Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Direct Injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Direct Injection

So I was reading in the FAQ as I often do and sow a post about 3 valve direct injection making 600 HP in the 7.0L engine and not being a complete beast on fuel. Is it possible to convert an LS7 to DI?

for the matter how many different type of injection are there?

Lenghty responses welcome.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Bob Schaefer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Types of Fuel Injection

Direct vs Indirect (or port) Injection are defined by whether the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber or somewhere else such as the intake port (or a precombustion chamber in the case of a diesel.)

Conversion sounds major to me; the combustion process will be affected and "conversion" would require a signifcant amount of development work to get right, as well as likely mean changing some major components (like cylinder heads, pistons/compression ratio and fuel system, etc.)

Best Regards,
Bob S.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:24 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The problem is making an injector that can withstand what happens in the combustion chamber. I wonder how hard, and how much it will cost to soup up a DI engine.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Bob Schaefer
Direct vs Indirect (or port) Injection are defined by whether the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber or somewhere else such as the intake port (or a precombustion chamber in the case of a diesel.)

Conversion sounds major to me; the combustion process will be affected and "conversion" would require a signifcant amount of development work to get right, as well as likely mean changing some major components (like cylinder heads, pistons/compression ratio and fuel system, etc.)

Best Regards,
Bob S.
Does DI make more power then non direct?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe0121
Does DI make more power then non direct?
They say it's more efficient.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
They say it's more efficient.
Ok here a question whats the difference between the C6r engine and the LS7 also what the CID mean in 427 CID?

I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying but I get in these phases when I just want to know as much as possible about something.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:27 AM
fgordon
Racer

Cubic Inch Displacement
Old 04-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by fgordon
Cubic Inch Displacement
lol dur is the the entire engine or just the block in heads...
Old 04-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

lol dur( I feel so dumb that that didnt click) is the the entire engine or just the block in heads...
Old 04-13-2006, 12:59 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Audi does have some direct injection engines in their line up, supposed to be more efficient and more HP
Old 04-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

fyi,

the new turbo GM ecotech 4 banger in the skyline and solstice will be GMs first direct injection engine.

260 HP, not bad. as for conversion, not really worth the hassle/expese. the direct injection is much more fuel efficient but the LS7 can be easily tuned for more HP without it. it's a nice technology but not really applicable to the existing LS7.

putting the fuel right where it belongs leads to much higher efficiency but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. not sure GM has any plans to put this in the LS7, stay tuned and see how well the ecotech does. my bet is that it will work out fine but not lend itself to "hot rodding" as replacing the injectors is likely to be more of a hassle as is calibration on the computers which is getting more complicated all the time.

the skyline has some appeal with the turbo engine, but to me the direct injection is kinda of a bummer because swapping in larger injectors, turning up the boost, and reprogramming is likely to be a huge PITA compared to "old school" injectors.

I think I've swapped injectors on my turbo buick about 8 times now and it takes about 30 min to do with the chip change.

the old buzzin half duzzin puts 410 to the wheels, 400 torq on only 16 psi of boost on pump gas which is about stock. ez to run the good gas and turn up the boost to 25 and gain another 150 which is pretty cool.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
fyi,

the new turbo GM ecotech 4 banger in the skyline and solstice will be GMs first direct injection engine.

260 HP, not bad. as for conversion, not really worth the hassle/expese. the direct injection is much more fuel efficient but the LS7 can be easily tuned for more HP without it. it's a nice technology but not really applicable to the existing LS7.

putting the fuel right where it belongs leads to much higher efficiency but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. not sure GM has any plans to put this in the LS7, stay tuned and see how well the ecotech does. my bet is that it will work out fine but not lend itself to "hot rodding" as replacing the injectors is likely to be more of a hassle as is calibration on the computers which is getting more complicated all the time.

the skyline has some appeal with the turbo engine, but to me the direct injection is kinda of a bummer because swapping in larger injectors, turning up the boost, and reprogramming is likely to be a huge PITA compared to "old school" injectors.

I think I've swapped injectors on my turbo buick about 8 times now and it takes about 30 min to do with the chip change.

the old buzzin half duzzin puts 410 to the wheels, 400 torq on only 16 psi of boost on pump gas which is about stock. ez to run the good gas and turn up the boost to 25 and gain another 150 which is pretty cool.

"old buzzin half duzzin "

I think I just found a name for my 3.0L Mitsubishi/Dodge Stratus.

So what I gather is it's kinda cool but not spend money and time on cool?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

DI is more efficient and will produce more power. The benefits are...

-Ability to run higher compression ratio/timing without knock
-Cylinder cooling effect
-Better fuel atomization

DI and FI are even better together.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Verrückt

-Cylinder cooling effect
-Better fuel atomization

Makes sense. So with DI you can spray the fuel at the last possible moment before the ignition spark thus allowing a higher CR?

Last edited by Joe0121; 04-13-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Verrückt

-Cylinder cooling effect
-Better fuel atomization

-Cylinder cooling effect--this is a PISTON cooling effect, the cylinder jackets run at the same temperatures as a regular port injected engine (within a couple of degrees). The tops of the pistons donate a large amount of heat to vaporixe the fuel in proximity of the spark plug. Thusly, the pistons run a lot cooler, and can tollerate higher compression, make more power...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
-Cylinder cooling effect--this is a PISTON cooling effect, the cylinder jackets run at the same temperatures as a regular port injected engine (within a couple of degrees). The tops of the pistons donate a large amount of heat to vaporixe the fuel in proximity of the spark plug. Thusly, the pistons run a lot cooler, and can tollerate higher compression, make more power...
Is that higher CR on the same gas?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Last I checked much of the heat absorbed by the pistons exits through the piston rings and into the cylinder liners.

My statement was general, but as a whole...cooler pistons will net you cooler everything.

Yep. DI engines like the Audi RS4 have no problems running 12.5:1 compression ratio even on pump gas.

Get notified of new replies

To Direct Injection

Old 04-13-2006, 07:02 PM
32valves
Pro

yes....Imagine an LS7 with a 12:1 (or maybe even higher) CR stock straight from GM. I have heard a point in compression is worth 5% more HP.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 32valves
yes....Imagine an LS7 with a 12:1 (or maybe even higher) CR stock straight from GM. I have heard a point in compression is worth 5% more HP.
A point as in the difference between say 9:1 and 10:1 or 9:1 and 9.1:1?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

A point as in the difference between say 9:1 and 10:1 or 9:1 and 9.1:1?
The former (9:1 to 10:1).

Quick Reply: [Z06] Direct Injection