Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Gustav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only Bluray so far. Dont you like Sony PS3 are cheap Bluray players.

Originally Posted by GaryZ06
Very cool....What about HD DVD?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:47 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gustav
Only Bluray so far. Dont you like Sony PS3 are cheap Bluray players.
HD DVD machines are less than half the price of BR....I don't play video games.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Gustav
Intermediate

HD WMV for you, a bit short however

http://m5board.com/temp/DVDpreview.wmv

Congaman here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...t=81321&page=4
Old 06-10-2007, 08:15 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

You weren't kidding about a bit short The quality looks excellent
Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Congaman
Pro

Yeah.......the video will be nice....But I never understood why you don't post longer and edited teasers,,,,,,,would boost interest for sure....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Congaman
Yeah.......the video will be nice....But I never understood why you don't post longer and edited teasers,,,,,,,would boost interest for sure....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Gustav
Intermediate

You mean i nhigh.res?

Band with issues. The files are huge in high res

Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartley
Looks like a great time, sure wish there was something like that in CA.
Not exactly the same thing, but check out this event held in Texas on an abanded air field

http://www.texasmile.com/
Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Thanks for the info gustav, I get it now. Its a suped up M6. Do they remove any of the weight at all?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Gustav
Intermediate

It was completely standard except engine. And the day befor eit want on a 2500 km roadtrip from mid-Germany to deep into Sweden. We're talking full leather and navigation here

Originally Posted by bondmid003
Thanks for the info gustav, I get it now. Its a suped up M6. Do they remove any of the weight at all?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Congaman, how fast did you race the modded M6 to? 170 mph?

Heck, if it didn't catch you by then, I think you gave it more than enough of a chance to catch up. Bottom line is that it seems that up to 160 mph, the Z06 was not beatable by an SLR or the M6, which is damn impressive if you ask me..
Old 06-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I read a post that said after 2mph in any forward gear reverse was locked out?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Zlicious
Congaman, how fast did you race the modded M6 to? 170 mph?

Heck, if it didn't catch you by then, I think you gave it more than enough of a chance to catch up. Bottom line is that it seems that up to 160 mph, the Z06 was not beatable by an SLR or the M6, which is damn impressive if you ask me..

According to my HUD we raced until around 180 Mph....that tuned M6 is a beast....don't underestimate it in any way.....and as Gustav said....it comes with full leather and navigation....In higher speeds I know that the Kellners M6, the SLR and the CGT would beat me....oooh and the 996 RUF for sure...but then again....only the tune for the RUF had costed € 80.000 ($ 106.700)....that is the same as the price of a new Z06 here in Europe....

Luweegy: I thought I read a post that said after 2mph in any forward gear reverse was locked out?
Sure the reverse is locked out....I didn't go into reverse....if I had the gearbox would probably explode....I just missed 5th and hit the position för reverse........

Last edited by Congaman; 06-11-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:46 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too would like to thank Congaman for a good post.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, But tell me please, what the heck is going on in Europe with all the owners of these beautiful cars who can't drive???? How do you miss shifts? I thought everybody here was a car "enthusiast"? Those of us who track our cars probably make that 4th to 5th shift at least once on every lap on many different tracks. 4th to 5th is the same as 2nd to 3rd. No big deal. We have a huge tach, front and center as well as a heads up display but yet people are hitting rev limiters and or shortshifting? What are they doing there? Reverse is still a full shift gate farther to the right with a heavy spring load against it. I remember Congaman's post from last year. Same issues. And I know it's not the Corvette shifter because it seems others are having this problem too. I can powershift a Peterbilt truck with 99% accuracy. I never realized that shifting was such a "lost art". It sounds like there should be schools that teach shifting first, instead of how to drive on the track. I think I may have to start one.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by robvuk
I too would like to thank Congaman for a good post.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, But tell me please, what the heck is going on in Europe with all the owners of these beautiful cars who can't drive???? How do you miss shifts? I thought everybody here was a car "enthusiast"? Those of us who track our cars probably make that 4th to 5th shift at least once on every lap on many different tracks. 4th to 5th is the same as 2nd to 3rd. No big deal. We have a huge tach, front and center as well as a heads up display but yet people are hitting rev limiters and or shortshifting? What are they doing there? Reverse is still a full shift gate farther to the right with a heavy spring load against it. I remember Congaman's post from last year. Same issues. And I know it's not the Corvette shifter because it seems others are having this problem too. I can powershift a Peterbilt truck with 99% accuracy. I never realized that shifting was such a "lost art". It sounds like there should be schools that teach shifting first, instead of how to drive on the track. I think I may have to start one.

No flaming from me....I'm just glad that you never are doing any mistakes in a race.....I'm not a hard core drag racer.....when I race it's on the track.....these M5Board events once a year is the only exception....so I'm very unexperienced....that might explain the misshifts from my side.....Last year I didn't do any misshifts so I realy don't know what you are talking about here.....what I did wrong last year was that I started in 2nd gear (from roling start) as I thought this would help me avoiding wheel spin....it was a bad decision but I still managed to win all my races last year.....not so this year.....also the competition was a lot tougher this year, which made all the races very tight.....so no room for any misstake at all.......so what could you expect from an unexperienced driver like me? I would love to see more experienced Z06 drivers in these events.....but when it happens they are not there so I have to do what I can to deffend the colors of Corvette.....I'm far from the best for this job....but so far I'm the only one....

In stead of being angry about how bad drivers we are over here....why don't you put together your own event and show as all how it should be done!...Just a thought.......

Ohhh.......and let me add......when I drive on a racing track like the Nurburg ring.....I don't misshift either.....not realy the same thing as in these races arranged by M5Board....So in a way you are comparing apples to pears......or what ever it is called......

Last edited by Congaman; 06-11-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

According to my HUD we raced until around 180 Mph....that tuned M6 is a beast....don't underestimate it in any way.....and as Gustav said....it comes with full leather and navigation....In higher speeds I know that the Kellners M6, the SLR and the CGT would beat me....oooh and the 996 RUF for sure...but then again....only the tune for the RUF had costed € 80.000 ($ 106.700)....that is the same as the price of a new Z06 here in Europe....

Sure the reverse is locked out....I didn't go into reverse....if I had the gearbox would probably explode....I just missed 5th and hit the position för reverse........
So you beat the M6 up to 180 yet you say it would beat you at high speeds? LOL, give youself some credit man. If a car can't beat you by 180, that is the other cars problem, not yours, lol. I think that is more than plenty time you gave the other car to try and catch you. Here in the states, if you can get away with a race past 140 you are lucky.

Good job on all the kills. I would love to have seen the look on the SLR when you were ahead at 160 mph..
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 AM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

What a great time yu must have had. Thanks for the report.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts

Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No flaming from me....
I really didn't mean for it to sound like it was all directed toward you. I was generalizing about all the threads posted here about missed shifts as well as the others in your event and in the past. On the other hand, being in the wrong gear is as bad or worse than missing a shift. You've had the car for well over a year now, I would think shifting should be like second nature to you by now. In the end, it doesn't really matter because you did us all proud. I'd be happy to give you some shifting pointers some time when it isn't so geographically undesirable. As others have said above, practicing your fast shifting doesn't have to be at redline all the time. Practice hitting 5k every time. Practice keeping one eye on the tach. Then when you get the chance, practice knowing the shift point by the sound, so that you don't even look at the tach until just a moment before redline.

When I started out dragracing in the muscle car era, we had shifters with 12 inch throws that were made from heavy duty truck parts. We learned to shift those without error. It makes me laugh when people say how clumsy the Corvette shifters are.

Last edited by robvuk; 06-11-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by robvuk
I really didn't mean for it to sound like it was all directed toward you. I was generalizing about all the threads posted here about missed shifts as well as the others in your event and in the past. On the other hand, being in the wrong gear is as bad or worse than missing a shift. You've had the car for well over a year now, I would think shifting should be like second nature to you by now. In the end, it doesn't really matter because you did us all proud. I'd be happy to give you some shifting pointers some time when it isn't so geographically undesirable. As others have said above, practicing your fast shifting doesn't have to be at redline all the time. Practice hitting 5k every time. Practice keeping one eye on the tach. Then when you get the chance, practice knowing the shift point by the sound, so that you don't even look at the tach until just a moment before redline.
Sounds like good advices.....for any future drag racing event.....if any......don't think I'll be there next year though.....I just hope someone else will take over the flag.....'cause the Z06 deserves to be represented among all the European exotics.......
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Gustav
Intermediate

Yo ushould come

Sounds like good advices.....for any future drag racing event.....if any......don't think I'll be there next year though.....I just hope someone else will take over the flag.....'cause the Z06 deserves to be represented among all the European exotics.......

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts