Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZO6 vs SRT COUPE....real life test

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:40 PM
02FEGTS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 vs SRT COUPE....real life test

For those of you who have been reading this forum, my previous post of "Prices for Coupes", I just took delivery on my First Edition Coupe last week. I drove 650 mile to Pahrump NV to open track my car yesterday (Saturday) with my friend and his new "06 ZO6. We drove out together and went to Spring Mountain for a Las Vegas Chapter Porsche Club/SCCA open track weekend. I just got back in an hour ago after a 12 hour drive. Let me begin with this- you can drive this coupe everyday. We drove over 1550 miles in two days- through the storm hitting the west coast right now, light snow flurries Friday afternoon, and stop and go traffic in the middle of the desert for 2 hours, as well as over two hours of track time. The cars ran flawless- both of them. We traded off cars and have respect for each others cars. We also found out the following:

1) These cars are dead even in acceleration up to 165 mph- where we stopped running. From 40 mph rolls to 145, and 80 mph rolls up to 165 out in the desert. They were dead even from a standing start to 90 mph. We are very even drivers- both holding licenses from SCCA, etc. We have raced spec Panoz's and are always dead even. So the driver stuff is not there.

2) Around Spring Mountain Raceway, the Viper was FASTER. I could out brake and corner the ZO6, and straight line we were once again dead even. Both cars are stock- mine literely came off the showroom floor and driven 600 mile to my home in Las Vegas. If he started a session ahead of me, even 3 cars ahead, I could catch and pass him within two laps- we were running the new long course. When I started ahead, I would pull away from him putting 3 or 4 cars between us. This happened every session out.

3) ZO6 handles terrible in the rain- the Goodyears hydroplane in heavy rains, and the Viper did not. Very stable on I-5 in heavy rains at 75-85 mph. My friend had to slow down to under 50 in the same conditions because the car would dart all over the lane at higher speeds. So much for it being the better daily driver.

4) Gawk factor- very few people noticed his car- its black and does not stand out. We had literally dozens of people snapping photos of the Coupe. I have a Lamborghini Murcielago, and that is typical. But I did not expect that in a Viper. In fact, a group of young ladies ignored my friends Corvette, and proceded to pull up next to us as we crossed into CA on the freeway,and showed us their wares- if you know what I mean.

This car is far superior to my 2001 ACR. This car is much more refined. My ACR was a toy. Not practical. A loud droning from the exhaust at 65 mph. Terrible AC system. Horrible ride- even worse brakes. This new car is faster, more stable, has fantastic brakes- same ones I have on my Comp Coupe, and can be driven everyday. Plus, it has a new car warranty. I just drove it for 12 hours and it feels like I got out of my Mercedes! It's that good.

My point? Don't believe everything your reading out there. The ZO6 is not superior. Cheaper, yes. But my friend paid $10k over window sticker, I got mine for $8k under. When you add it up, I paid $3k more- which was the gas tax on it. Dodge has made a big mistake not marketing this car right. I am not sure what ZO6 the car magazines have been testing, but its not the one the consumer is buying. The word "ringer" comes to mind. So don't be afraid of one if it comes up. It will come down to the driver. And on the track, out of the box, it is a faster car. I will post some pictures of us on the track and driving through the desert as soon as I can figure out how. Its been a long day and my bed is calling.

This was taken from the VCA site, thought it was a interesting read, discuss.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The main point I draw from your report is that you are happy with your decision to get the Viper Coupe. There are a lot of fast cars out there. Glad you're happy with yours.

Congratulations.

Ranger
Old 03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I think this is a case of someone seeing what they wanted to see, and not what really happened. I call BS
Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Mike Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 03-09-2006, 01:09 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like some teenager who has a father that screamed MOPAR for 40 years in his underwear every Sunday. He fell asleep and dreamed of him driving a Viper, girls liking him enough to show their twins to him, and oh flying by a Z06.....*shake shake* "Wake up johnny! Your dad needs a push getting the civic started"

Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 PM
ocnatv
Instructor

Glad to hear your happy with your Viper.... Your review is the exact opposite of everything Ive read about the Viper including track times.. Also, I have a C6Z and couldnt disagree more about drivability. However, I have not been out in any rain storms (dont plan on it either). Im sure your boys on the Viper boards will be stoked to hear this review...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:17 PM
robbin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ranger
The main point I draw from your report is that you are happy with your decision to get the Viper Coupe. There are a lot of fast cars out there. Glad you're happy with yours.

Congratulations.

Ranger

True talent, like yours, is always generous. Nice post.
TetraU
Drifting

02FEGTS

Your story has been posted here a couple of days ago. Here is the response by one of the members in your area. I will give you a chance to explain.

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
OK, I'm taking this thread back to the original topic for a second....

I just got off the phone with a good friend who happened to be at Spring Mtn. last weekend with the Porsche Club where this "alleged" race occured between the guy with the Viper and his buddy in the new Z06. He remembers both of them running in the advanced group, however, he did comment that neither of them were good enough to be in the advanced group because he caught AND passed both of them at least once during the event. What does my buddy drive, you ask? Well, he drives a 130hp Spec Miata!

His lap times driving in the Miata run about 2:50+/- range on the long course, which according to my lap charts at the last Corvette Days in Feb. would have only been good enough for about mid-pack in the intermediate group. So, since he was able to catch and pass both drivers with "Intermediate group" lap times, that tells me that this was FAR from being a fair comparison between the two cars. In other words the guy from the Viper forum is full of and I hope he has the ***** to show up at the Viper Days event next weekend and prove me wrong! (Just FYI, my STOCK '02Z06 runs 2:37's on street tires on the long course)

Because Viper days is now allowing Corvettes to run too, there will most likely be a number of Vettes that he can give point-bys to! I'm throwing down a challenge to the Viper guy to back up his claims!
Let's get this right, you got passed twice by the Miata? Do you care to race one of the members on this board? Actually that won't be fair for you. You need a lot more seat time. If a Miata can beat you, then I would suspect your real life test is pretty useless. Thanks for sharing the story though.
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 305 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...9&forum_id=100
Old 03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
02FEGTS
Advanced

Originally Posted by TetraU
02FEGTS

Your story has been posted here a couple of days ago. Here is the response by one of the members in your area. I will give you a chance to explain.

Let's get this right, you got passed twice by the Miata? Do you care to race one of the members on this board? Actually that won't be fair for you. You need a lot more seat time. If a Miata can beat you, then I would suspect your real life test is pretty useless. Thanks for sharing the story though.

I'll post up your quote and see if I can get an answer...the plot thickens .
Old 03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I already commented on this non-sense in the first thread
Old 03-09-2006, 01:41 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EuG

I thought we did this already I love my 04 Viper but it's no Z06 :rofl
Old 03-09-2006, 01:51 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

There was a cool kill vid on corvettekillstories showing a modded brand new viper getting killed by a Z06 at highway speeds - viper had a cat-back - the Z06 just walked away - it was bone stock!

That should get this thread locked up nicely!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Craig Lowell
Advanced

02FEGTS

Once again... lotta talk, no walk from you.

Did you actually volunteer some other member of this board to drive your call out?

Pure girl squeeze.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats quite a story 02FEGTS, but I find it hard to believe. The March 2005 issue of Road and Track had an article called "Best All-Around Sports Car." Tested among other cars were the Corvette C6, Z51 Coupe, 2005 Viper SRT-10 and 2005 Porsche Carrera S Coupe. Part of the test were laps at Buttonwillow Raceway Park using configuration #24. It was described as having a good mix of tight corners, esses and a half mile long straight. Best times around the course were Corvette Z51 - 66.32 seconds, Viper 66.60 seconds, Porsche Carrera S - 66.71 seconds. On the half mile long straight the C6 Corvette had a section time of 13.70 seconds and the Viper had a time of 13.75 seconds. At the Nurburgring in Germany the regular C6 Z51 Corvette has a lap time of 7 min. 59 sec. the C6 Z06 7 min. 42.9 sec. and the Dodge Viper SRT-10 has a lap time of 8 min. 13. sec. If the SRT-10 can't beat the standard C6 at these venues how in the world can it beat the Z06? There seems to be something missing in your story.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:17 PM
TetraU
Drifting

Originally Posted by Craig Lowell
Once again... lotta talk, no walk from you.

Did you actually volunteer some other member of this board to drive your call out?
Just relaying a message. I am in Shanghai. Can't quite make it over there.

Originally Posted by Craig Lowell
Pure girl squeeze.
Stop jacking off, Graig. It is not becoming!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EuG

SnakeEye had this message for the C.F. members:

"Seems the girls over on the 'other' forum just don't want to accept the reality of what typically occurs when these two face off on the street".

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 vs SRT COUPE....real life test

Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

on your feelings towards both. one gripe...

[quote]3) ZO6 handles terrible in the rain- the Goodyears hydroplane in heavy rains, and the Viper did not. Very stable on I-5 in heavy rains at 75-85 mph. My friend had to slow down to under 50 in the same conditions because the car would dart all over the lane at higher speeds. So much for it being the better daily driver.[quote]

just because it was a little squirrely in the rain.. doesnt mean its not a better daily driver. how about interior dimensions? cargo space. ride quality, feautures, visibility. etc etc etc. i just have to say im quite a slim guy at 5'9 140lbs and even though id take a viper because of the looks alone.. that is NOT a friendly daily driver imo, or a better one at that.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Craig Lowell
Advanced

Just relaying a message. I am in Shanghai. Can't quite make it over there.

Stop jacking off, Graig. It is not becoming!
Shanghai... then shut the F up until you can walk your talk.

This is surprising in view of your posts... you don't own this car, you haven't driven this car, you can't buy this car, you're in China.

F-ing A! You are full of ****.

BTW, masturbation is a strange thing for an adult to focus on. Are you in a Shanghai prison?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 02FEGTS
For those of you who have been reading this forum, my previous post of "Prices for Coupes", I just took delivery on my First Edition Coupe last week. I drove 650 mile to Pahrump NV to open track my car yesterday (Saturday) with my friend and his new "06 ZO6. We drove out together and went to Spring Mountain for a Las Vegas Chapter Porsche Club/SCCA open track weekend. I just got back in an hour ago after a 12 hour drive. Let me begin with this- you can drive this coupe everyday. We drove over 1550 miles in two days- through the storm hitting the west coast right now, light snow flurries Friday afternoon, and stop and go traffic in the middle of the desert for 2 hours, as well as over two hours of track time. The cars ran flawless- both of them. We traded off cars and have respect for each others cars. We also found out the following:

1) These cars are dead even in acceleration up to 165 mph- where we stopped running. From 40 mph rolls to 145, and 80 mph rolls up to 165 out in the desert. They were dead even from a standing start to 90 mph. We are very even drivers- both holding licenses from SCCA, etc. We have raced spec Panoz's and are always dead even. So the driver stuff is not there.

2) Around Spring Mountain Raceway, the Viper was FASTER. I could out brake and corner the ZO6, and straight line we were once again dead even. Both cars are stock- mine literely came off the showroom floor and driven 600 mile to my home in Las Vegas. If he started a session ahead of me, even 3 cars ahead, I could catch and pass him within two laps- we were running the new long course. When I started ahead, I would pull away from him putting 3 or 4 cars between us. This happened every session out.

3) ZO6 handles terrible in the rain- the Goodyears hydroplane in heavy rains, and the Viper did not. Very stable on I-5 in heavy rains at 75-85 mph. My friend had to slow down to under 50 in the same conditions because the car would dart all over the lane at higher speeds. So much for it being the better daily driver.

4) Gawk factor- very few people noticed his car- its black and does not stand out. We had literally dozens of people snapping photos of the Coupe. I have a Lamborghini Murcielago, and that is typical. But I did not expect that in a Viper. In fact, a group of young ladies ignored my friends Corvette, and proceded to pull up next to us as we crossed into CA on the freeway,and showed us their wares- if you know what I mean.

This car is far superior to my 2001 ACR. This car is much more refined. My ACR was a toy. Not practical. A loud droning from the exhaust at 65 mph. Terrible AC system. Horrible ride- even worse brakes. This new car is faster, more stable, has fantastic brakes- same ones I have on my Comp Coupe, and can be driven everyday. Plus, it has a new car warranty. I just drove it for 12 hours and it feels like I got out of my Mercedes! It's that good.

My point? Don't believe everything your reading out there. The ZO6 is not superior. Cheaper, yes. But my friend paid $10k over window sticker, I got mine for $8k under. When you add it up, I paid $3k more- which was the gas tax on it. Dodge has made a big mistake not marketing this car right. I am not sure what ZO6 the car magazines have been testing, but its not the one the consumer is buying. The word "ringer" comes to mind. So don't be afraid of one if it comes up. It will come down to the driver. And on the track, out of the box, it is a faster car. I will post some pictures of us on the track and driving through the desert as soon as I can figure out how. Its been a long day and my bed is calling.

This was taken from the VCA site, thought it was a interesting read, discuss.

BRING IT,

I will pay your expenses if you can beat a C6 Z06
on the street or track with a stock FE Viper GTS,
At TWS last month, the closest GTS to the C6Z was
a full 6 seconds back and this was at a Viper Event!
The Z had better times than the majority of the Comp Coupes that were there.

JP

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZO6 vs SRT COUPE....real life test