Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] All wheel drive for zo6. Why not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:37 PM
jasone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All wheel drive for zo6. Why not?

Holy smokes, the hp wars are on! Soon talk of a 1000 stock zo6 will be common. At some point gm and others are going to have to realize that all of this power is useless on the street. My 2004 zo6 was difficult enough to keep grounded at 405hp.
Why doesn't gm focus on all wheel drive systems for corvettes. I realize it does add weight and is a bit more expensive. As this car gains more power with each new model year keeping it on the pavement will ultimately be the difference on the street. It's embarrassing getting waxed by an all wheel drive 6 cylinder knowing I have all this power and can't use it.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
captej
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-29-2007, 04:50 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

real hard to get awd in the present platform while keeping low hood line...

p.s.....you will never see 1000 hp stock from the factory....and what a waste it would be for the street....
Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone
Holy smokes, the hp wars are on! Soon talk of a 1000 stock zo6 will be common. At some point gm and others are going to have to realize that all of this power is useless on the street. My 2004 zo6 was difficult enough to keep grounded at 405hp.
Why doesn't gm focus on all wheel drive systems for corvettes. I realize it does add weight and is a bit more expensive. As this car gains more power with each new model year keeping it on the pavement will ultimately be the difference on the street. It's embarrassing getting waxed by an all wheel drive 6 cylinder knowing I have all this power and can't use it.
Then you need tires and suspension work.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
jasone
Intermediate

But then, but then, but then, on and on. No excuses, the other guys can do it, so can gm. I'm sure with all the available technollogy it can be done. If it needs new tires and suspension then do it. Surely in the next 5-10 years this can be done. The time and money spent on beefing up the engine could go towards better internals. At some point handling is going to have to keep up with the power. I think awd is the best way. I wonder what the car would look like, what do you think?

Last edited by jasone; 04-29-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 04-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default My my

But then, but then, but then, on and on. No excuses, the other guys can do it, so can gm. I'm sure with all the available technollogy it can be done. If it needs new tires and suspension then do it. Surely in the next 5-10 years this can be done. The time and money spent on beefing up the engine could go towards better internals. At some point handling is going to have to keep up with the power. I think awd is the best way. I wonder what the car would look like, what do you think?
Maybe mid engine too? My,my what a great concept.

G/L

R
Old 04-29-2007, 07:21 PM
'06LMB
Cruising

You mean you have yet to hear about the soon to be 4WD???
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do the fastest cars in the world have it?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWD would fundamentally alter the handling of the car. It'd no longer be a vette IMO.

"Improving" handling at the cost of the car's character is a waste of time.

Cars with no character should be reserved to the DD class. Accord, camry etc. Especially the camry, what a dull boring car. But it'll move people and thats what a lot of people want.

HP numbers wont go past 600 imo. There is just no need. There is more to a car than just HP.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Johnny Por'sha
Advanced

This was brought up a few months ago. The Vette is too iconic to have such a radical change in my opinion. If you're going to build a 600+ HP monster (and who doesn't want that?) they should really look at new platforms and simply make a NEW model. The Chevy Slingshot 2000, or whatever, make it a proper mid-engine car and then you can go with or without the AWD option. GM's conservatism is what's costing them market share (not to mention the monster pension costs) and they need to start experimenting and finding those types of market niches, if they ever expect to recover #1...
Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
do the fastest cars in the world have it?
Yes indeed----V E Y R O N!
Old 04-29-2007, 08:43 PM
jasone
Intermediate

I was the one who brought brought up this topic a while back. I agree they should build an awd sportscar with the ls7, 8 , or whatever.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Just because you can't use the power does not mean other cannot. Many have modified their C6Z to gain more HP. Mine is in the 570-580 RWTorque range and I am the one that must hook it up. It is a learned skill. The last thing I want is AWD to slow the car down above 160 MPH!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I like my Z06 as it is. AWD would be OK but not on a Vette.
If they make such an animal make a new model.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Make it a JEEP. 4wd for a corvette is a joke right???
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

I also brought this topic up awhile back. I am in the small percentage of people tha agree with you. an AWD vette would be much more attractive to me.

I think that 2WD is an old train of thought. Being narrow minded is not the way to be in an evolving world.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ramsundaram
HP numbers wont go past 600 imo. There is just no need. There is more to a car than just HP.
Too Late. Have you heard of the SS Corvette/ Blue Devil, or the new Viper, or many other exotics, or the Bugatti Veyron, or.....

Get notified of new replies

To All wheel drive for zo6. Why not?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't help being narrow minded on this. Make a new model or maybe
even an option for the AWD. I want my rear drive Vette. I've learned
on the forum no matter what the topic if I say yes someone else will
say no or if I say no someone else will say yes. I guess that's what
makes the world go round.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Future and speculation discussions are kept in this section.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:03 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

AWD in the present platform would be very hard to do, there just isn't any room. If the C7 goes rear mid-engine then it will be much easier to do.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] All wheel drive for zo6. Why not?