Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Congaman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007Z06VIC/RED
ive had my z06 top out at 162 mph at 6800 rpm in 4th gear and still had more to go
162 Mph= 260 km/h....and yes you still have a little mor perhaps.,, but realy not much,

Last edited by Congaman; 06-09-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:48 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Awesome post!!

It sounds like the Z did very well - certainly Jim's tune/intake helped a little bit.

How did the R8 do? I imagine it might have been a bit overpowered.

Can't wait for the vids

Chris
Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 PM
VINZVET
Instructor

Wow !!! thanks for posting this congaman, awesome cars...

V..
Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

Here we go!
http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html
Old 06-09-2007, 08:28 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Awesome!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Gibbo_UK
Intermediate

Hi there

When I test drove a Z06 today I was alarmed that Reverse and 5th were so close.

So what happens when you miss 5th and hit reverse does it actually let it in or does it prevent you from getting it in and destroying the gear box?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=C6+Z06
More pics, congaman!!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, in other words, the C6 Z06 with an intake and tune was pretty much unbeatable when it was matched against a CGT, SLR, GT2, and a Modded M6 up to 160 mph.

Do I have that right?? And if I do, maybe I be the first to say that WE HAVE A CAR THAT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You did good, real good. I told you not to worry about the other cars. The Z06 does not need much help when the power is unleashed.

My estimate is that the RWHP is 487 to 489 with the Killer Bee AAIS Package.

Turbos are hard to beat at speed, but down low, they just smoke em up!

Congrats on an outstanding day at the airport.

Yes, I did bump the Rev limiter to 7300 RPM, remembering your 206 mph run last year. Thought maybe you might want to put that record to bed as well.

So, want didn't you beat?

Jim Hall
Halltech
www.HalltechSystems.com
www.CorvetteLS7.com
jim@CorvetteLS7.com

Last edited by Halltech; 06-10-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I am coming over for next years event. It just looks like amazing experience!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I waited for this post to load as I am out of town on a crappy laptop with barely any cell service.......Well worth the wait!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 AM
mcm
Racer

Someone needs to represent with a U.S. tuner package... TT Z06 FTW.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:19 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by mcm

Well....I asked for a LPE or Katech Z06 on this forum.....I sent e-mails to Lingenfelter and some other of the big tuners.....didn't even get an answer....exception was Jim Halltecch who really did a good job by delivering the KB and tune on very short notice just so I would be able to get this set up in time for the race......Jim is a true enthusiast....don't know about the others....

I'd say that the American companies haven't yet understood the impact of these races and the Internet....

Other way around with the European companies.....I'll give you some examples......

Two RUF Porsches participated during the race yesterday......during the day Aloise Ruf himself called just to get information on how "his" cars did....This is the owner of probably the most prestigious Porsche tuner in the world!!

Also.....the R8 was driven to the race by the Audi sales manager in Stockholm.....he had orders from HQ not to race the car against anything but a stock regular Porsche....Why?...'cause Audi knew that their brand couldn't take the bad will coming from videos showing how their most prestigious car got it's b*tt kicked over and over and over and over again.....

I hope this will be a wake up call for the American tuner companies....American car makers are having problems right now....but the Z06 deserves and is getting more and more respect over here in Europe....even among the most hard core euro sports car lovers....so why not take the chance for some cheap but still really efficient commercials for your products,,,thus finding new markets???? I hope to see y'all next year Lingenfelter, Katech and who ever......

Last edited by Congaman; 06-10-2007 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Great job, Congaman!

Enjoyed the report and the pictures.

(1) Is there an official results list giving the times and speeds of each car? Do they average all the runs or take the best one?

(2) What type of timing equipment is used?

(3) Did that concrete surface have a texture for rainy weather traction by aircraft?

(4) What is the rule regarding a passenger?

(5) What tire pressure did you run?

Regarding the 4-5 shift, that one take practice, practice, practice. The bright side of that is it signals a path to improve for next year.

Awaiting the videos.

Again, congratulations on the fine results.

Ranger
Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 AM
thee Dragon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gibbo_UK
Hi there

When I test drove a Z06 today I was alarmed that Reverse and 5th were so close.

So what happens when you miss 5th and hit reverse does it actually let it in or does it prevent you from getting it in and destroying the gear box?
There should be a reverse-gear-lockout that prevents this from happening above certain speeds/rpm's/throttle positions.

Definitely gotta practice that 4-5 shift; both at a stop AND at speed.

You don't have to go to your shift point to effectively practice this gear shift. Short shift 4th at 5500 rpm's or somewhere in the neighborhood.

Don't try to do it quick-as-**** the first few attempts. Do a purposely slow shift your first half dozen times or so until you are familiar with the shifter travel and angle in those gears.

You'll be surprised how easy it becomes with a little basic practice. I've made those 4-5 WOT shifts at 6800 rpm's in a T-56 literally DOZENS of times; it's a satisfying feeling when you get it down to a science
Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcm
I think he used the perfect package to unleash the power. It proved that minor tweaks (although Jim did serious engineering to get it perfect) to the Z06 and you will be able to beat up on the big boys. I am more impressed with these results with Jim's package than i would have been with like a tuner TT package. Congamans car is practically stock for all intensive purposes and can be viewed as such. With a TT, everyone would have been like "we expected you to win".
Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thee Dragon, Absolutely no need to have the motor running, when doing shifting practice, much less running 150-160 mph to practice the 4-5 shift.

Warm up the engine and drive line. Park the car. Shut down the motor and then do the Drills to Improve Your Shifting

1-2, 2-3, 3-4. Add the 4-5. repeat. Sets of five reps. Two sets per session. Two sessions per day. Every day. Simple. Safe. No wear-and-tear on the car. No traffic citations.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 06-10-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts

Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

The most important thing about shifting is not to force it ....just slightly guide it....it will almost guide itself....also seating and hand position are vital
Old 06-10-2007, 11:08 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryZ06
The most important thing about shifting is not to force it ....just slightly guide it....it will almost guide itself....also seating and hand position are vital
Great showing Mr. Congaman.

I agree with the other guys above, a little more practice in the shifting dept. will help greatly.

FYI, we have our share of supercar challenges here in Texas as well, some of the races are legal and many are illegal (if know what I mean). I will agree with you and with other members who stated that Z does not need much to “keep up” or to “beat” the super exotic cars.

Many of the tuned and tweaked exotics we have faced down here CAN'T touch a Z with bolt-ons and tune. Typically, when the states are high (super modded exotic vs the Z), my friend called hidden blue bottle deposes all would be big dollar super exotic challengers...in seconds. Those would be big dollars exotic with all those fancy turbos and so on become blur in the rear view mirror.

I am willing to bet that many of the super tuned/tweaked Z's on this forum would kill many if not all of the challengers you faced this year and last year. My question is, how would the crowd there feel about an apples to apples heads up race: modded exotics vs modded Z's? Many of the exotic car owners (modded or not) are very cool, but some are very cocky and do not like losing to American cars.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Hey Carlos I say we start collecting money so we can fly you and your car over there next time to slay them

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts