Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Ls7 Rx7

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Wrench
Well, guess this is my first message here on this board [been looking for a long time tho]. Kinda wasn't expecting my intro mesg to be on a topic like this but gotta start somewhere. Anyways, I am a Chevy Sr. Service Advisor and figured I could clarify issues regarding the LS7 and re sleeves. Bottom line, Mr. TT is right. We at dealers are prohibited from attempting to repair a damaged engine block in any way. We may be "independent" from GM financially, but we darned sure do excatly waht they tell us to when it comes to performing repairs on there vehicles and especially those under warranty. We do not even have the equipment to do sonic testing on blocks to determine integrity if they crack a sleeve. Now, that type of failure is very rare and I have never seen it in my years here.

I too read that stuff over on LS1 - what a bunch of crap. Steams me how some of these guys that make money off GM see fit to take a dump on the company for there self advancement. I also moonlight for for NHRA teams (got to work with John Force last weekend here at pomona) and have seen some really funky repairs on engines at the track. But let me tell you, I would NEVER allow anyone in my shop to do the resleeve like what that guy on LS1 is claiming they do at his shop. I dont even see how he can ethically charge that customer for that work and it makes me sick to think that motor is going back into a car that some poor slob is going to buy and get stuck with a junk moter because thats exactly what that thing will be, junk!

The thing about stuff busting under power adders is that FI always finds the weak spot on th engine. For the LS7 thats the area between the cylinders because it is so damn thin. i cant believe the sleeve busted but the base metal did not. The genuses on LS1 dont realize that the hard sleeves are there to resist block flex in that area. A ductle sleeve might work but I wouldnt bet my shop and my rep on it. Anyways there it is my first post -- Hope it helped someone.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
GM Wrench
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pleasure - just wanted to make the 1st post useful.

Mr. Glass Slipper - wanted to clerifiy I dont know Mr. TT. I just saw the opportuny to contribute some factual info to your debate. I still get mad thinking about that other engine buts not my problem so I should just forget it...

hey these lil smileys are cool!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ls7 Rx7