than a Z06?
Lastly, what are the "silliest claims" not backed up by facts? Please tell me.

There are 1000 hp plus rotary engines BTW.
Got you confused with TTrotary.

Get notified of new replies

To Ls7 Rx7

Old 02-18-2006, 02:26 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Originally Posted by TetraU
Got you confused with TTrotary.
What the heck is that supposed to mean? If this is a request for an argument, please take a number and tell me what point you want to discuss. If it is someone else's post you want to argue with me, please give me a couple of minutes to prep. Geez, It's like Night of the Living Dead in here.

GM Wrench - Thanks for the info. Being a racer myself (a roadie), I can appreciate the importance of every little advantage and trick.

Chris, If I expire, please represent me. I know you're up to it
Old 02-18-2006, 04:39 PM
jlabreck
Heel & Toe

Funny, I know of six of them around here and not a one has had those problems? TT Rotary (Mark) didn't have them either. I guess you just got the one and only with those problems.
Funny, in the nearly 9 years that I've been a 3rd gen. owner and member of the RX-7 community, it's become pretty obvious that the majority of the problems listed are quite common, especially with '93s.

Just because you have several local cars without those problems doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:27 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Funny, in the nearly 9 years that I've been a 3rd gen. owner and member of the RX-7 community, it's become pretty obvious that the majority of the problems listed are quite common, especially with '93s.

Just because you have several local cars without those problems doesn't mean they don't exist.
Thank you. Everytime I am curious of them an look on Ebay there is atleast one for sale that doesn't even run and thanks to the Fast and Furious craze are still selling for more than I paid/sold my '93 for running.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ls7 Rx7