Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Roll cage for the c6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll cage for the c6 Z06?

Does anyone know of a roll cage specifically built for the C6 Z06?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:26 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Got one for my C5. Can I suggest a custom fit. The welders almost always prefer to bend the tubes themselves
Old 08-08-2006, 04:28 PM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Old 08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseesp
Are you looking for a roll cage or a roll bar? There is a big difference between the two. If you are drag racing and have not modified the firewall you can run down to 10.00 with a roll bar and a few other modifications such as axle retention hoops etc.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville PA ( 50 miles west of Philly) has installed them.

Do the alumium frame and special mounting required for the alumium to steel attachments it is NOT a DIY job.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Jose, talk to Phoenix. They have done several C6Z cages. I don't know of any one else in the country doing them yet. Problem is getting a race-legal attachment to the aluminum frame.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 08-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Jose, talk to Phoenix. They have done several C6Z cages. I don't know of any one else in the country doing them yet. Problem is getting a race-legal attachment to the aluminum frame.

Frank Gonzalez

I already have an appointment for November at Phenix to install the roll cage. They are very expensive , so I want to make sure that I'm getting the best available, and from my experience, if it's out there, the guys from this forum already know about it.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Email for pix

I had a custom rollbar done..interface attachment process..base plates to chassis was rivets and GM glue. Not cheap. I have the templates for the attachement plates so they may be easily replicated.

Cheers

R

For pix

rolandrothATmac.com
Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I already have an appointment for November at Phenix to install the roll cage. They are very expensive , so I want to make sure that I'm getting the best available, and from my experience, if it's out there, the guys from this forum already know about it.

Phoenix IS THE BEST avaible. They build more T1 and T2 national chamion race cars then anyone else. Their cages are a work of art AND will protect you.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 AM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Are you looking for a roll cage or a roll bar? There is a big difference between the two. If you are drag racing and have not modified the firewall you can run down to 10.00 with a roll bar and a few other modifications such as axle retention hoops etc.
Even the roll bar has to be 5-point in NHRA rules starting at 11.49 in coupes:

Old 08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 BelAir
Even the roll bar has to be 5-point in NHRA rules starting at 11.49 in coupes:

True but if you compare this to the roll cage specs you can see a major difference. Aside from the engineering of the two a roll cage makes using the car on the street a difficult proposition. People do it but having one is a real PITA. Been there done that.

In fact I wouldn't even put a roll bar in a street car as it really screws up the storage space and the required 5 point seat belts are a real pain also. I guess if you want to run quicker than 11.50 more then twice a day you have no choice, I just don't think it is worth it.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1955 BelAir

and this roll bar is not legal for road racing.

Rember guys the Z has an alumium frame. You can not just bolt a steel roll bar or steel plate to an ALUIMIUM frame or drill holes in an alumium frame without the frame being substantially weakened.

Steel and alumium do not mix and there is some oxidation process between the two that will also weaken the frame ( dont know the exact name or cause of this chemical reaction )

So putting a Steel roll cage or roll bar into the New Z is not an easy job.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:40 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

I will track my Z soon and I always heard that the Corvette have no need of roll cage since they are already much better protected (due to the targa roof system) in comparison with a another car.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blackrockets
I will track my Z soon and I always heard that the Corvette have no need of roll cage since they are already much better protected (due to the targa roof system) in comparison with a another car.
No you dont NEED roll cage or roll bar. If you Z is a track only car, never to be driven on the road then you may wish to consider one.

Roll cage over a roll bar. Rolling OVER is not the issue, but side impact into tire walls, Armco ( steel walls) and Concreat Jersey barraiors is where the accidents happen. So it is the NASCAR door bars, not that simple little swing out door bar is what is really needed.

How does side impact happen??? No there is no car to car contact, but mostly drivers driving why beyond their skill level ( red mist) tires giving out and most of all brakes giving out. Why do brakes give out?? Guys to lazy to constatnly bleed the brake lines with fresh DOT 4 brake fluid and useing old brake pads or street pads when they should be useing racing brake pads.

If you drive with in your skill level and keep a level head, change your brake fluid before each track event and keep good tires on the car, you will be fine. ( of course as I re-red this I realize that this is an oxymoron. The better the skill of the drive the faster he wants to go )
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No you dont NEED roll cage or roll bar. If you Z is a track only car, never to be driven on the road then you may wish to consider one.

Roll cage over a roll bar. Rolling OVER is not the issue, but side impact into tire walls, Armco ( steel walls) and Concreat Jersey barraiors is where the accidents happen. So it is the NASCAR door bars, not that simple little swing out door bar is what is really needed.

How does side impact happen??? No there is no car to car contact, but mostly drivers driving why beyond their skill level ( red mist) tires giving out and most of all brakes giving out. Why do brakes give out?? Guys to lazy to constatnly bleed the brake lines with fresh DOT 4 brake fluid and useing old brake pads or street pads when they should be useing racing brake pads.

If you drive with in your skill level and keep a level head, change your brake fluid before each track event and keep good tires on the car, you will be fine. ( of course as I re-red this I realize that this is an oxymoron. The better the skill of the drive the faster he wants to go )

My concern has always been you naturally push harder the better you get.As you get faster those little mistakes seam to be harder to correct.It's just a matter of time something may happen.

Imho if you do HPDE a handful of times a year and respect your abilities and inabilities, including the cars capabilities you probably will be fine.

I think once I get more active and my skill level increases I will consider the advanced stage of protection.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll cage for the c6 Z06?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Roll cage for the c6 Z06?