Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Mid engine next generation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
So you saying that the eurotics are not worth the price tag??

Well I disagree, I think they are, if GM can charge 80k for the Z06, a 175k F430 isnt that far fetched considering everything in the equation and just not the performance..
Why put words in my mouth, just read what I wrote. Having said that, the cost to build isn't much more. Do you think the AL in a F car cost more than the AL in a vette?

Last edited by LTC Z06; 12-12-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:30 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jacflash
Oh, c'mon. You know full well what is meant -- and you OUGHT to know full well that putting the engine behind the driver will change the handling dynamics, BIGTIME, compared to the current not-really-mid-engined-except-by-obtuse-and-functionally-meaningless-definitions layout. You want to throw around jargon? Here's some for you: LOW POLAR MOMENT OF INERTIA. That means it changes direction wicked fast. Coolest thing ever, if you know how to handle it. A quick trip into the guardrail if you don't. The current layout -- by pushing the engine and trans to opposite edges of the inside-the-axles envelope -- greatly mutes this tendency. Concentrating the mass closer to the car's center would enhance it.

I would love to see a proper mid-engined Vette. Personally, I think it would be the greatest thing ever, and I'll buy the first manual-trans example I see and spend the next several years scaring the crap out of the local Ferraristi. But I don't know if it's a good idea to be selling 'em to the Joe Fatbutts who still make up a dismayingly large percentage of Vette buyers, even if they lard it up with electronic nannies.
Sir have you read any of the previous post?
Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
For all the advantages that rear mid-engine cars have on the track it is a fact that it is easier for amateurs to drive quickly with a front mid-engine car. The advantages of rear mid-engine can only be taken advantage of by highly skilled drivers. Also there is the luggage space issue. Modern design for rear mid-engine cars does not leave much room for luggage.
This is not just my thoughts, this is a fact, a fact I tested many times on the Nurburgring.

Last edited by LTC Z06; 12-12-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Wide_One
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacflash
Oh, c'mon. You know full well what is meant -- and you OUGHT to know full well that putting the engine behind the driver will change the handling dynamics, BIGTIME, compared to the current not-really-mid-engined-except-by-obtuse-and-functionally-meaningless-definitions layout. You want to throw around jargon? Here's some for you: LOW POLAR MOMENT OF INERTIA. That means it changes direction wicked fast. Coolest thing ever, if you know how to handle it. A quick trip into the guardrail if you don't. The current layout -- by pushing the engine and trans to opposite edges of the inside-the-axles envelope -- greatly mutes this tendency. Concentrating the mass closer to the car's center would enhance it.

I would love to see a proper mid-engined Vette. Personally, I think it would be the greatest thing ever, and I'll buy the first manual-trans example I see and spend the next several years scaring the crap out of the local Ferraristi. But I don't know if it's a good idea to be selling 'em to the Joe Fatbutts who still make up a dismayingly large percentage of Vette buyers, even if they lard it up with electronic nannies.
....well said.....

Last edited by Wide_One; 12-12-2006 at 09:11 PM. Reason: small change
Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide_One
Statement: Buy any corvette modify it to what "you" want it to do and have fun!!!
You will have a hard time understanding that.
I understand that; it's what I've done to every car I've ever owned.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Johnny Por'sha
Advanced

For all the advantages that rear mid-engine cars have on the track it is a fact that it is easier for amateurs to drive quickly with a front mid-engine car. The advantages of rear mid-engine can only be taken advantage of by highly skilled drivers. Also there is the luggage space issue. Modern design for rear mid-engine cars does not leave much room for luggage.
I've seen this stated 3 times now in this thread. I can easily carry (2) sets of golf clubs + 1 medium sized bag + 1 laptop in the back boot, and 2 more medium sized bags in the front boot. How much more do you possibly need out of a 2-seat mid-engine sports car??
Old 12-16-2006, 12:06 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Johnny Por'sha
I've seen this stated 3 times now in this thread. I can easily carry (2) sets of golf clubs + 1 medium sized bag + 1 laptop in the back boot, and 2 more medium sized bags in the front boot. How much more do you possibly need out of a 2-seat mid-engine sports car??
What car are you talking about? A 911 is a rear engined car with 4 seats.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Johnny Por'sha
Advanced

What car are you talking about? A 911 is a rear engined car with 4 seats.
Cayman S. I said mid-engine with 2 seats.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Let's all remain civil toward each other please.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:10 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Cayman S. I said mid-engine with 2 seats.
Yes Porsche has been very unique and practical with the Boxster/Cayman design. I was talking about the 360/430/Lambo styles that most of the others are talking about.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Johnny Por'sha
Advanced

Yes Porsche has been very unique and practical with the Boxster/Cayman design. I was talking about the 360/430/Lambo styles that most of the others are talking about.
That of course is due to those cars being "spyders". They have to use a flat rear deck to be able to go topless. You can still get 2 medium sized bags in the front boot. I'm not sure how many F430 Spyders are being used to haul 2-3 bags + golf clubs and some groceries....I don't think that is really in the profile of why you drop $225K on the world's best sports car.

I would like a Z07 Vette that is mid-engined for the enthusiast and the base C7 vanilla model front engine for all others....but that is probably 2 separate model types, as opposed to an upgrade option.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:13 PM
leeman
Racer

Originally Posted by Onyasix
Rather edgy, looks more like a Caddy with C5 badges.
If the C7 looks like that I will buy it in an instant mid-engine or not. Gm is going to have to come up with something fantastic to over shadow the C5 and C6. In my opinion this would be the design to do it.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

That of course is due to those cars being "spyders". They have to use a flat rear deck to be able to go topless. ...I don't think that is really in the profile of why you drop $225K on the world's best sports car.
Not all of those car are "Spyders". You can get them either way, and either way they have very little room for gear. And who says all of the above listed are "the world's best sports car"? We all know they're awesome in every way, but to sit there and say that people who buy them have "so much money that they needn't care about stowage space" is way outside of the scope of this thread. And a ridiculous angle to take as well.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 12-16-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:53 PM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

If you read McLellan's book you know there's a Corvette mid-engine concept out there now. It's the Morrison/Mosler MT900. They're racing in Europe. Corvette Mike Vietro delivered the first 50-state legal U.S. production MT900 to George Lucas (yeah, that one) a couple of weeks ago in San Francisco. Vadar black. About $200k.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:00 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indianavette
If you read McLellan's book you know there's a Corvette mid-engine concept out there now. It's the Morrison/Mosler MT900. They're racing in Europe. Corvette Mike Vietro delivered the first 50-state legal U.S. production MT900 to George Lucas (yeah, that one) a couple of weeks ago in San Francisco. Vadar black. About $200k.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:17 AM
leeman
Racer

Originally Posted by Wide_One
There's more to it here ....I won't buy another Vet until it becomes a mid engine the c5 and c6 are more "dumb bell" than all the other years. Included is to much weight on a live axle and the center balance is simply moved to each end of a beam. The only way the vet is to become world class is to make the mid engine. Remember the days when most of us raced slot cars if you built a slot car with the scaled down weights of a c5 or a c6 there would be no chance of beating a c1 c2 c3 or c4 let alone a mid engine. The later models are basically made for the portly american buying public who are happy with less than world class.....ever wonder why europe and japan have little interest in the present car. I know everyone thinks c5/6 is great but if they were put against a serious mid engine would be like racing nascar where trucks can be made to handle and making horse power is never an issue.
It is my opinion that not having a mid-engine has nothing to do with sales overseas. Japan is into sliding and tuner cars that are Asian made and Europe is the same way about their Porsches and BMW's. It's all about national pride and we're the best. It does not matter to them that C6R beat the pants off their cars race after race. It doesn't matter that the C5 ZO6 was the first Ameican made sports car to do uner 8 minutes at the "Ring". That is exptic car speed. What's surprising is it still does not matter even though the C6 is about half the price.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 AM
leeman
Racer

I'm not keen on the engine being behind the driver. Their noisy and hot and I understand it took Porsche engineers many years to solve overheating problems. Relying on side vents to get air into the engine bay is tricky business. Corvette has cleverly achieved a near 50/50 weight distribution in the C5 and C6 by locating the tranny in the rear. C6 ZO6 is at 3.7 sec 0-60 and turing 11's in the quarter not to mention it is a formidible weekend circular track racer able to take out Ferrari's and Lambos. forget the mid-engine and give me:smash that great shape shown in the previous post.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Wide_One
Pro

Originally Posted by leeman
It is my opinion that not having a mid-engine has nothing to do with sales overseas. Japan is into sliding and tuner cars that are Asian made and Europe is the same way about their Porsches and BMW's. It's all about national pride and we're the best. It does not matter to them that C6R beat the pants off their cars race after race. It doesn't matter that the C5 ZO6 was the first Ameican made sports car to do uner 8 minutes at the "Ring". That is exptic car speed. What's surprising is it still does not matter even though the C6 is about half the price.
I saw the c6r up close, not a production car (not that it has to be) by no means and the area where the trans and engine set is very well concealed. If I'm to wag it I would bet the engine is rearward and the trans is forward for better balance. You brought up a good point ....I wonder why instead of driving the z06 over there why not here at daytona or talladega as fast as it can go .....or even michigan. Lots of other cars have....and japan has a few supercars on the drawing board and "if" the market avails you can be sure we'll see ine on the road. Hey how bout the top fuel cars going rear engine rip van winkle!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Mid engine next generation

Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 PM
leeman
Racer

Originally Posted by Onyasix
Rather edgy, looks more like a Caddy with C5 badges.
Hey Ony, can we get a front and side view of this fabulous shape. If you produced this in photoshop you are a real talent in my book. GM should waste no time getting you on the design team. My only concern is that they may not be able to pay you what your worth
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by leeman
Hey Ony, can we get a front and side view of this fabulous shape. If you produced this in photoshop you are a real talent in my book. GM should waste no time getting you on the design team. My only concern is that they may not be able to pay you what your worth

Actually, the car above was drawn by Kyle Teichert and he posted it on the CorvetteForum.com October 4, 2002. It is a tweaked Cadillac Cien V-12 show car:

David
Old 01-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by petefias
I thougth the C6 was an evolution of the C5, so the C7 will be a rebodied C6? Not that anything is wrong with that, but this is another indicator how much (money) trouble GM is having.
C6 is over 80%new... nothing like a C5

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Mid engine next generation