Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Added the Killer Bee yesterday. The performance bump is noticeable on the LS3/Npp. The exhaust howls like a Banshee now with the flaps open! BTW, Temp datalogging planned, but did a few small tests yesterday with a handheld Infrared gauge. Shot after a run on a 95 degree day, coolant temps about 205 degrees at the end. Popped the hood and got:

Top of Halltech filter: 101 degrees
Engine covers: 143 degrees

Removed the rear engine seal and replaced with a low profile trim piece that doesn't seal that high pressure area as discussed in a few posts above. Looks like a nice reduction in engine bay temps (cooler is always better) More long term datalogging to come on this.:

Top of Halltech filter: 98 degrees
Engine covers: 123 degrees

Last edited by Modshack; 08-14-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
That was my point, the hood was NOT sealed, and the washer fluid cap is under the hood. The fluid was splashing out and being pushed to the windsheild by the hot air under there. I'm talking speeds of 100+ MPH at a track. If the air was going into the hood, the fluid would never show up on the windshield. I don't doubt at lower speeds the high pressure area at the intersection of the hood and windsheild would help force air under the hood, as in the "cowl induction" hoods on the '69 SS Camaros, and '74/'75 Vettes. However, I think as speed builds, the pressure differential (becomes greater under the hood) changes somewhere around 80-90 MPH.
IF the C6 is like the C5, the fluid is not coming from the washer fluid cap, but rather coming from the washer nozzles, on the wipers.

I sincerely doubt there will be a pressure change with speed that gives a reversal in the flow, in the hood Vs. out of the hood. Consider, NASCAR still uses an air intake at the base of the windshield and they are going at average speeds way above 90 MPH.

Modshack: As you have modified the rear seal (if you are sure there is no sealing of that location), please do an experiment for us: Tape some strings or threads to the lowered part of the seal, drive at speed and tell us where they end up, going out and up the windshield (air is leaving the underhood area) or into the engine bay (air going into the engine bay). Try different length strings, 2" to maybe 6", please.

Last edited by 6Speeder; 08-14-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
IF the C6 is like the C5, the fluid is not coming from the washer fluid cap, but rather coming from the washer nozzles, on the wipers.

I sincerely doubt there will be a pressure change with speed that gives a reversal in the flow, in the hood Vs. out of the hood. Consider, NASCAR still uses an air intake at the base of the windshield and they are going at average speeds way above 90 MPH.

Modshack: As you have modified the rear seal (if you are sure there is no sealing of that location), please do an experiment for us: Tape some strings or threads to the lowered part of the seal, drive at speed and tell us where they end up, going out and up the windshield (air is leaving the underhood area) or into the engine bay (air going into the engine bay). Try different length strings, 2" to maybe 6", please.
Nope, fluid only coming from the far left directly behind where the washer fluid cap is located. I haven't looked at any NASCAR chassis lately, so don't know how they are built or vented, so can't comment, but they are definitely not comparible to a stock body. Good idea to have Modshack check it out.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

It's pretty common knowledge that this is a high pressure area. Many cars use cowl induction feeds to CAI's from this location (The Mini is one). I don't know at what speed that may change if it does. I'm sure it has something to do with how much air is admitted into the front of the engine bay and has to escape. On the Vette this should be mimimal depending on how the underbody, and side extraction aerodynamics work. All street cars use this area as a pressurized inlet for the Ventilation/AC system. Regarding Temp reductions, i got similar (20 degree) reductions on my Audi by making the same change to the gasket seal so I know that works. I'm off on a trip til next week...I'll do some experimenting when I get back..
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Sounds good Modshack. If you are seeing the fuel rail covers at lowered temps you are probably seeing the effect of ambient air coming in from the base of the windshield cooling them, not air coming in the nose of the car which would be heated by the radiator.

While that will work to cool the motor somewhat it will affect the aerodynamic balance at speed. I'd be careful till I know how it handles at high speed.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM
deereman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Couple of Questions for Carlos

Based on what I've read here, VetteAir will work with the K&N? Secondly, do you have an online set of installation instructions that I can read? Thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I would like to see a set of instructions too. I want to know what I am getting into before I start.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

The instructions and a video is posted on Carlos' web site..
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. I got the instructions and it seems easy to install. The video was too dark to see, almost black. I could make out that the work was being done on a yellow Vette but that's about all I could tell. Am I doning something wrong?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shearer
Thanks. I got the instructions and it seems easy to install. The video was too dark to see, almost black. I could make out that the work was being done on a yellow Vette but that's about all I could tell. Am I doning something wrong?
No, you are not doing something wrong...it is a little dark. We contacted Michael Mann and Quentin Tarentino and both were too busy to help us out. So Carmen and crew at Vette Doctor's went on and produced an award winning video...you can't touch those actors!

Thanks,
Carlos...The next Big Brother
Old 08-15-2007, 03:10 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deereman
Based on what I've read here, VetteAir will work with the K&N? Secondly, do you have an online set of installation instructions that I can read? Thanks
Yes the vette air works with the K&N its the setup im running right now... Its not hard but time consuming make sure u take the grill out in the front if u dont u will regret doing it from the bottom..

R.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Evilness
Yes the vette air works with the K&N its the setup im running right now
Did you reprogram the computer?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:37 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim Shearer
Did you reprogram the computer?
My car had already been tuned before the vette air all i did was disconnect the battery and maf on installation... will be gettin a retune after the intake manifold and TB.

R.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes the vette air works with the K&N its the setup im running right now... Its not hard but time consuming make sure u take the grill out in the front if u dont u will regret doing it from the bottom..

R.
Yup, I just did my vette-air and I also have K&N. Only problem with grill is putting it back in and getting the push pins to snap in tight. Real pia there
Old 08-15-2007, 04:10 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

My car had already been tuned before the vette air all i did was disconnect the battery and maf on installation... will be gettin a retune after the intake manifold and TB.

R.
Evilness, did you notice a slight roughness at idle after vette-air install?
It's really minor on mine but definetly there. Car runs great though. Probably need some tuner attention to fix idle although it's in no way a problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jbp8653
It's really minor on mine but definetly there. Car runs great though. Probably need some tuner attention to fix idle although it's in no way a problem.
Yeah a bit its been like 56 degrees here at night so she def wakes up. I gotta do some re adjustments to mine since the stock pins that hold the plastic panels are a POS... Imma retune on friday for the intake and TB ill let u know if the idle thing is gone...

R.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Yeah a bit its been like 56 degrees here at night so she def wakes up. I gotta do some re adjustments to mine since the stock pins that hold the plastic panels are a POS... Imma retune on friday for the intake and TB ill let u know if the idle thing is gone...

R.
Cool! Here's a tip on the push pins. Use 2 screwdrivers. One to hold bottom part down as far as you can press it while its in the slot and the second one to push pin in as far as it will go. When I did mine like that they finally held tight. Iam planning on doing ported intake and throttle body as well so please let me know your results!

Get notified of new replies

To Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>

Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 PM
SG333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re:

One to hold bottom part down as far as you can press it while its in the slot and the second one to push pin in as far as it will go.
Are you pulling the second pin upwards? Do these pins break pretty easily?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by deereman
Hello Dennis,

Yes, the Vette-Air will work with the K&N unit. We have a few customers running that combo with great results.

There is a online video and instruction on the website:
www.vette-air.com.

Thanks, and please ask me ANY question you wish (publicly or PM).

Carlos
Old 08-15-2007, 05:32 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

John,

It seems that the K&N units really wakes up with the Vette-Air.
Your car will need some minor tweaks to clean her up...more air with the right amout of fuel will result in more power

Also, with cooler AIT temps, you may, just may be able to run a degree or two of additional timing.

Mr. Rudy in CA is seeing 56* nights Wow, his car should really WAKE UP with the Vette-Air, PORTED INTAKE/TB and retune!

Crap, here in Dallas Tx we have 90* to 95* nights...it sucks! I mean, it cools off to about 87* or so past midnight and that's it.

Thanks,
Carlos

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>