Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Mid engine next generation

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
a more technically advanced engine would be nicer, parting with the charriot like leaf springs would be nicer, better gearing and gearbox (stuff the gas guzzler tax), carbonceramic brakes, and so on and so on. Offcourse our hunger for more, better and faster will never ends, but I think we can (and maybe even must) be mighty pleased with the way the Z06 is right now.
Cam placement and number of valves does not make an engine more or less technically advanced. Ask yourself this, if you like the HP and TQ numbers and curves do you really care how the engine makes it? If not then the LSx engines are some of the most advanced in the world. They are smaller, lighter, less complicated and get better gas mileage then many, many engines that make similar power. A spring is a spring no matter what it's shape, and for the money we save with the vette's suspension we still get a suspension that is adjustable and can be corner weighted. Not the perfect suspension package for the driver that can push the car to 10/10ths but how many of us can do that? Also options make the price of a car go up even if you don't want them.

A great thread on coils and leaf springs.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...0&page=1&pp=20

Last edited by LTC Z06; 02-14-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Ask yourself this, if you like the HP and TQ numbers and curves do you really care how the engine makes it? If not then the LSx engines are some of the most advanced in the world. They are smaller, lighter, less complicated and get better gas mileage then many, many engines that make similar power.
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the guys whose attitude is "it takes MORE parts (and weight, and complexity, and problems) to call an engine advanced or sophisticated". No way - the LS7 is more sophisticated because of the way it makes more power using a simpler more foolproof, lighter design. It is more sophisticated because of its use of exotic materials. This is some of the best engine engineering we have seen in years, from anyone. Lighter and simpler is better.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Bavarian Motorist
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question is..

Front mid-engine or rear mid-engine?

In all likelihood, it will be front mid-engine, so there will be no loss of cargo space. Relax, dudes.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 PM
eye one
Intermediate

I understand there will be a Corvette C7 for the 2009 or 2010 model year with a supercharged LS9 engine putting down 650 HP, and the engine will remain up front. In addition carbon fiber will be used for the hood, roof, fenders and rocker panels.

Would this be the same supercar also known as the blue devil or super sport? I searched around but didn't see much talk on the C7.

I don't own a vette, just wish I did.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StickShiftCorvette
Mid engine cars generally CAN handle better because of their lower polar moment of interia that aids transitional turning and rearward weight bias for better traction to the rear drive wheels for 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance.

A mid engined car compared to a front engine rear drive car is like a dumbell compared to a cannon ball: the cannon ball can can be quickly and easily spun on its vertial axis compared to a dumbell (laying on its weights). Even if they weigh the same it is much easier to turn the cannon ball. The "dumbell" car can have 50-50 weight distribution, but that weight being far from the center of gravity is hard to turn.

Remember, early C3 Corvettes had 48% front/52% rear weight distribution and these don't outhandle C5's or C6s...
AGREE!! What gives a mid engine car the edge over a front engine/rear drive or front drive car is its center of gravity. No matter how one cuts it, that alone contributes significantly to the very balanced handling characteristics of a mid engine car.

Last edited by rudyarias; 02-25-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
The question is..

Front mid-engine or rear mid-engine?

In all likelihood, it will be front mid-engine, so there will be no loss of cargo space. Relax, dudes.
That does not make any sense. Mid engine means the engine is in the center of the vehicle. Considering that the Fiero as well as the Fiat X1/9 did not fair well with the American buying public. I do not see a mid engine Corvette in the future with its current 90º engine design. If GM moves to an 180º engine design then it may be a reality.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM
chase18303
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rudyarias
That does not make any sense. Mid engine means the engine is in the center of the vehicle. Considering that the Fiero as well as the Fiat X1/9 did not fair well with the American buying public. I do not see a mid engine Corvette in the future with its current 90º engine design. If GM moves to an 180º engine design then it may be a reality.
By front mid-engine he means the engine will be in front of the cabin, but set behind the front axle... like in a Maserati Quattroporte and the Ferrari 612.

Porsche 911 is rear engine because the engine is behind the rear axle. A Ferrari 360 & 430 are Mid-Engine. It's all about how the weight of the engine falls on the front and rear axles.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette for life
C6 is over 80%new... nothing like a C5
Dave Hill the retired chief engineer of the C6 said on an interview on TV that the C6 was approximately 85% new, you are right on. And the biggest discussion and change was "those (raised) headlights" which were removed for better aerodynamics. They were like air brakes on the previous generations. If course, as you can see that GM was taking another perspective in that car, Vette, wantings to make it a world class racecar, not exactly a sportscar anymore. This is the main reason why I bought the 06 c6 a6 F55, etc., they wanted to show the world that they wern't playing second fiddle anymore.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Mid-engine styling certainly has it's own distinctive design elements. I am really liking the new Audi R8. At $100k, this car would be in my sights as well. Mid-engine styling, awd and only lacking in raw power. That thing looks friggin' sweet from the back.

Why can't the new vette be mid-engined styled after the Cien. That was an excellent design concept worthy of $100k+.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:10 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
Mid-engine styling certainly has it's own distinctive design elements. I am really liking the new Audi R8. At $100k, this car would be in my sights as well. Mid-engine styling, awd and only lacking in raw power. That thing looks friggin' sweet from the back.

Why can't the new vette be mid-engined styled after the Cien. That was an excellent design concept worthy of $100k+.
I would be careful with an Audi, I would do all the research and talk to as many people ad you can. I had an Audi and it looked great everywhere, under hood, outside and inside, but every 30 to 60 days something plastic would break. My son wanted the car, like I said, it looked great. I finally had to take it away from him and give him the Honda Accord because of the breakage. This beautiful car left a very, very bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't buy another one, they would have to give it to me! Sorry, forgot to mentioned the transmission problems, three (3) in 27k miles, 27,000 miles.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 02-26-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

So you want the vette to be a rear mid-engine layout for looks?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:28 PM
32valves
Pro

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
So you want the vette to be a rear mid-engine layout for looks?
looks, aero, lower polar moment, and weight distribution as discussed ad nauseam.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

the GM Rep is right, but as of now, there is no mid engine car made, it is in the works, doesn't mean that it will be produced
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM
bnall40
Racer

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I personally spoke with two Corvette engineers at the C6 Bash this past Spring. They also said that a mid-engine car was being highly considered for the C-8. The C-7 will be an evolution of the C-6, but after that............?
If they do produce a street mid engine C-8 .... they already have years of experience with the CDP. It would be expensive!
There are CDPs for sale.. now!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Mid engine next generation