Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Door Sill Plate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:20 AM
REDZ06PILOT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Sill Plate Removal

Need to verify proper removal of door sill plates, in order to install new door sill plates on Zo6.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by REDZ06PILOT
Need to verify proper removal of door sill plates, in order to install new door sill plates on Zo6.
Just get under an edge with your fingers or a flat bladed tool, then pull them off. They are just glued down. The you can used some adhesive remover to take off the residual glue. I used 3M adheasive remover, goo gone should work as well.

Last edited by Dicecal; 04-22-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
LarryW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try slipping some dental floss or fishing line beneath the plate and run it along the length to cut into the adhesive...

And as Dicecal suggested, use some adhesive remover such as Goof Off or Goo Gone for the remaining residue

Larry
Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 PM
BMcD-Z06
Racer

I just did this on Thursday. I used a heat gun to soften up the existing rubber sill plates. Then I used a stiff kitchen spatula to get under the edge at one end. Got a good grip on it and pulled the old ones off. Used Goo-Gone and some tar remover with some help from the spatula to get the residue off. Cleaned the sill with rubbing alcohol and laid the new ones down. Used a wallpaper seam roller to smooth any remaining bubbles. Even my wife liked the look of the new sill plates. I kept the gooey spatula behind my back.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Night Enforcer
Advanced

Heat gun hair blow dryer to soften the adhesive. Then Goo-Be-Gone along with a little bit of WD40. Peels of after that. Takes a little time to get it all off. Mine did not come off in one piece. The area cleans up nicely when you get them off.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Sill Plate Removal

Quick Reply: [Z06] Door Sill Plate Removal