Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HPDE-Barber Motorsports Park (FYI)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 AM
alfordvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE-Barber Motorsports Park (FYI)

I went to a solo High Performance Driver Education event sponsored by the Alabama Porsche Club last Friday and Saturday (I did not stay for Sunday-went home instead to spend time with my family) at Barber Motorsports Park outside of Birmingham, AL. The owner or former owner of Barber's Dairy built the $70 million facility on about 400 acres of land. Mr. Barber is a motorcycle collector and the track was designed for motorcycle racing, but it is also used by cars--the Porsche Driving Experience uses this track. The facility is unbelievable and first class. The track (pavement) is as smooth as silk. There is also a vintage car and motorcycle museum on the grounds--again first class.

The members of the Alabama Porsche Club and the nonmember drivers of Porsches were great. In this regard, I had never been on or at this track before and several of the Porsche drivers volunteered to show me the proper line. Very, very helpful at this track. The event was well run and everyone was very friendly. The Porsche Cup cars were at the track to prepare for a club race being held at the track on Sunday--the Cup cars are amazing--super quick. I saw two other corvettes at the event--a C5 and a C5 Z06.

The track is difficult to say the least. As I said earlier, it was designed for motorcylce racing, therefore, the straights are not long enough to fully utilize the Z06's power (although I tried my best). In my run group, there were a several 996 turbos, a couple GT3s, several 996 Carrera Ss and Carreras, a Cayman S, Boxters, several older model Porsche 911s, a Ford GT and an older model Trans Am. Most of the drivers in my group had been to the track several times before and knew it well. In addition, almost everyone except me were running slicks--I was running stock everything but brake fluid (ATE Blue instead of whatever came in the car). The first day, I had a very difficult time keeping up with most of the others in my group. I could catch up with the other drivers in my group on the straights, but they would pull away in the turns--this is a track that requires slicks and experience, which I did not have. I discussed the problems I was having with several of the Porsche drivers and the Trans Am driver and they provided advice that proved to be very helpful. The second day, I was holding my own in the group. I developed a good feel for the track, however, I still did not feel I found the right line for the Z06. The first day, the G Meter showed .97 and .98s. The second day, the G Meter showed 1.05 to 1.1s.

The Porsche drivers loved the G Meter. They also loved the C6 Z06. Many of the drivers (and spectators) came by to look at my car and not one of them had anything bad to say about it. In fact, they were all complimentary about the car and the great job GM did to engineer and manufacture it, especially for the price. Interestly, one 996 Carrera S driver from Pensacola, FL said he seriously considered purchasing a C6 Z06, but when he went to the Chevrolet dealership, it would not allow him to take a test drive. The driver said he asked the salesperson if he seriously expected him to purchase a car without test driving it, and the salesperson said "yes". The driver said he shortly thereafter purchased the Porsche.

Did I like the track enough to go back? Put simply, no. Although the event was enjoyable (very well run) and I developed friendships with several of the Porsche drivers, the track was very difficult. If I had slicks instead of the GYs, I may have a slightly different opinion. Whether I had slicks or not, however, I would prefer to go to other tracks such as Carolina Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, VIR or Roebling Road for a weekend. This track required the driver to be on his or her game every second of every run--there was no forgiveness for mistakes at this track as demonstrated by several drivers in my group who likely wet there pants trying to perform 360s (thankfully, only minimal damage to vehicles). I enjoyed the experience, however.

FYI.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good deal. Glad you had a great time.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:50 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up... Barber is a very technical road course.

Many of us Z06'ers and high power Porsche drivers like the track. It forces you to use your whole "drivers tool box of techniques", with Barber's wide variety of corners. In fact, Grand Am has held races there... including the high power Grand Am Prototype cars... it makes for very challenging racing.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

with trumper.

ANYONE can go fast in a straight line, It takes real driver skill to go fast though corner after corner after corner.

For most ppl 4 to 5 time to the same track before your getting the hand of that tracks layout.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE-Barber Motorsports Park (FYI)

Quick Reply: [Z06] HPDE-Barber Motorsports Park (FYI)