Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] More sound insulation in 2007 model?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 09:11 AM
smook
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try to get the info for everyone. I also believe I have the isolator package insulation in my 06 c6z as well. I'm not sure how to check that though.

My info is good. I have a great service mgr @ my Chev dealer who gets the information.

On another note, all c6z's including the current 07 c6z's to-date will have to change our roofs. A new roof is currently being manufactured for replacement.

See below,

Service VME - Roof Availability for Campaign 05112D - keywords laminate lamination paint panel part separate separation SMC #PIC4121A - (08/03/2006)

Models:
2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI has been updated to include the new part number of the SMC roof and parts availability. Please discard PIC4121.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

SERVICE VME

This is a service VME to all Chevrolet dealers regarding 2005 and 2006 Corvettes and Z06 roof panels. SPO has begun shipping the new SMC roof panel. All orders for replacement roof panels have been superseded by part numbers 19152840 for the coupe and 19152839 for the Z06. These new roof panels are SMC and do not need to be foam filled. An SMC roof can be easily identified by checking the center interior area that will be covered by the headliner. This area will be a light green/gray color. Polycarbonate roof interiors are all black in color. Everything coming from SPO now will be the SMC roof which and does not need to be foam filled.

Some dealers have reported the replacement roofs appears to have a scrape mark on the edge of each side. This is not a manufacturing defect or the result of mishandling during shipping. The flattened edge is to facilitate the bonding fixture and this area is covered by the edge molding making it invisible after installation.

Some dealers have reported cases of the front corners broken on new roofs as they are received at the dealership. SPO has been advised and they are reviewing their packaging

SPO has been working diligently to fill orders as quickly as possible and additional roofs are being diverted to SPO as they become available. **** orders are the first priority with other back orders being filled only after all **** cases have been cleared.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

-zBill.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Exterminator
What kind of isolater? Where exactly does it install?
I too would like to know this!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elegant
The increased sound insulation in the 07 Z is two "outer panel sound isolators" and a thicker rear cargo area mat. I installed the two isolators (one on each side) into my 06 Z -- easy to do, and it has made a difference in reducing tire whine. The two weight less than 1/2 pound TOTAL, cost about $29 each from our forum dealer Fitchner Chevrolet. Call Parts Bob at Fitchner at 1-800-234-5284 if interested. I am pleased I did, well worth it. And best of all I still get to hear all the great exhaust sounds and other noises which make the Z great. It is not a panacea however for the concrete pavement tire whine, though even that is a little less.

The thicker carpet mat in the 07's is the same one as in the 07 Coupe. According to Will Cooksey the combination of all three parts weight about two pounds more.
What kind of outer panel isolaters? Where do they install? Any pictures?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:44 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Delta3-2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WildBill502
My 2007 Z06 is my first Vette, so I don't have an earlier Z06 to compare it to...

That being said, I can not immagine having to live with the center console and hump being hotter than it is on my 2007! It is downright uncomfortable and quite disappointing that I have to run the A/C pointed down at my legs even when I'm running with the windows opened.

I'm sure some of you macho, vette-defenders are going to tell me to just man-up etc, etc. After all, it's a racecar... right???

WB

P.S. Anyone know what racecar spelled backwards is?

You're correct about some clown telling you not to be a puss and suck it up BECAUSE it's a race car. I had it happen a couple years ago in the C5 forum.

Supposedly the C6 was to have sound and heat insulation (?) throughout. I understood 15 pounds of the stuff. Well, I don't own one but I do have a 2000 FRC. The road noise thumping through the wheel wells and into the cabin was unbelievably loud. Not to mention the heat coming off the tranny tunnel. When we ripped out the interior carpet there wasn't a shred of insulation to be found...NADA, Zip, nothing. You'd think if nothing more they'd offer it as a freakin' option for those of us who would want it since they're so downright cheap failing to install decent insulation as a manufacturing standard !

Anyhow, what I did to my C5 was:

1. Rip the entire interior out, including seat belt anchors and of course the console.
2. Buy 10 Rolls of Frost King Insulation (for heater and A/C ducts)
3. Insulate the entire floor and trunk area.
4. Re-Install interior (Of Course )
5. Get rid of your run-flats.
6. Partition off your cabin from the trunk/storage area.

If you do all that, you'll never complain again about having to use the A/C or the road noise. In fact if all you do is the FROST KING Mod you'll be happier than a pig in the proverbial doo-doo.

You can look up "Mike Mercury" on a Google. Go to his webpage. He gives you some guidance on the FROST KING insulation. Or you can go into the archives here....type in FROST KING and get various hits on the mod by guys who've done it already.

Hey....with a Saturday, a good buddy (no beer untill AFTER you're done) to help, and 10 rolls of FROST KING (approx $ 170) you'll be glad you did the mod.

BTW....no one should have to do such a thing to a modern, 21st Century vehicle. But if you otherwise enjoy the car then you'll have to do what the factory/engineers failed to do. It's not overly difficult, just annoying that you would even have to consider doing such a project. Relying on Chevy to help will be more frustrating then it's worth. Chevy engineering KNEW about this same problem in EVERY model of C5...FRC, Coupe, Convertible, and Z06. Yet they ignored it anyway.

Can't believe Chevy is still kicking out a supposed world class car like the Corvette and not spending the extra $100 buck to properly sound/heat insulate them. No wonder they're in financial straits. Me thinks engineering and the bean counters are suffering from cranial-rectal inversion !

Last edited by Delta3-2; 08-13-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Delta3-2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Delta3-2
You're correct about some clown telling you not to be a puss and suck it up BECAUSE it's a race car. I had it happen a couple years ago in the C5 forum.

Supposedly the C6 was to have sound and heat insulation (?) throughout. I understood 15 pounds of the stuff. Well, I don't own one but I do have a 2000 FRC. The road noise thumping through the wheel wells and into the cabin was unbelievably loud. Not to mention the heat coming off the tranny tunnel. When we ripped out the interior carpet there wasn't a shred of insulation to be found...NADA, Zip, nothing. You'd think if nothing more they'd offer it as a freakin' option for those of us who would want it since they're so downright cheap failing to install decent insulation as a manufacturing standard !

Anyhow, what I did to my C5 was:

1. Rip the entire interior out, including seat belt anchors and of course the console.
2. Buy 10 Rolls of Frost King Insulation (for heater and A/C ducts)
3. Insulate the entire floor and trunk area.
4. Re-Install interior (Of Course )
5. Get rid of your run-flats.
6. Partition off your cabin from the trunk/storage area.

If you do all that, you'll never complain again about having to use the A/C or the road noise. In fact if all you do is the FROST KING Mod you'll be happier than a pig in the proverbial doo-doo.

You can look up "Mike Mercury" on a Google. Go to his webpage. He gives you some guidance on the FROST KING insulation. Or you can go into the archives here....type in FROST KING and get various hits on the mod by guys who've done it already.

Hey....with a Saturday, a good buddy (no beer untill AFTER you're done) to help, and 10 rolls of FROST KING (approx $ 170) you'll be glad you did the mod.

BTW....no one should have to do such a thing to a modern, 21st Century vehicle. But if you otherwise enjoy the car then you'll have to do what the factory/engineers failed to do. It's not overly difficult, just annoying that you would even have to consider doing such a project. Relying on Chevy to help will be more frustrating then it's worth. Chevy engineering KNEW about this same problem in EVERY model of C5...FRC, Coupe, Convertible, and Z06. Yet they ignored it anyway.

Can't believe Chevy is still kicking out a supposed world class car like the Corvette and not spending the extra $100 buck to properly sound/heat insulate them. No wonder they're in financial straits. Me thinks engineering and the bean counters are suffering from cranial-rectal inversion !

I had to go searching in the archives. I wasn't the original one posting the message, just got involved in the thread. So here's my detailed advice on the FROST KING mod from back in 2004. Hope it helps you guys:

Beltated Thank You To Mike Mercury
In late September of last year I, along with a friend of mine, ripped out the entire interior of my 2000 FRC per Mike Mercury's instructions.

To my amazement I found there was NOTHING underneath the carpet. No insulation whatsoever ! Thank you Chevrolet.

Anyhow....having taken out the interior we started to install the Frost King insulation. What we discovered is that the amount of Frost King rolls needed is more like 9/10 rolls (not 5 as Mike Mercury suggests) for the FRC. That included doing the cabin, waterfall, and entire trunk area.

Some observations from the install:

1. Mike Mercury provides the LOWE'S SKU # at his website. Go directly to LOWE'S Customer Service desk, give them the SKU # and ask them if:
a. It's in Stock ?
b. How many rolls do they have ?
c. Which department is it in ?

2. My LOWE's here in NW Pennsylvania stocks the Frost King Insulation in the Plumbing Dept. Make sure you go to Mike Mercury's site: http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm and know what the packaged product looks like (Mike has a pic of it). Chances are the LOWE's people won't have a clue what it looks like or even where it's stocked within their department. If the computer inventory says they have X #'s of rolls in stock, they do. Don't let the employees be lazy and tell you: "we don't have any."

3. The Frost King Insulation should unroll easily. As you unroll it the stuff should peel away easily. If you find it sticking to the roll as you peel it away, tearing, the stuff is defective. Take it back to the store and exchange it for a fresh roll. I found this happening on the very last roll I needed to use. I was able to make do with what I had left as a trip to my LOWE's was a 50-mile round trip. SUGGESTION: If you buy a couple more rolls than you think you'll need LOWE's will refund your money on returned rolls unopened.

4. This technique of Mike Mercury's to insulate with the Frost King is next to genius status as far as I'm concerned. You'll need basic handtools to remove the seats, console and various plastic trim parts from the interior. The only tool we found to be nice to have access to was a pneumatic impact wrench for R & R of the seatbelt mounting bolts. They're a pain to remove and re-install because of the torque needed. You can probably just work around the belt mounting brackets but we took them out and installed the belt mounting brackets over the insulation.

5. After we finished the job having put the car back together I wondered if perhaps we shouldn't have just doubled the layer of Frost King we had installed in the 'Vette. There IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM under the carpet for a single layer of the Frost King. In fact we could have double-layered the insulation but perhaps that would have been overkill ? I'll probably never know as I'm extremely pleased with the results and will never tear the interior apart again.

6. While you have the interior ripped out you may want to replace the OEM rear speakers. Even if you have the BOSE crap speakers (cardboard coned junk made in Mexico) I suggest you replace them. The speakers are exposed and it's one thing you can take care of in addition to insulating your 'Vette.

It's an all-day job. So if you have a friend helping be prepared to spend the entire day, starting early. Have the Pizza delivery guy on call.

For detailed guidance & instructions on this modification go to Mike Mercury's website: http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm

Kudos to Mike Mercury and a big THANK YOU ! from me. The results allow you to speak with a passenger using normal conversation. And the road noise is practically eliminated. Add a trunk partition and you're in business !

Enjoy.

Dan G.
Girard, PA USA
Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

How thick is the Frost King insulation?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:55 AM
Delta3-2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Webfoot
How thick is the Frost King insulation?
1/8"
Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Is the press release coming soon?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:19 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Still no press release?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Symbolic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elegant
The increased sound insulation in the 07 Z is two "outer panel sound isolators" and a thicker rear cargo area mat. I installed the two isolators (one on each side) into my 06 Z -- easy to do, and it has made a difference in reducing tire whine. The two weight less than 1/2 pound TOTAL, cost about $29 each from our forum dealer Fitchner Chevrolet. Call Parts Bob at Fitchner at 1-800-234-5284 if interested.

The thicker carpet mat in the 07's is the same one as in the 07 Coupe. According to Will Cooksey the combination of all three parts weight about two pounds more.
I ordered the two Outer Panel Sound Isolators from Fitchner. However, Bob in the Parts Dept. is on vacation. His colleague Tom is taking his place. When Tom checked the Part No. for the Model Year 2007 Rear Cargo Area Mat, he claims that it's the EXACT SAME Part No. specified for the 2006 Rear Cargo Area Mat!

The problem is that the list price exceeds $400! I'd sure hate to purchase the 2007 Rear Cargo Area Mat and find that it's completely identical to what I already have in my 2006 Z06. Can anyone 100% confirm whether the 2007 Rear Cargo Area Mat is really and truly a different part??? Has anyone actually done a hands-on direct physical comparison of examining the Rear Cargo Area Mat in a MY 2006 Z06 vs that in a MY 2007 Z06/Standard C6 Coupe? If so, I'd love to hear impressions of the comparison before rolling the dice on a $400-plus gamble.

By the way, who is this Will Cooksey that you cite in your post above? Is he someone that can be contacted?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM
js78
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

buy a lloyd z06 cargo mat
cheaper, looks better, and will do the same thing
Old 10-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moto xxx
insulation is much improved...I went from 2005 C6 to 2007 Z06, quieter at highway speed. Also bose stereo is much better.
Ok, I know they have more sound proofing. But is the Bose Stereo really improved or is this a result of having more sound proofing in the car.

In otherwords, are all the salesmen saying that the stereo is improved but in actuality it is because they can actually hear it now over the tire noise?

I would really like to know if the stereo was upgraded? One salesman said that they gave the amp in the Bose Stereo more power? Hmmm, is that true, sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Anyone have an 07 Z06 that can comment on this? I was listening to my stereo at half volume, or maybe just a little above half. I wasn't listening to rap or anything with really heavy base. But every time I heard the drum base in the song my doors clanged like I had a cheap stereo installation and it really wasn't turned up that loud.

What a disappointment. I kinda of wanted to leave the thing stock cause I think people appreciate these kind of cars better that way. So the farthest I would probably go is to install the 07 Stereo in the 06 that I have.

Any advice appreciated...

Old 10-22-2006, 09:48 AM
smook
Melting Slicks

I have a 06 c6z. The stereo is excellent! I would suspect you have a loose connection to a speaker or the rattle is due to a loose fitting with that certain speaker. Try to locate the noise/speaker and then inspect the actual speaker. (maybe a tear in the speaker).

My understanding is that the stereo is NOT upgraded. Just the controls on the wheel for volume/mode change. (most find those new controls too tiny and difficult to use, btw--we are not missing anything there).

With the new insulation in the 2007, some say the stereo sounds better. I wonder, since it's only over the wheel wells. I'm sticking to my stock setup. Check your speakers, I'm sure you'll find the speaker that is making noise and then get them to order a new one under warranty. This happened to another car of mine and just doing the re-install and re-sitting of the speaker in the door fixed my problem.

Good luck.
-zBill.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:26 AM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette1221
Ok, I know they have more sound proofing. But is the Bose Stereo really improved or is this a result of having more sound proofing in the car.

In otherwords, are all the salesmen saying that the stereo is improved but in actuality it is because they can actually hear it now over the tire noise?

I would really like to know if the stereo was upgraded? One salesman said that they gave the amp in the Bose Stereo more power? Hmmm, is that true, sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Anyone have an 07 Z06 that can comment on this? I was listening to my stereo at half volume, or maybe just a little above half. I wasn't listening to rap or anything with really heavy base. But every time I heard the drum base in the song my doors clanged like I had a cheap stereo installation and it really wasn't turned up that loud.

What a disappointment. I kinda of wanted to leave the thing stock cause I think people appreciate these kind of cars better that way. So the farthest I would probably go is to install the 07 Stereo in the 06 that I have.

Any advice appreciated...

The stereo is better than it was in my '05 coupe, but is still mediocre at best. It's an extra expense, but I just replaced the whole thing, I keep the stock pieces and put them back when I sell the car. Not much point having a more powerful amplifier if it just makes awful quality louder.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smook
I have a 06 c6z. The stereo is excellent! I would suspect you have a loose connection to a speaker or the rattle is due to a loose fitting with that certain speaker. Try to locate the noise/speaker and then inspect the actual speaker. (maybe a tear in the speaker).

My understanding is that the stereo is NOT upgraded. Just the controls on the wheel for volume/mode change. (most find those new controls too tiny and difficult to use, btw--we are not missing anything there).

With the new insulation in the 2007, some say the stereo sounds better. I wonder, since it's only over the wheel wells. I'm sticking to my stock setup. Check your speakers, I'm sure you'll find the speaker that is making noise and then get them to order a new one under warranty. This happened to another car of mine and just doing the re-install and re-sitting of the speaker in the door fixed my problem.

Good luck.
-zBill.
Smook,

Thanks for the info. I hope that is all it is, just a lose speaker or a bad speaker or something. I couple of times, and I have to say very few, I have memories, with the windows rolled up and coasting down a hill where I thought the stereo sounded great. But most of the time there is no base at all. No, I don't need to have my doors booming or anything like that, just expect to hear base. And I don't expect it to be as good as the stereo in my BMW 745li either.

But it does seem lacking. A friend of mine once commented that it had no base when he road in the car. At first I ignored his comments because I thought they were unfounded. But later I realized after observation with many different types of music that he was right.

Where is the base.

With the windows rolled up it seems tolerable because the volume of the music is such that base is not an issue. But when you put the windows down there is not enough range to hear the music clearly.

Can I expect this to improve? For fear of disappointment I am sure I will be much happier if at the very least my speakers don't clatter and that goes away. But I won't expect the base to suddenly appear where it wasn't before.

Oh yes, I have played with the controls in my NAV to control the base, but it doesn't seem to have much range.

Do you have the NAV installed? If not I wonder if there is a difference between the stereos offered?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] More sound insulation in 2007 model?