Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 rear diff service, necessary to replace clip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
C6 Mayhem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 rear diff service, necessary to replace clip?

To those who've replaced the diff. gear lube themselves on their Z.

The GM service manual says to remove the cooler inlet tube from the bottom of the diff. to drain. The tube is removed by first pulling off the spring clip that locks it in place. It states to not reuse the clip, replace it. The local Chev store doesn't stock this clip. In fact, they can't even pull up a drawing on the parts computer that shows the clip. Anyone done this service, and reused the original clip with no drama? Would like to replace the gear lube this weekend. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Mayhem

The GM service manual says to remove the cooler inlet tube from the bottom of the diff. to drain. The tube is removed by first pulling off the spring clip that locks it in place. It states to not reuse the clip, replace it. The local Chev store doesn't stock this clip. In fact, they can't even pull up a drawing on the parts computer that shows the clip. Anyone done this service, and reused the original clip with no drama? Would like to replace the gear lube this weekend. Thanks.
That's odd, I wonder what the dealer does when he replaces the fluid during a rear end clutch pack replacement Ask your dealer that.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Had both my 05 coupe and 06 Z rear ends serviced and or replaced. They used the same clip several times on each car with no issues.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM
C6 Mayhem
Instructor

Minkster, I'm the Service Manager at the Honda store next door. The Chevy dealership is a combo Chevy, Mercedes, VW store (interesting combination). According to their Parts Manager, they've never even had a Z in there for service. What's disturbing is the computer parts drawing they faxed over to me, doesn't even show the clip, even though all the other tubes, fittings etc. are there. Hard to show them what you want when the part isn't illustrated. Pretty poor support from GM.

jbp8653, thanx for the heads up. I'll take a chance and reuse the clip.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:16 PM
captej
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same same...

Originally Posted by C6 Mayhem

this is hard to believe...but im preparing to change me DIFF and TRANS fluids...i have the part number for the "clip" if you would like it...same as TRANS cooler line retainer...GM#24205103..good luck brother,EJ
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 PM
captej
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump
Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 PM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

Old 08-16-2007, 10:13 PM
C6 Mayhem
Instructor

Thanks ej. Found out late today that the clip is shown on the trans cooler line drawing for a Z51 C6. Picked one up on the way home, same part number.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 rear diff service, necessary to replace clip?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 rear diff service, necessary to replace clip?