Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech Torquer LS7 camshaft information

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Katech Torquer LS7 camshaft information

For those of you who have headers and are looking for that next step, or maybe just getting started modifying your Z06 here is a cam that you can have confidence in.

First, this camshaft was developed by the same engineers that contribute to the factory GM race programs. It was validated on our Optron valvetrain dynamics test cell for superior valve control and durability. You can be confident that when installed in your vehicle, you have a margin of safety far beyond normal operating range.

Second, this camshaft has been around for almost a year now and has produced many satisfied customers. It may not be the highest peak horsepower producing camshaft on the market, but it's gobs of torque pin you to the seat and the comfortable drivabilty offers a great balance. After all, if you don't enjoy driving the car it doesn't matter how much horsepower you make.

Third, it's ease of installation. All you need is the cam, springs and titanium retainers and you have a proven package. We recommend using Kooks headers with this package and also typically use Corsa exhaust. Of course you'll need a chassis dyno or mail order tune. You can purchase through Halltech's stage 3 package.

This camshaft has satisfied the horsepower needs of other tuners such as:
Halltech
Breathless Performance
Extreme Motorsports
Guldstrand Motorsports

SPECS & PRICING:
Camshaft:
Duration @ .050 - 220/244
Lift - .615/.648
LSA - 110
ICL - 106 (installed straight up)
Price: $500

Springs:
Single beehive
65g
Install height: 1.850
Price: $256/set

Retainers:
Titanium
5.5g
Uses production locks and lash caps

Power (STP) Engine Dyno:
600hp 570lb-ft of torque

Sound clips:
http://www.katechengines.com/street_...e_packages.php

To order, call 866-Katech1. We can usually ship same day.

FAQ:
Will this void my warranty?
Depends on the specific failure circumstance and your dealer's willingness to work with you.

What kind of gas mileage will I get?
Near-stock gas mileage...if you can keep your foot out of it

Do you have anything that makes more power than this one?
This is our best street cam for power, torque and drivability. We have tested others, but you make sacrifices in torque and drivability.

How much rwhp will this make?
Depending on whose chassis dyno, we have seen 508-557rwhp

Can I run this without headers?
You could, but you would make less power (-15hp).

Do I need to modify the heads or port?
We have done some ported head combos for customers who use this cam and want every last bit of power possible, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Can you install the cam?
Yes, we do complete vehicles and any type of install you need right here at Katech.

I live far, can you recommend anybody else to install the cam?
One of our dealers could install the cam for you.
West Coast - Guldstrand Motorsports, Burbank CA
Southwest - Arizona Power and Sound, Tempe AZ
Southeast - Thunder Racing, Baton Rouge LA
East Coast - Breathless performance, NJ

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 10-01-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Jason -

I've 'brawled' with you plenty of times before, but not this time. Sincere question. HP=(Tq*RPM)/5252. Therefore, the Tq and HP lines should ALWAYS cross at 5252RPMs, right? The graph you've posted shows them crossing closer to 5500? Am I misreading?

jas
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 PM
modernfast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the rear wheel HP & TQ
Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by jvp
Jason -

I've 'brawled' with you plenty of times before, but not this time. Sincere question. HP=(Tq*RPM)/5252. Therefore, the Tq and HP lines should ALWAYS cross at 5252RPMs, right? The graph you've posted shows them crossing closer to 5500? Am I misreading?

jas
HP and Torque are on seperate y-axis (see left and right). A lot of our graphs are this way. If they were on the same scale it would be 5252.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by modernfast
What is the rear wheel HP & TQ

See FAQ. I don't recall rwtq off hand.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

These are results that can be trusted. This cam would probably show 550 rwhp on a dyno jet.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:42 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This must be for a track only car, because if I can't pass emissions then Nevada will not register the car...........so much for the stage 3.................
Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
These are results that can be trusted. This cam would probably show 550 rwhp on a dyno jet.

Camshaft:Price: $500

Springs:Price: $256/set

Retainers:Price: $256/set

Integrity on claimed HP: Priceless!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
JDRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by vegasdude
This must be for a track only car, because if I can't pass emissions then Nevada will not register the car...........so much for the stage 3.................
As a fan of both Halltech and Katech, I am following the development of the Stage 3 package as well, and am wondering if we can get some certainty as to its ability to pass emissions, particularly in CA (since if it passes CA, it's probably OK everywhere).

I suspect that headers might present a problem with the visual inspection in CA, although I don't know for sure. On the other hand, given the relatively narrow LSA (especially compared to stock) of the Katech cam, I'm assuming that the greater intake/exhaust overlap of this cam is very responsive to well engineered headers (substantial scavenging opportunities). So I'm guessing that headers are a particularly important component of the power increase.

At the same time the valve overlap likely makes passing the performance portion of the emissions testing more difficult, if not impossible.

Jason, has anyone to your knowledge gotten emissions readings with this set up? As Vegasdude points out, many of us would probably make a decision based on whether we could get it through our state's emissions testing.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

They don't do a visual in Nevada as I am finding out from others who have experience here in Las Vegas. So headers aren't a problem from a visual standpoint. However, with the electronic emissions being sent straight to the state from the testing site, I either pass or fail. If I fail then my car won't be licensed which would render the car useless for me. I have a PM into Brian at GT Pro. He is supposed to install the stage 3 package on some of his customers cars so I am looking for his guidance..........I sent an email to Jim Hall as well..........

Last edited by vegasdude; 02-06-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

Camshaft:Price: $500

Springs:Price: $256/set

Retainers:Price: $256/set

Integrity on claimed HP: Priceless!
Won't pass emissions and your state won't license your vehicle: Screwed!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

I hope I'm not freaking out!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 AM
stingray427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasdude
I hope I'm not freaking out!
Well, maybe just a little. But disappointment is tough to deal with. I feel your pain!!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

My dealer is all set to cover me on warranty too.............well, perhaps there is a good answer out there...................
Old 02-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a LSA of 110 is pretty far from stock isn't it? A bit on the lump side?

I seriously doubt that any change in cam to a cam that provides any material (worthwhile) increase in power will pass CA emissions. In fact, I have long tube headers, high flow cats and tune and I suspect that will not pass CA sniffer emissions.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
For those of you who have headers and are looking for that next step, or maybe just getting started modifying your Z06 here is a cam that you can have confidence in.

First, this camshaft was developed by the same engineers that contribute to the factory GM race programs. It was validated on our Optron valvetrain dynamics test cell for superior valve control and durability. You can be confident that when installed in your vehicle, you have a margin of safety far beyond normal operating range.

Second, this camshaft has been around for almost a year now and has produced many satisfied customers. It may not be the highest peak horsepower producing camshaft on the market, but it's gobs of torque pin you to the seat and the comfortable drivabilty offers a great balance. After all, if you don't enjoy driving the car it doesn't matter how much horsepower you make.

Third, it's ease of installation. All you need is the cam, springs and titanium retainers and you have a proven package. We recommend using Kooks headers with this package and also typically use Corsa exhaust. Of course you'll need a chassis dyno or mail order tune. If you ship me your PCM we can do that, or you can purchase through Halltech's stage 3 package.

This camshaft has satisfied the horsepower needs of other tuners such as:
Halltech (soon to be released stage 3 package)
Breathless Performance
Extreme Motorsports
Guldstrand Motorsports

SPECS & PRICING:
Camshaft:
Duration @ .050 - 220/244
Lift - .615/.648
LSA - 110
ICL - 106 (installed straight up)
Price: $500

Springs:
Single beehive
65g
Install height: 1.850

Retainers:
Titanium
5.5g
Uses production locks and lash caps

Power (STP) Engine Dyno:
600hp 570lb-ft of torque

Sound clips:
http://www.katechengines.com/street_...e_packages.php

To order, call 866-Katech1. We can usually ship same day.

FAQ:
Will this void my warranty?
Depends on the specific failure circumstance and your dealer's willingness to work with you.

What kind of gas mileage will I get?
Near-stock gas mileage...if you can keep your foot out of it

Will this pass emissions?
Probably not.

Do you have anything that makes more power than this one?
This is our best street cam for power, torque and drivability. We have tested others, but you make sacrifices in torque and drivability.

How much rwhp will this make?
Depending on whose chassis dyno, we have seen 508-557rwhp

Can I run this without headers?
You could, but you would make less power. I don't know exactly how much because everyone we have done has had Kooks headers.

Do I need to modify the heads or port?
We have done some ported head combos for customers who use this cam and want every last bit of power possible, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Can you install the cam?
Yes, we do complete vehicles and any type of install you need right here at Katech.

I live far, can you recommend anybody else to install the cam?
One of our dealers could install the cam for you.
West Coast - Guldstrand Motorsports, Burbank CA
Southwest - Arizona Power and Sound, Tempe AZ
Southeast - Thunder Racing, Baton Rouge LA
East Coast - Breathless performance, NJ

Given the usual combination of street and weekend track racing (2 to 4 track sessions per year), what's the life cycle of your provided cam springs? In how many miles do you recommend changing them out? I put 16,000 to 20,000 miles per year on my Zs and don't need a yearly valve spring change on top of everything else.

Dave
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by JDRacing
As a fan of both Halltech and Katech, I am following the development of the Stage 3 package as well, and am wondering if we can get some certainty as to its ability to pass emissions, particularly in CA (since if it passes CA, it's probably OK everywhere).

I suspect that headers might present a problem with the visual inspection in CA, although I don't know for sure. On the other hand, given the relatively narrow LSA (especially compared to stock) of the Katech cam, I'm assuming that the greater intake/exhaust overlap of this cam is very responsive to well engineered headers (substantial scavenging opportunities). So I'm guessing that headers are a particularly important component of the power increase.

At the same time the valve overlap likely makes passing the performance portion of the emissions testing more difficult, if not impossible.

Jason, has anyone to your knowledge gotten emissions readings with this set up? As Vegasdude points out, many of us would probably make a decision based on whether we could get it through our state's emissions testing.

No, nobody has.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech Torquer LS7 camshaft information

Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Mako7
I think a LSA of 110 is pretty far from stock isn't it? A bit on the lump side?

I seriously doubt that any change in cam to a cam that provides any material (worthwhile) increase in power will pass CA emissions. In fact, I have long tube headers, high flow cats and tune and I suspect that will not pass CA sniffer emissions.
Stock LSA is 120. You can hear idle sound clips on the link I provided.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Undy
Given the usual combination of street and weekend track racing (2 to 4 track sessions per year), what's the life cycle of your provided cam springs? In how many miles do you recommend changing them out? I put 16,000 to 20,000 miles per year on my Zs and don't need a yearly valve spring change on top of everything else.

Dave

It really depends on how you drive the car and how much time you spend over 6000rpm. They could potentially last a very long time on a street car. There is no set mileage interval for changing the springs.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
It really depends on how you drive the car and how much time you spend over 6000rpm. They could potentially last a very long time on a street car. There is no set mileage interval for changing the springs.

If it was your daily driver and part-time race car, given your driving style, how would you deal with their replacement? I wouldn't want to wait till a single wired valve spring snaps and a valve drops to change them out. Unfortunatly a busted spring gives no warning.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech Torquer LS7 camshaft information