Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Porsche CGT Vs. Corvette Z06 experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Congaman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche CGT Vs. Corvette Z06 experience

Yesterday I probably got the best experience of my life.

A friend of mine had his Basalt black Porsche CGT delivered so we went to collect the car. My friend is a huge car enthusiast and also a little crazy. So I knew I would get a h*ll of a ride!

After the keys had been handed over my friend suggested that we would take her out for a run. I noded yes and he cranked up the engine. The sound coming out of the exhausts was pure Formula 1, pure racing.

We took off under full throttle. We soon noticed that 612 Hp (DIN) combined with only 1350 kg made the car quite scary to drive when the tires was still cold. The rear broke free every time the gear was shifted and the car went sideways just as much as straight.

The sound from the screaming V10 just behind your head was intoxicating and after a while - as the tires got warmer - the CGT behaved like a Go cart as it took the turns with no hesitation at all. And the seats are perfect and holds you tight in the turns. The power in combination with the low weight makes the CGT go from 0-100 km/h in 3,9 seconds but - more importantly - 0-200 km/h in 9,9 seconds......Fantastic!

The ride is firm but not as jumpy as the Z06 on Swedish roads damaged by hard winters. I must say that the CGT feels to be as close to perfection as you could ever come in a sportscar.

Ohhh, and did I say that the CGT is perfect for doing donuts.....I told you that my friend is kind of crazy!!

Later I'll post some pictures from my ride in the CGT....it was a great experience and also good to know that this car ended up in the hands of a true car enthusiast!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

WOW!
Now tell me about its acceleration???

BTW if you had a drive. compare it with Z06

Comfort
interior quality
acceleration
corner enters
Revs
Steering responce

Will you have any chances vs CGT 50-250?
As you know SLR is faster that CGT

Now you can understand why it costs so much
No scratches of body,cheap plastic, poor steering feel responce,instant throttle responce....
Its like to compare dick and finger....

Last edited by Yaroslav; 06-04-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
WOW!

Comfort
interior quality
acceleration
corner enters
Revs
Steering responce

No scratches of body,cheap plastic, poor steering feel responce,instant throttle responce....
SLR is not faster than Carrera GT. SLR is way too heavy.
All the tests came better for CGT: 1/4 mile, Nurburgring, Hockenheim, Top Gear, all...
Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
WOW!

Comfort
interior quality
acceleration
corner enters
Revs
Steering responce

Nope....I have to disagree with you on this one. As TeddyFreddy already said the CGT is faster than the SLR. Also the SLR is crippled in high speeds by its 5 gear automatic.

Now to the comparison:

Speed/acceleration:

The Z06 is scary fast. But the CGT is even faster and under full throttle it feels like you are riding in a comet on acid!!

Interior:

Well, much better on the CGT. Not unexpected though considering the huge price gap. I especialy liked the seats.

Steering response/corner entering:

Much more sensitive than on the Z06. The CGT feels and handles like a go cart as soon as the tires are warm. With cold tires....be on your guard as you can loose the rear faster than you'd expect!!

Chanses from 50-250 km/h:

Well after next weekend we will know for sure as the CGT owner is coming to the M5Board event. My guess is that the chanses for the Z06are small. The CGT has 100 hp more than the Z06 and less weight. So do the maths and I think you can see who will be the winner in this race!! Especialy as we are running for an full mile this time.....many cars - including the Z06 and the CGT would therefor be able to hit +300 km/h and I will have to shift into 5th gear.....that will not give me any benefits in a race against the CGT.

Still: If it was my money I would still probably choose the Z06....the price for the CGT would be hard to justify......Or as von Sauma said in the last issu of SportAuto: European sportscar makers should feel ashemed for their over priced cars!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Sounds like a blast. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Z06 barely lighter than the CGT? I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the pleasure to drive a CGT for a short spin a couple years ago. I didnt have the Z06 to compare it to, but I would have to say it is without a doubt the most incredible car I have ever driven. The exhaust note alone is worth the $460k price!!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Sounds like a blast. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Z06 barely lighter than the CGT? I thought I read that somewhere.
Forbes: 2005 Porsche CGT weighs 3043 lbs.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the pleasure of riding with a friend at Sebring in a new Z with Coilovers. And there was a CGT on the course with us, Now I must tell you that I don't know the driver ability of the CGT driver, but he was hauling pretty good and we were able to stay with him and eventually get a point by. I do agree the sound of the CGT is awsome going thru the gears. I,m not saying the Z is a faster car but for 460K compared to 80K the Z can hold it's own with a few upgrades. It was a fun ride. we were turning Sebring in the 2:26-9 range. JD (Note:this is not a comparison of the two cars just a interesting side note)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
SLR is not faster than Carrera GT. SLR is way too heavy.
All the tests came better for CGT: 1/4 mile, Nurburgring, Hockenheim, Top Gear, all...
SLR tune+pulley vs LPE Z06 616hp
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O_lWKEG6LiM

SLR vs CGT
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5nHqUnI9pNI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mdDKT6B_adY
Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
black97magic
Racer

Congaman,

AWESOME!!! The CGT is my FAVORITE exotic. The sound is incredible.

If your friend is as crazy as you say he is, tell him to check out AWE tuning and there STRAIGHT exhaust pipes. Yes, they get rid of the mufflers and have straight pipes on the CGT. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for videos!

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...IL=CGT_exhaust

P.s. Good-luck with the races next weekend! Were you able to find any other Vettes for the race?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 878 Likes on 448 Posts

congrats congaman, i look forward to see ur races, any goals uve got set or any cars in particular u wanna beat at the event? also when can i look out for those vids over at M5? could you notify us?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The CGT has a MUCH better (sounding) Bose stereo system than the Z06. The CGT is lighter by about 75lbs. In the right hands, the CGT is amazingly well balanced.

Here's some video I captured:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...b7003d9444.htm

I agree that it's difficult to justify that I could buy seven Z06's for 1 CGT.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Car and Driver put both cars on a scale. The Z06 came in at 3,181 lbs. but the CGT was 35 lbs. lighter at 3, 146 lbs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...-gt-page2.html

Note the structural design reasons for them being so close in weight.

That said, as I have said more than once on this board, the CGT remains to me the ultimate sports car. Landmark design, Ring time, engine note, interior...the only thing it is missing is actual competition history and even that's not really its fault. Phenomenal stuff.

The Z06 will give what for in a straight line and from a roll will really be in its element but, given GM's relatively conservative fuel economy gearing, should not win a rolling mile run. Unless you've brought a Veyron to the fight the CGT will likely kill any stock car on contact.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by black97magic
Congaman,

AWESOME!!! The CGT is my FAVORITE exotic. The sound is incredible.

If your friend is as crazy as you say he is, tell him to check out AWE tuning and there STRAIGHT exhaust pipes. Yes, they get rid of the mufflers and have straight pipes on the CGT. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for videos!

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...IL=CGT_exhaust

P.s. Good-luck with the races next weekend! Were you able to find any other Vettes for the race?
Wow.....I'll forward the link to my friend!!

Here is a picture of the CGT....the guy smiling inside the car is me!!

About next week end: I'll report back to you all as soon as possible.....there will be some very interesting races this year....and I'm sure there are some cars that will kick my b*tt.....but I don't care much....I still love my Z06!!
Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Carrera GT vs C6 Z06...its nice how well the Z holds it own, but man that GT sounds sooo good

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4LhRT_Mn5o
Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best CGT video on the net

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-PD9Z8DYqI0
Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the amazing videos, that was my study break for the night