Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A modification to your Nav system you might like

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:40 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A modification to your Nav system you might like (updated)

(I've just updated this thread on 11/8/09 - see Post #114 - to include a couple of new adapter harnesses and other alternatives that allows this modification without cutting into the factory wiring harness. Also more closeup photos to help those you who haven't removed their console before.)

Many of us C6 owners who bought the navigation system have been frustrated by the inability to enter destinations while you are driving. If you have a passenger, certainly it is safe to let him or her enter destinations while you watch the road. But whoever designed the nav system apparently didn't use it much and see what a PIA it is to have to stop your car just to enter a new destination or change your route!

After studying the Corvette C6 service manual, I found a pretty simple solution that costs about three hours of your time and $3 for a switch from Radio Shack. The photo below shows the result.

Flip the switch and your Destination Menu will reappear at any speed. Enter what you want and flip the switch back for normal vehicle tracking.

If you're interested in this modification, follow this link for instructions:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

If you have an '08 or newer Vette, see Post #41. That shows a switch in the new '08 console.

Last edited by kawal; 11-08-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:54 PM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Way Way

Mike
Old 06-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Av8terZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to do exactly this but I read a thread a while back where someone else said they did that and it didnt work, he must have cut the wrong wire.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Av8terZ06
I was going to do exactly this but I read a thread a while back where someone else said they did that and it didnt work, he must have cut the wrong wire.
Cutting the wrong wire would definitely prevent the mod from working. The other wires in this plug are for signals from the XM radio and auxiliary CD changer.

Do you have a link to the thread you previously read?

Ray
Old 06-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Av8terZ06
Instructor

go to post 10,,,,,,,,,im pretty sure thats where i read it

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=vss
Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally somebody who has craked it!!!

Kawal your amazing

Very valuable post---needs a sticky
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Av8terZ06
go to post 10,,,,,,,,,im pretty sure thats where i read it

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=vss
I looked at that post and it said it "didn't work". But he didn't elaborate. If you just cut the wire (the correct pin D wire), the nav unit will indeed think the vehicle has stopped and the Destination Menu will reappear. But, cutting the wire also disables the vehicle tracking, which may have been what he meant by "didn't work". Obviously, you want the tracking to work or the Nav is useless.

But connecting a switch allows you to reestablish the connection after your destination entries are made. It takes a few seconds for the nav unit to find your new position (since you've moved during the time you've been disconnected), but once found, the nav unit will continue with your routing as normal.

It works just fine for me, so I don't know why it wouldn't for others - unless perhaps they have a different nav unit. My Z is an '07 and uses the Denso nav unit. I'm assuming earlier C6's use the same.

Ray

Note on 10/28/07: This mod works not only on Corvettes but on many other GM cars and trucks as well. Upon reading other forums, other owners have successfully modified their Nav system the exact same way.

Last edited by kawal; 10-28-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Z06 Pat
Advanced

Great work. Thank you very much.

Pat
Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Av8terZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by kawal
I looked at that post and it said it "didn't work". But he didn't elaborate. If you just cut the wire (the correct pin D wire), the nav unit will indeed think the vehicle has stopped and the Destination Menu will reappear. But, cutting the wire also disables the vehicle tracking, which may have been what he meant by "didn't work". Obviously, you want the tracking to work or the Nav is useless.

But connecting a switch allows you to reestablish the connection after your destination entries are made. It takes a few seconds for the nav unit to find your new position (since you've moved during the time you've been disconnected), but once found, the nav unit will continue with your routing as normal.

It works just fine for me, so I don't know why it wouldn't for others - unless perhaps they have a different nav unit. My Z is an '07 and uses the Denso nav unit. I'm assuming earlier C6's use the same.

Ray

I know there was more to the post, but it was a while back so maybe some of it was deleted or something,,,,,,i dont know,,,,,,,,,,,but im pretty sure he stated he tried it or whatever similarly as you did,,,,,anyway,,,,,,,its on my list to do,,,,,again,,,,,lol,,,,,,mine is a 07 Z06 as well
Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 PM
AsianCorvetteLover
Intermediate

so no one can crack the DVD player to play normal DVD???
Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianCorvetteLover
so no one can crack the DVD player to play normal DVD???
Yes, something simillar is available. There is a company that will take your nav, modify it, so you can connect a dvd player, video game system, watch local tv, connect up to 3 or more cameras and lot's more... I have their website somewhere...need to look for it...but it will be one of my future mods..
Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kawal.

This is deifintiely FAQ material!

Nice job!

Mike
Old 06-16-2007, 09:55 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Great work, illustrations and results.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 AM
jgmachine
Pro

Default Does anyone know if...

there is similar instructions for a 2006 H2 Nav?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:30 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Geez this is brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Old 06-16-2007, 12:04 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent. Now, if you could just figure out how to display the output of my lap timer on the NAV display . . . Meanwhile:

Old 06-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Nice!
Only that's the same switch/location I put my exhaust flaps open switch....
Not sure I want to start taking the dash apart either. Good work!

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To A modification to your Nav system you might like

Old 06-16-2007, 12:19 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Excellent. Now, if you could just figure out how to display the output of my lap timer on the NAV display . . . Meanwhile:

Allan, I would think you would want that on your HUD so you don't take your eyes from where your racing
Old 06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kawal

Ray
great job

too complicated for me but my stereo install shop will love the detailed instructions to do the fix.......how much do I owe you!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:53 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Nice!
Only that's the same switch/location I put my exhaust flaps open switch....
Not sure I want to start taking the dash apart either. Good work!

Ron
For taking the dash apart, I probably wouldn't have tried it without the factory service manual, but once I saw how easy it is, it isn't a big deal.

If you take off the console cover (very easy), the shift **** (very easy), put the shifter in 2nd, the console trim panel will come loose pretty easily. (But see Post #85 that discusses the passenger side trim plate removal before you lift the console.) You just have to pry a bit with your fingers, so it would be hard to damage something.

Once the trim panel is loose, I learned that you must unplug the seat heater switches, the cigar lighter, and the hazard switch at the top. These are easy to do once you reach them, and they are even easier to put back, because you can see how they go. After the plugs are pulled, the trim panel just sets to the side.

Pulling the heater controls and the nav unit is the easiest thing of all.

Anyone can do all of the above, but some might be a bit worried about cutting the speed signal wire and soldering the new wire on. You could use crimp-on connectors, but a soldered joint is more reliable. Nothing disastrous would happen if a connection comes loose, but the Nav unit wouldn't track and you'd have to take off the trim panel again to fix it.

So anyone with a bit of soldering experience should have no trouble at all with this mod. (See the updated website, since I now have a simple adapter harness that allows this modification without cutting any factory wires.)

And yes, I remember your switch and thought it looked great! (There's room for two switches, by the way.)

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 03-17-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A modification to your Nav system you might like