Z06 Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts - Page 11 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts

Old 06-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #201
KILR-RYD
CF Senior Member

Can we get gustav to clear few things with the SLR driver please:

Was the SLR guy running in sport mode, did he have traction control off? These things would make an enourmous difference in the results..I know the Z06 is super quick, but these SLRs if driven right are monsters, so was wondering if this can be clarified.

Thanks
KILR-RYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #202
robz
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisC5 View Post
I have heard MN6 gearing mentioned in this thread and how it is not suited to top speeds in the ZO6. A company named G Force makes 5th & 6th gear ratios designed to address this issue. Factory ratios are 5th/.74 and 6th/.50. One G Force gear option is 5th/.80 and 6th/.70 which will help someone looking at improving high speed performance. IMHO, this mod would unleash some top speed potential and remove the handicap of factory gearing for owners that wish to explore the 200 mph+ range. I have not seen any C6 ZO6 posts on Corvette Forum with this mod and I wonder have any of you researched this?
Just a thought. I've done this before. I'm not sure I would swap my tranny out as a core even if it was to get a gforce tranny unless you guys are hardcore drag racers. You have a brand new trans and you will be getting back... well who knows.

I'm NOT SURE if this would be possible(as far as fit) BUT If your gonna do something like this you should have an experienced tranny guy open your tranny and install the 5th and 6th gear with new ratios and give you your stock parts. If this simple swap is not possible without rebuilding the whole tranny then I would be reluctant to having this done. Too much $ and problems can occur for the occasional high speed sprint.
Maybe a consideration if you need a tranny rebuid anyway. Just my .02

Last edited by robz; 06-21-2007 at 08:24 AM.
robz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #203
NemesisC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post
Just a thought. I've done this before. I'm not sure I would swap my tranny out as a core even if it was to get a gforce tranny unless you guys are hardcore drag racers. You have a brand new trans and you will be getting back... well who knows.

I'm NOT SURE if this would be possible(as far as fit) BUT If your gonna do something like this you should have an experienced tranny guy open your tranny and install the 5th and 6th gear with new ratios and give you your stock parts. If this simple swap is not possible without rebuilding the whole tranny then I would be reluctant to having this done. Too much $ and problems can occur for the occasional high speed sprint.
Maybe a consideration if you need a tranny rebuid anyway. Just my .02

The swap is possible without a rebuild and the option is also there to send in your stock tranny and have the gears installed plus any other stronger than OEM parts as well. The gears themselves cost $690 for the set
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #204
HNK
CF Senior Member

Default More is needed

I really dont think going from .74 to .8 is going to do much. what is needed is probably a .82 for 5th and something like .76 for 6th. That should keep it accelerating nicely and get u close to 6500 RPMs in 6th for more top speed. Bring that 6th into play is necessary to give the Z a usual gearbox which will keep it ahead of the exotic pack.
HNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #205
NemesisC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a link to a website with a "Top Speed Calculator" by gear. FYI, your factory ratios for MN6:

1st....2.66
2nd...1.78
3rd....1.30
4th....1.00
5th....0.74
6th....0.50

FWIW, using the factory gearing 1st-4th and installing the G-Force set of 0.80/5th and 0.70/6th gives a top speed of 215 mph at 6500 rpm.

Just plug in your numbers

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #206
ace67
CF Senior Member

Lol a little late to wake up now :-).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech View Post
Did you send ME and email and I didn't answer you? If so, please PM or call me or re-send the email.

Trust me, we're listening.
ace67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:06 AM   #207
difflvl
CF Senior Member

Nice Job Congaman!

I'd ignore all the stuff about the mis shift, it seems like its being blown out of proportion. 1 miss shift is not a big deal.
difflvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #208
Yaroslav
CF Senior Member

Your six-speed manual transmission has a feature
that allows you to safely shift into REVERSE (R)
while the vehicle is rolling at less than 3 mph
(5 km/h). You will be locked out if you try to shift
into REVERSE (R) while your vehicle is moving
faster than 3 mph (5 km/h).
Yaroslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #209
Gustav

I dont know that but I can ask. I am sure think so, anything else would be very strange

The SLR lost to the Carrera GT but the SLR FLEW at over 250 km/h and if the stretch would have been longer it would have overtaken the CGT, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILR-RYD View Post
Can we get gustav to clear few things with the SLR driver please:

Was the SLR guy running in sport mode, did he have traction control off? These things would make an enourmous difference in the results..I know the Z06 is super quick, but these SLRs if driven right are monsters, so was wondering if this can be clarified.

Thanks
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 AM   #210
Gustav

DVD from the first shootout from September 2006 is now on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gtboard-com-Ev...8201076&sr=8-1
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #211
Congaman
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisC5 View Post
I was quoted last week by RPM transmissions(Supporting Vendor) on their Level V setup with "Cryo Treated and Micro Polished" heavy duty internals with the G Force gears for about $2900(with exchange of your transmission). Labor to R&R would be about an additional $250-500 depending on who does the install. This is something I plan on doing late summer/early fall along with other drivetrain upgrades
Very interesting. Please post all info as soon as you hade this done.

I know that Yaroslav is alos getting help from RPM to rebuild the gearbox for his new superduper Z06.
Congaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • [Z06] Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts
  •