Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Competition Mode or Traction Control Off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Competition Mode or Traction Control Off?

I got a call from a customer this week, who could not tell much of a difference after adding our F1 Filter. His car was not tuned, but I know there is 12 to 15 RWHP gain over stock, which lead me to a simple question to him.

"Did you turn off Traction Control, or go into Competition Mode?"

"What's that?" was his answer.

I automatically put our Z06 into Competition Mode the minute I start up the car. Why?

1) If your traction begins to go beyond the tires traction, the PCM immediately (in milliseconds) takes out timing and closes the throttle to keep the tires from spinning. There is a DIC message, but many folks are not looking at the DIC, but rather concentrating on their full throttle episode. They just assume that's all there is.

Here is the Torque Management Screen in LS2Edit showing the measures taken by GM to keep traction:

2) Competition mode allows full power to the ground, but keeps Active Handling in tact to keep the car from going sideways.

3) Competition Mode opens the exhaust bypass valve at 3,000 rpm, rather than 3,500 rpm, which increases bottom end torque a full 500 rpm sooner.

In Comp Mode, our Z06 will break the Viper 345s loose at 1/2 throttle in 1st gear, on concrete or good asphalt, at 30 mph.

I am not advocating driving around burning up the roads, but folks that have installed our Stage 1 Package MUST try (only at the track) driving in Comp Mode at least once to actually feel the effects of 490 RWHP.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 07-21-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info.

Have you collected any data on a stock ECM that shows any TM differences between
(1) TC-Off
(2) Comp Driving Mode
(3) TC-OFF/AH-Off (eg. all off)

Some C6 owners say TM is less invasive in (2) and does not intervene at all in (3).

I've been making passes in the C6Z in (1) and TM is definitely exacting a toll. Would I see any difference in (2) or (3).

Can you shed any light?

TIA,

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 07-21-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can tell... That's all I know...!

I can tell Jim.. I could tell before I even drove the car..
Starting it and it sounded different.

I have been driving with my TC on normal and can tell. It does try to stop me when it breaks loose, but I have noticed from 30-40mph punch it.. Then breaks loose alittle but not enough to trigger the DIC..
It will for sure slam your head back and I can tell the most from the 2000-3500 rpm range. The best way I can describe it is a small lag at low rpm's. Not enough to notice unless you swaped the filters.. I have both the LS900 and the F-1 filters, NO TUNE , filters ONLY..

I haven't been able to bring myself to put the LS900 in to even see what it is like.
The F-1 is a FU(KING Blast IMHO..
My car got more fun if that was possible..

I will be tring it with Comp Mode and TC Off Mode.. I didn't even think of that. I actually forgot to switch mine off. It is about to get more fun.. I can't wait...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ranger
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info.

Have you collected any data on a stock ECM that shows any TM differences between
(1) TC-Off
(2) Comp Driving Mode
(3) TC-OFF/AH-Off (eg. all off)

Some C6 owners say TM is less invasive in (2) and does not intervene at all in (3).

I've been making passes in the C6Z in (1) and TM is definitely exacting a toll. Would I see any difference in (2) or (3).

Can you shed any light?

TIA,

Ranger

Actually, Ken Kelly has been looking at this area, and has found that many of the onboard computers "talk" to each other when intervention takes place, making it virtually impossible to provide countermeasures in certain areas.

An example is the bypass rpm for opening the control valve. Some have asked for him to see if the rpm could be changed within LS2Edit to allow turning the exhaust bypass on at a lower rpm. He has given up on this due to the fact that 3 or 4 of the onboard computers are involved in this action. He is only able to work with the ECM and TCM at this time, and the TCM applies to automatics only.

Interestingly, I have shut off both Wheel Hop and Traction Control, and still have Traction Control parameters kick in. This must have to do with the BCM parameters, and Active Handling measures.

I certainly do not recommend turning off Traction Control on an everyday basis, for obvious reasons, but when drag racing, there seems to be some benefit in turning off all these parameters.

Wayne T. asked for all parameters to be off, he did pick up .1 I believe. Maybe he could jump in here and give us some feedback.

He has no fear now, since breaking his CV Joint, he has the old C5 CV onboard, and 300M axles.

Jim
Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, Jim. Appreciate the info.

Ranger
Old 07-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

AH & traction control can only work to slow you down! Once I have oil temps in the 140-150 range I hold the button in to turn everything off. I can feel interference with any of this on. I have read o this forum about guys taking their car to the track and wearing brakes out in no time with AH on. Guess why? Ranger, the last thing I have any knowledge about is computers. However, after 35 years of experience I can feel the car.

I can also tell you that if you do a drastic burnout at about 5,000-5,500 RPMs something shuts the engine down. I think it is the torque management. I entered a burnout contest and was very disappointed.

Jim Hall, does your computer upgrade disable or reduce torque management? I really hate all this computer interference.

Jim, I have not ordered anything from you because I am deciding if I want to keep this 06 or get an 07. I will order once I decide.

Ranger, are you going to Wixom Monday?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Painrace
AH & traction control can only work to slow you down! Once I have oil temps in the 140-150 range I hold the button in to turn everything off. I can feel interference with any of this on. I have read o this forum about guys taking their car to the track and wearing brakes out in no time with AH on. Guess why? Ranger, the last thing I have any knowledge about is computers. However, after 35 years of experience I can feel the car.

I can also tell you that if you do a drastic burnout at about 5,000-5,500 RPMs something shuts the engine down. I think it is the torque management. I entered a burnout contest and was very disappointed.

Jim Hall, does your computer upgrade disable or reduce torque management? I really hate all this computer interference.

Jim, I have not ordered anything from you because I am deciding if I want to keep this 06 or get an 07. I will order once I decide.

Ranger, are you going to Wixom Monday?

I can turn everything off through countermeasures, yes.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:09 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Hang on, are you saying that even with "all driving aids off" there is an unswitchable "torque management" nanny deciding how much torque is allowed?

That sucks! If I wanted a car with an uncancellable TC system, I'd buy a Merc!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:29 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought that would have been a no brainer. I wondered why my exhaust valve always opened at 3K. Now I know. Cool.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 PM
NWbluez06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,
I have both the computer up-date, and the F-1 filter. I normally drive in comp. mode, and with the "new" filter there is a great new "seat of the pants" feel W/ the filter addition, and and slight increase in the tone. The unexpected response is that I get No! chech engine light or "bucking" as I did before with my Air-Charger CAI (even though slight). This is with about 500 plus miles on all three together. I will dyno next week to see the increase in my combo.

Big! Thanks to Jim @ Halltech for keeping us on the cutting edge.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
GoTreo
Pro

Is there a computer mod that will allow you to specify the startup mode for TC? I like to drive with everything turned OFF. I hate it when TC kicks in. It causes very unpredictable behavior when the car begins to break loose. Personally, I don't need help keeping the car under control on dry streets.

So it would be wonderful if there was a way to save the default TC mode and to have daytime running lights off by default as well. Every time I start my car, I have to switch off TC and turn off daytime running lights. It a real pain in the a&&.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Blu06Z06
Instructor

Jim,
I figured out the problem, you are using LS2 edit, the Z06 uses LS7edit!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BlkY2kC5
Jim,
I figured out the problem, you are using LS2 edit, the Z06 uses LS7edit!
Actually the LS7 uses LS2Edit. There is no such thing as LS7Edit except where I have called it that in my marketing. Here's why:

Originally, carputing sent the Beta version as LS7Edit to differentiate it from the LS2Edit program designed for the C6, GTO etc., so that bugs could be worked out in separate folders with his beta testers allowing separate feedback for the LS7.

Once LS7 Edit went to the full retail version, it was incorporated as LS2Edit rather than LS7Edit, which confuses many folks that are not in the loop on this stuff.

The important thing is what the program can do, not want it is called.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by GoTreo
Is there a computer mod that will allow you to specify the startup mode for TC? I like to drive with everything turned OFF. I hate it when TC kicks in. It causes very unpredictable behavior when the car begins to break loose. Personally, I don't need help keeping the car under control on dry streets.

So it would be wonderful if there was a way to save the default TC mode and to have daytime running lights off by default as well. Every time I start my car, I have to switch off TC and turn off daytime running lights. It a real pain in the a&&.

Jeff
Nope, I have unchecked all the Traction Control and Wheel Hop parameters, and the TC still activates unless the TC Button is depressed.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:38 AM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by louieT
I can tell Jim.. I could tell before I even drove the car..
Starting it and it sounded different.

I have been driving with my TC on normal and can tell. It does try to stop me when it breaks loose, but I have noticed from 30-40mph punch it.. Then breaks loose alittle but not enough to trigger the DIC..
It will for sure slam your head back and I can tell the most from the 2000-3500 rpm range. The best way I can describe it is a small lag at low rpm's. Not enough to notice unless you swaped the filters.. I have both the LS900 and the F-1 filters, NO TUNE , filters ONLY..

I haven't been able to bring myself to put the LS900 in to even see what it is like.
The F-1 is a FU(KING Blast IMHO..
My car got more fun if that was possible..

I will be tring it with Comp Mode and TC Off Mode.. I didn't even think of that. I actually forgot to switch mine off. It is about to get more fun.. I can't wait...
can you or anyone tell me what are LS900 and F1? How is a tune done?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:13 AM
GoTreo
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
Nope, I have unchecked all the Traction Control and Wheel Hop parameters, and the TC still activates unless the TC Button is depressed.
Thanks Jim. Any hope for over-riding daytime running lights?

Jeff
Old 07-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Pitzi
Instructor

Originally Posted by theVcar
LS900 and F1 arew free flow air filters. Tuning (mapping) canb either be done by programming the ECU on a dyno, or by changing and monitoring the parameters on the road

Get notified of new replies

To Competition Mode or Traction Control Off?

Old 07-22-2006, 08:50 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theVcar

LS900 & F-1 are filters for the ZO6

The Tune is computer work done on the ZO6 computer to make it gain extra HP..
Old 07-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by GoTreo
Thanks Jim. Any hope for over-riding daytime running lights?

Jeff
The PCM is the only computer of the many onboard computers we can re-calibrate.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:44 AM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim how about a group buy on the F1 filters?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Competition Mode or Traction Control Off?