Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Mid- Engine C7 - My Take On It

Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 PM
ApexOversteer
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid- Engine C7 - My Take On It

Not going to happen.

That is all.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ApexOversteer
Not going to happen.

That is all.

Someone had to do it (first reply).

Oh, and On-Topic --

M.E. <> Chevrolet (GM, FTM).

Mr. AO is quite enigmatic, but I trust this forum participant's opinions.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 AM
motorholmes
Advanced

If the c6 with transaxle is near 50/50 weight what is the point? If GM wants to screw around with this idea they should leave the vette out of it. Just my $.02
Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
ApexOversteer
Team Owner

Originally Posted by motorholmes
If the c6 with transaxle is near 50/50 weight what is the point? If GM wants to screw around with this idea they should leave the vette out of it. Just my $.02
Exactly. Why take away practicality and add expense if the current design format already offers the preferred weight distribution and handling characteristics?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:32 AM
boxerperson
Instructor

Weight distribution on the wheels is not the only concern.

A mid-engine car has a lower polar moment of inertia, and can change direction more quickly. The corvette, while doing everything it can to centralize mass, still has the weight further out towards the ends of the car (front and rear) than a mid engine vehicle.

That said, MOST of what that affects is handling FEEL. The corvette is already doing better lap times than almost everything (though the new Nissan GT-R seems to lap the 'ring quite a bit faster, which is AMAZING since it's got less horse and more weight).

A mid engine design would probably result in even better reviews from magazines. And it's not that hard to make it practical. The only reason mid-engine is seen as impractical and more expensive is cuz most the cars that use it are exotics which make no concessions to practicality or expense.

A mid-engined vette would surely look better. The front fenders of the C5 and C6 are bulbous. I like the lines, but the overall shape looks somewhat awkward, especially from low-to-the-ground 1/4 views from the front.

We shall see, huh? Personally I hope to see the vette switch to the same platform that's being developed to replace what the solstice is running on, shave off 200 pounds, put in a nice engine with maybe 380-400 horse and get the same 0-60 while sacrificing a little overall top speed, handle better, cost the same or less, and just plain be SMALLER.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boxerperson
Weight distribution on the wheels is not the only concern.

A mid-engine car has a lower polar moment of inertia, and can change direction more quickly. The corvette, while doing everything it can to centralize mass, still has the weight further out towards the ends of the car (front and rear) than a mid engine vehicle.

That said, MOST of what that affects is handling FEEL. The corvette is already doing better lap times than almost everything (though the new Nissan GT-R seems to lap the 'ring quite a bit faster, which is AMAZING since it's got less horse and more weight).

A mid engine design would probably result in even better reviews from magazines. And it's not that hard to make it practical. The only reason mid-engine is seen as impractical and more expensive is cuz most the cars that use it are exotics which make no concessions to practicality or expense.

A mid-engined vette would surely look better. The front fenders of the C5 and C6 are bulbous. I like the lines, but the overall shape looks somewhat awkward, especially from low-to-the-ground 1/4 views from the front.

We shall see, huh? Personally I hope to see the vette switch to the same platform that's being developed to replace what the solstice is running on, shave off 200 pounds, put in a nice engine with maybe 380-400 horse and get the same 0-60 while sacrificing a little overall top speed, handle better, cost the same or less, and just plain be SMALLER.
You are correct about the polar moment of inertia but to change the Corvette for the sake of change is crazy. Yes, they can do it and probably without making it costing much more if at all. What usually get's sacrificed in a mid engine design is "practicality". Mid engine cars are notorious for no luggage space. This is what makes the Corvette a useable daily driver, UNLIKE all other "exotics". You can pack a passenger and a week's worth of luggage for a trip instead of leaving it in the garage and taking the SUV.

Furthermore, look up the definition of "exotic". It's only exotic if it's rare. If they start cranking out 40,000 mid engine cars per year, that "exotic" appeal will soon wear off anyway.

As far as feel goes, again you are correct. Mid engine cars "feel" really good but why does Ferrari still use the 599 as their serious performer? Even the Enzo doesn't get entered at LeMans. And the jury is still out on the GTR ring times. Let's wait and see what it does in real life before we call it "amazing". The Z06 has proven itself on tracks around the world.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
As far as feel goes, again you are correct. Mid engine cars "feel" really good but why does Ferrari still use the 599 as their serious performer? Even the Enzo doesn't get entered at LeMans.
Doesn't the Enzo suffer the same issues as the Masseratti MC12, ie it doesn't fit the rules for the ACO/Lemans?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM
kyoung
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Doesn't the Enzo suffer the same issues as the Masseratti MC12, ie it doesn't fit the rules for the ACO/Lemans?
It should it is pretty much the same car.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
To qualify to run at Lemans, you have to produce 25 of the models per year...

The rules for GT1 state:

2.1.3 - "A regular production implies a permanent implementation of the means required to produce a minimum of 1 car per month. If the production is not respected, the ACO will suspend the homologation of the car the year after. The suspension of the homologation will cease once the production delay has been made up. It will be permitted to compete with the car as soon as a minimum of 25 road cars for the "big manufacturers" and 12 road cars for the "small manufacturers" will be produced."

What stops people from racing them at Lemans is the sheer cost of doing so. The brakes alone will run more than what most teams spend for tires the entire event. Add body parts abused from rubbin' like the NASCAR boys do, and you are looking at some serious $$$ to race (and add a roll cage, fuel cell, etc.).
Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I think the GT-R has an advantage with all-wheel drive.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 PM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

If they GM really wants to make a mid engine supercar they should leave the vette name alone and brand it as a Caddilac Cien or something new. A vette should always be front engine, rear drive with the best bang for the buck ratio.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to see a mid engine vette, but the bean counters will probably kill it.

If the Nissan GTR lap times are correct, with less power and more weight. The corvette team better get busy with the C7.

I want to see a back to back comparison of the Z06 and the GTR in car and driver, I just have a hard time believing the GTR is faster than a Z06.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:04 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
I would love to see a mid engine vette, but the bean counters will probably kill it.

If the Nissan GTR lap times are correct, with less power and more weight. The corvette team better get busy with the C7.

I want to see a back to back comparison of the Z06 and the GTR in car and driver, I just have a hard time believing the GTR is faster than a Z06.
The Z06 is the new benchmark. You can rest assured there will be a comparison.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 PM
wingman4rent
Instructor

I think the new vette will be rear engine, and cost much more money, and the spot previously held by the base vette will be an high level camaro. I hope I am wrong but that is just the feeling I get.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 PM
GregJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money is on a mid-engine Corvette. Tom Wallace is a "car guy" and a major race nut. The Corvette race team has cleaned everybodies clock in GT1, where do you go from there - to LMP1 at Le Mans. The ACO has played right to this effort as the rules for the LMP1 category starting in 2010 are that the car must be aligned very closely to a production model. No more prototypes that don't look like anything on the road. 2010 sound familiar for due dates? Look for the Corvette to be mid-engine, a stunning looker, and on the track for an overall win at Le Mans. Major architecture changes like going to mid-engine will also mean delayed introduction for the street Corvette (2011 or 2012??).
Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GregJ
Major architecture changes like going to mid-engine will also mean delayed introduction for the street Corvette (2011 or 2012??).
Delayed introduction for 2011 or 2012??? I don't think anything was EVER planned for a C7 before 2012. If they make a mid engine car, they better figure out how to do it so you can still carry a couple of sets of golf clubs. That's part of what makes the Corvette a good daily driver and useable for short trips.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Where would you put the two golf bags? Passenger seat?

Get notified of new replies

To Mid- Engine C7 - My Take On It

Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
You can pack a passenger and a week's worth of luggage for a trip instead of leaving it in the garage and taking the SUV.:
Hey, Rob. I see your point. But, in the overall GM picture, one has to consider the XLR and the new supercharged CTS. Perhaps they are just better tweaking their respective market niches. (What I wouldn't do to be a fly on the wall!!!)
Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman4rent
I think the new vette will be rear engine, and cost much more money, and the spot previously held by the base vette will be an high level camaro. I hope I am wrong but that is just the feeling I get.
(or, atleast say it is very possible) Tom Wallace has been to many of the NCM track days and has seen the money many of us have put into aftermarket products to bring the vette up to roadcourse standards. I think the number of track groupies is growing. And the market is surely there as ascertained by the Viper. Furthermore, from the articles I have read lately, GM wants to leap frog the rest of the manufacturers of the world market instead of simply playing catch up.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:07 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by southern_son
(or, atleast say it is very possible) Tom Wallace has been to many of the NCM track days and has seen the money many of us have put into aftermarket products to bring the vette up to roadcourse standards. I think the number of track groupies is growing. And the market is surely there as ascertained by the Viper. Furthermore, from the articles I have read lately, GM wants to leap frog the rest of the manufacturers of the world market instead of simply playing catch up.
I think Wallace and the rest of the engineers that show up at the NCM events are helping to make the car better by leaps and bounds. A fantastic program for the benefit of all. But you have to also consider how many people, including myself, who come to these weekend track events without a trailer. The car is loaded with our luggage, supplies and tools for the entire weekend. This might very well be one of the reasons Corvettes outnumber Vipers by 100:1 at any track events. Not to mention Ferraris or Lambos.

Not everybody is into it enough or can afford it enough to have the whole rig in a trailer. I personally like driving to the event, having a blast and then driving home, without having to store the trailer somewhere in between. My neighborhood homeowners association would frown on that. Some times my wife even likes to come along.

SO, I just wonder how a mid engine car with enough storage for a pair of shoes and some underwear would affect the attendance of the sport if it suddently costs you two or three times as much to go. It's not cheap now. And although I like the XLR and the CTS-V, it wouldn't quite be the same on the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Mid- Engine C7 - My Take On It