Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>

Hi Guys...I'm usually over on the C6 General board, but thought you may find my experimentation useful..

I'm a big fan of cool intake air. It's been proven numerous times, get more cool air to the intake there is less timing pull and more horsepower made..Simple. The '08 airbox is basically a Z06 system with a Helmholz resonator attached to attenuate noise and improve flow.. Nice design with a downward facing inlet. No real restrictions or bottle necks unlike the prior year C6 systems. Feed some fresh air to that and half the job is done.. The Vette-Air seemed a pretty elegant solution to this. Relatively inexpensive, easy install, obvoius benefits. This maintains OEM quality, with some of the Vararam benefits. I haven't been impressed with some of the quality reports on that. The Vett-Air is a nicely made fiberglass piece.

The install is pretty easy. Minor cutting of the shroud (while on the car). Figure about 1.5 hours to put in, with no dissasembly other than the airbox removal. The Vette-air can install from underneath with no grill removal necessary:

Nice, big fresh air scoop as an adjunct to your stock NACA duct:

Inside:

Part 2: The Cold Air Box

I've had great success with insulating CAI's. Simple foil faced Bubble insulation (R14 rated) can lower Airbox temps significantly. I've done Data logging on another car and proven the concept. Results here if interested: http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1574191.phtml

First I patterned a set of side plates to prevent the dispersal of the incoming cool air. These were made from .39 PVC and simply velcro'd into place. The whole Mod can easily be reversed:

Pattern and cut the insulation to provide a barrier for the Intake and air bridge, from the radiator heat. Notice the top edge of the radiator is directly below the unprotected bridge:

The end result should provide even cooler, more directed air to the filter inlet.

I need to dress it up a little and maybe black out the insulation. i only spent an hour on this so consider it in "Prototype" stage!
I'll datalog this and compare the Cold box temps to Ambient someday soon when the temps drop out of the 100's! Too hot to do much of anything, let alone get representative results under "Normal" conditions.

More pics in the "cold Box" mod album here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/corvette-stuff/

Contact Carlos here for Vette-Air info: http://www.vette-air.com

Steve

Last edited by Modshack; 08-07-2007 at 03:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Modshack:
Da Z06 (03-02-2016), Z5108 (03-02-2016)
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Look Awsome steve my vette air came in the mail today. I was gonna ask u u ever tought of taking out the HUGE resonator and capping it off with something so u get straight thru air like in a z06? Ive done that in my 3000GT and it made a huge difference. Just food for tought thanks for the pix buddy.

R.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Evilness
Look Awsome steve my vette air came in the mail today. I was gonna ask u u ever tought of taking out the HUGE resonator and capping it off with something so u get straight thru air like in a z06? Ive done that in my 3000GT and it made a huge difference. Just food for tought thanks for the pix buddy.

R.
Hi Evil.. I gave it some thought as I believe it is largely for noise control. Shopdog thinks it may improve flow over the MAF as well. I'll most likely move to a Halltech intake eventually, so rather than cut this up, I thought I'd leave it stock for now. The important stuff is the Cool air feed with the Vette-Air. The Cold box addition should be icing on that cake..Doubt the resonator removal will make that big a Dif.

No problem!....Easy to do..
Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice work, Modshack! That looks very clean!

very interested to see your data results
Old 08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
nice work, Modshack! That looks very clean!

very interested to see your data results
X2...

Great work...!!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Hi Evil.. I gave it some thought as I believe it is largely for noise control. Shopdog thinks it may improve flow over the MAF as well. I'll most likely move to a Halltech intake eventually, so rather than cut this up, I thought I'd leave it stock for now. The important stuff is the Cool air feed with the Vette-Air. The Cold box addition should be icing on that cake..Doubt the resonator removal will make that big a Dif.

No problem!....Easy to do..
Vette owners,

Here we have yet another reason why the Vette-Air should be in your list of modifications. We all know that ram-air inductions for most part can be very effective…right? In the automotive world, Ram-air can be defined as a form of forcing outside air into an engine! Performance levels can slightly be boosted since there is an increase of air volume but often at the expense of increased intake noise.

We all know that our beloved Corvettes come from the factory pretty air restricted and, in many cases, the source of any cooler air is usually found around the radiator cavity. High temperature of air near the engine can reduce performance, but this is often made up for by the increased volume of air; however, it is warm air. As a remedy, the Vette-Air intake rams outside air into your stock AIS system or aftermarket filtration element while at the same time shielding HEAT from the radiator and oil cooler(C6Z).

Forcing air into any combustion engine often promotes better fuel and air atomization and thus performance. This can easily be detected by the overall engine running more efficiently through increased performance and fuel economy. Remember, the Vette-Air intake promotes an air charging effect due to its acute curve, as it allows air to flow directly into the filter or AIS system (cooler air) without impeding flow to the radiator, oil cooler or any other part designed by GM. The Vette-Air is almost undetectable; yet it is big enough to supply much needed air to your vehicle without the risk of water ingestion or high speed lift as with other systems in the market today.

The system is simple yet extremely effective, but the best part is that you get all of this for only $139.95! It can be used with ANY aftermarket AIS system, open filter elements or the stock system. However, through testing, we found the Halltech filtration system to be the most effective systems out there today. Combine the Vette-Air system [scoop] with the Halltech AIS/filter units and you are in for a nice and very effective performance treat…no sales pitch, just the truth. Have you seen our track and dyno results? Many other guys will claim this and that, but just ask yourself this, “What intake system/combo is found in many/most of the fastest and more powerful Vettes out there?” Then you will see what I’ve been saying for many months.

Again, all aftermarket systems work, but some work better than others…period!

Thanks,
Carlos

The following users liked this post:
Z5108 (03-02-2016)
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM
CORVETTE007
Pro

Very nice. I really like it when people take the time to take pics of everything step by step. Pictures are worth a thousand words!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM
CORVETTE007
Pro

Hi Carlos

Just a quick question for you...

Any testing or measurements of air blockage to the radiator and possibly higher running temps?

Just a thought looking at where placement is at.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice clean install. But since this system isn't sealed around the intake, doesn't the possibility of increasing under hood pressure at high speeds where CAI becomes effective exist?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Minkster
Nice clean install. But since this system isn't sealed around the intake, doesn't the possibility of increasing under hood pressure at high speeds where CAI becomes effective exist?
Thanks!...I'm thinking the side extraction vents will deal with most of that concern..I'm also thinking the box, now that it is not wide open to the bay, will ingest more air than the Engine demands at speed resulting in a high pressure area inside that semi closed box with the excess spilling out the top and back into the engine bay and consequently extracted out the sides.......

Last edited by Modshack; 08-07-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTE007
Hi Carlos

Just a quick question for you...

Any testing or measurements of air blockage to the radiator and possibly higher running temps?

Just a thought looking at where placement is at.

Thanks!
I love my Vette-air scoop. It gets the IAT down to ambient much quicker when moving than when stock. I have not had my coolant temps go up after install.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:08 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Vette-Air from Carlos and it rocks.....Dealing with Carlos is a pleasure....he is a straight shooter
Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Thanks!...I'm thinking the side extraction vents will deal with most of that concern..I'm also thinking the box, now that it is not wide open to the bay, will ingest more air than the Engine demands at speed resulting in a high pressure area inside that semi closed box with the excess spilling out the top and back into the engine bay.....
Looking at your design, I still think it will increase underhood pressure at higher speeds since there is no "air-tight' seal there, but at street speeds won't be noticable. If I were at a track, I would remove the back hood seal to help relieve some of that pressure and prevent any front end lightness at track speeds. By the way, where do you get the foil faced bubble insulation, R14 rated? I can see some other uses for that stuff!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I love my Vette-air scoop. It gets the IAT down to ambient much quicker when moving than when stock. I have not had my coolant temps go up after install.

Thanks Mr. Speeder, you beat me to the punch.

Mr. Corvette007, the blockage of air flow to the radiator is very small, and I mean small…no overheating issues! The Vette-Air tucks high in the cavity; it does not go all the way back into the radiator. In fact, it faces forward away from the radiator so it does not get any heat from the radiator

Another thing I need to mention, the Vette-Air is made out of a light but yet strong fiberglass material. This method cost more to make, but it will NOT suck up and retain heat like many of the plastic units on the market today. The Vette-Air will not get flimsy from heat and cold cycles like many plastic pieces seem to do...remember the LS1 fiascos? I figure, if GM can make a car with fiberglass panels, the same can be done with the Intake system as well.

Despite all that, my system stills the cheapest on the market! Cheaper does not mean junk! I know this may be hard for some Vette owners to comprehend. We have been programmed to think that more money means better…not in all cases.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

That does it dang-it. Carlos, I just ordered a Vette-Air!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Minkster
By the way, where do you get the foil faced bubble insulation, R14 rated? I can see some other uses for that stuff!

Here: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Page 3382
Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Here: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Page 3382
Now that's a catalog!!!

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>

Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Steve - Thanks for sharing the great install pics, this was a very helpfull and interesting post - Your welcome over here on the Z06 site any time.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RoHo
Hey Steve - Thanks for sharing the great install pics, this was a very helpfull and interesting post - Your welcome over here on the Z06 site any time.

Thanks Roho...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RoHo
That is cool...you are also welcome to my house, to my breakfast, lunch and dinner, but not to my pink lemonade kool aid.

Carlos...the stingy one

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>