Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

"Routine hard use" (depending on your definition of that) on any engine ever built is asking for trouble. Like I said, serious racers don't expect an engine to last more than a weekend, and are torn down and rebuilt after every race.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:29 PM
thee Dragon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
"Routine hard use" (depending on your definition of that) on any engine ever built is asking for trouble. Like I said, serious racers don't expect an engine to last more than a weekend, and are torn down and rebuilt after every race.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:52 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How often are the springs supposed to be replaced anyway?

The way I see it, their life is based on the number of compressions they see, and not much else. High revving style can definitely shorten their life. Its just metal fatigue!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by ramsundaram
How often are the springs supposed to be replaced anyway?

The way I see it, their life is based on the number of compressions they see, and not much else. High revving style can definitely shorten their life. Its just metal fatigue!
Yep, they can last 100K, 10K, or 1K depending upon your use. That assumes there weren't casting defects with them in the first place, which is always possible with a small fraction of any mass-produced metal part.

I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but looking at those engines gives you a good idea of how long an engine lasts when it runs at the limit. They use all the strongest parts, and are happy to get 500 miles before they blow. They basically run close to red line for an entire race.

Most road racing use is a bit different, and the engines aren't running at red line for an entire race....they go up and down the rev range. Even so, at the 24 Hours of Le Mans the winner runs about 360 or so laps with an average lap time of about 4 minutes. At the 2007 race, only about half of the 54 cars entered finished the race. Yes, some of those crashed out, but many engines don't make it.

The is the best internal-combustion, auto engine technology known to human-kind.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Engine problems