Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A modification to your Nav system you might like

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TicketBait
Allan, I would think you would want that on your HUD so you don't take your eyes from where your racing
Come to think of it . . .
Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Toonz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

Looks like something to do when I get home in Dec. Not sure where I'm gonna put the switch though, the "Man Switch" is right there and I don't think a 2nd one would look as clean. I'm sure I'll find a spot though. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:02 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kawal
And yes, I remember your switch and thought it looked great! (There's room for two switches, by the way.)

Ray
how bout three

by the way what are you gonna call your switch Ray ? ......Man Switch is already taken

Old 06-16-2007, 11:18 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Many of us C6 owners who bought the navigation system have been frustrated by the inability to enter destinations while you are driving. If you have a passenger, certainly it is safe to let him or her enter destinations while you watch the road. But whoever designed the nav system apparently didn't use it much and see what a PIA it is to have to stop your car just to enter a new destination or change your route!
I think "they" certainly do know what a PIA it is. It's a safety issue. Well, maybe more of a legal issue. Even if it were enabled when a passenger was detected, you can imagine the lawsuits.

After studying the Corvette C6 service manual, I found a pretty simple solution that costs about three hours of your time and $3 for a switch from Radio Shack. The photo below shows the result.
I just pull the parking brake one click.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:28 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A 2000 mile trip with the nav mod

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip and this modification really is nice! Being able to enter destinations and choosing points of interest like hotels and restaurants while you are driving is really convenient.

But there is one issue I should mention in case other owners decide to make this mod. Once you flip the switch, which allows you to enter all of your information, there is a limited time (which is usually sufficient) you have before the nav system resets itself and starts tracking via the GPS. When this happens, you lose the input buttons. In order to get them back, you must flip the switch back to "normal" and wait a few seconds for the nav to reset itself and the information screen blinks. Then you flip the switch and continue entering your data. You don't lose your place when this happens, so it's no big deal. But if you dilly-dally too long, you might have to flip the switch more than once. This might happen, for example, if you are waiting for a complete "list" of some points of interest. You get used to it quickly.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:43 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default The Nav mod in an automatic with F55 suspension

My buddy with an LT3 coupe and Selective Ride Control wanted the Nav mod, so we completed it today.

Here is a link to more photos:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

Last edited by kawal; 06-23-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a link to more photos:

Great documented post!

Nice job!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 PM
FO0GM
6th Gear

Default Nav Mod

What happens to the "Agree" screen with this mod?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by FO0GM
What happens to the "Agree" screen with this mod?
While probably like you, I would like that screen to disappear, but this mod does nothing to that screen - it is part of the built in Nav software.

What this mod does is temporarily disconnect the vehicle speed sensor signal (via the switch). When that occurs, the Nav unit is tricked into thinking the vehicle has stopped (no speed signal), thereby enabling the normal menus that are available only when the vehicle has stopped.

When the switch is in the new "nav" position (the white dot in my photographs is the "normal" position), all menus are available no matter what the vehicle's true speed is. This allows you to enter any destination information like addresses, points of interest, and map points while you are driving.

It is really handy IF you have a passenger who can enter all of the data and find points of interest like restaurants, hotels, and whatever else you want. Or you can change routes - any function that the nav can do while you are stopped.

You still have to "agree" to the startup screen.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:31 AM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

Old 06-24-2007, 09:07 AM
MKV
Racer

Sweet, thanks for the great write up.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:28 AM
teds427
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

I love your idea, the nav is a pain in the A. We need to trace the routing of the speed senser wire, maybe the switch connection can be done under the hood. Im lazy!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:24 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by teds427
I love your idea, the nav is a pain in the A. We need to trace the routing of the speed senser wire, maybe the switch connection can be done under the hood. Im lazy!
Remember that you must cut the wire that goes directly to the nav unit. And since that wire is right in back of the unit itself, the wire to the switch is only a couple of feet long. To get the wire to the switch location (assuming you want it in the same place), you must remove the console trim panel anyway - which is 90 percent of this install. Even if you found the wire in the engine compartment, you must then get the switch wire to the location of your choice - which would mean coming through the firewall - a lot more difficult.

I would be happy to give any owner tips on how to do this if they want to PM me or email me. My buddy just drove his over to my place and we did the whole install in about an hour. It took me about 3 hours on mine, because I had to do some experimenting for the first time, but once you know each step, it's really quite easy.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Anyone have a source so I can purchase a "state of the art" button. Looking for the wow, yet discreet factor if possible. Any ideas? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apparently, some guy got his at radio shack.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe this one?

http://www.coastaletech.com/AMAZING_GM_LOCKPICKS.htm

Originally Posted by 805Z06
Yes, something simillar is available. There is a company that will take your nav, modify it, so you can connect a dvd player, video game system, watch local tv, connect up to 3 or more cameras and lot's more... I have their website somewhere...need to look for it...but it will be one of my future mods..

Get notified of new replies

To A modification to your Nav system you might like

Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, thank you!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

I can't believe the stuff I learn here.........you should work for GM.......
Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Updated after installing a new 2008 console

I just installed a new 2008 console in my Z06. Since the new console doesn't have the F55 switch plate, I decided to install a new "Nav" switch in the location of the cigarette lighter. This might work for other non-smokers who don't need the lighter.

I have to flip open the ash tray door to use the switch, but it's pretty easy. For details on the switch, see the link below:

Quick Reply: [Z06] A modification to your Nav system you might like