Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Max Acceleration in a C6 and C6Z06: Use “Traction System Off”

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by O7zeeO6
...Sorry Ranger for semi-hijacking this thread.
Thanks for clarifying, O7zeeO6.

The owner's manual passages for Traction Control and Active Handling would benefit from editing, particularly in the differences between
(1) Traction System Off and
(2) Competitive Driving mode

Several former owners of C5 making the transition to the C6 platform have discovered the hard way that AH is quite relaxed in Comp mode. Others have pressed the C6 console button for 5-seconds (the C5 way of entering Comp mode) only to discover the hard way, that action turns off both TC and AH. Got to read the manual.

Fortunately, the Corvette Forum is here and this subject is dealt with frequently. But the word still reaches only a fraction of owners.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 11-16-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger

Fortunately, the Corvette Forum is here and this subject is dealt with frequently. But the word still reaches only a fraction of owners.

Ranger
Even those of us that frequent the forum miss important threads like this.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Bob_Green
Racer

ttt, news to me so I bumped it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Pio
Ranger, this advice is great for those who can control their cars in case the rear starts slipping sideways.

You have a massive amount of self control and abort a run when something goes wrong. Many people, me included, try to salvage the run and end up in a bad position.

I remember when Ram Air Tony (an old forum mod and still a member) lost his C5Z when he lost control and went into the wall. He swore never to run in anything but competition mode from there on.

I guess what I'm saying is - we've been told for years that in order to keep it "safe" keep it in "competition mode".
He didnt lie, he bought a Viper, which has none of that
Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone notice that their z06 gets more sideways than maybe other cars? I only have my GT to compare to but it has more power and even when i got WOT in first gear, the rear end barely kicks out to one side before I can let off and get it under control.

Ive only had one scary experience in the z06 when I nailed it around 55mph in 2nd gear and if it hadnt been for active handling, I think I would have gotten in an accident. The car started to get sideways pretty violently.

Could this have anything to do with the leaf spring suspension setup?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Either way, this is a good bump.

I also drive with traction control off but I never drive with everything off.

Now I am probably going to drive on the 1 click setting moreso than the 2 click setting.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RoatanMan
Great info... I drive in Comp Mode everywhere... It seems to work better for me vs. the other modes...
Comp mode lessens the involvement from active handling more than just turning TC off. If something goes wrong and you get sideways having TC off will give you a better chance of straightening the car out than being in comp mode would.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!! I didn't know this!! Thanks for the bump!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I was testing this out the other day, actually!

I found a nice abandoned spot with a smooth right-hander and wanted to see how much of an intrusion AH really was in either mode.

So, my technique was to enter the corner with enough speed and hit the throttle, counter-steer, and power through it. A drifting exercise if you will!!

So, with everything full on, nothing! The car would roll over a bit, and the throttle would go dead. (no power applied) Had a little bit of slide but nothing that would turn it into a dangerous situation if you were caught off guard. I then tried in TC-OFF mode, Comp. Mode, and ALL-OFF mode.

TC-OFF: Got some good wheelspin, but as ranger elaborated earlier, the car would slide out and immediately cut power and hit the brakes. I didn't get much of a side-angle BUT... and please read this BUT... if you are not aware or cocky... even in TC-OFF, you will spin the car around if you over correct to forcefully. SO BE VERY CAREFUL!

Comp. Mode: Same as above, but with less wheel spin, however, I did get more side-angle. It would seem as if the computer would hit the power/brakes cutoff's harder as well. The abrupt power loss was felt more in Comp. Mode than in TC-OFF. Or atleast this is what I felt. It was as if the computer would let you get out harder, yet, rein you back in just as hard/fast. Again, still dangerous if your messing around where you shouldn't be.. SO BE VERY CAREFUL!

ALL-OFF: well, as the name suggests, there is nothing hold you back from smashing a $70K car because you want to show off to a group of girls! DONT DO IT!!!! I had to counter-steer tons and still, the car was very snappy from left to right... yet, flat enough to help you stay in what can only be discribed as control. VERY, VERY DANGEROUS even with an expert driver (unlike myself) with street tires and a whole lot of throttle. Great for donuts, but who really wants to splatter tire shreds on such a nice car anyways?

Oh, please don't try this stuff, I'd hate to see someone get hurt.

Last edited by obzidian; 07-30-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Bob_Green
Racer

Originally Posted by kumar75150
Anyone notice that their z06 gets more sideways than maybe other cars? I only have my GT to compare to but it has more power and even when i got WOT in first gear, the rear end barely kicks out to one side before I can let off and get it under control.

Ive only had one scary experience in the z06 when I nailed it around 55mph in 2nd gear and if it hadnt been for active handling, I think I would have gotten in an accident. The car started to get sideways pretty violently.

Could this have anything to do with the leaf spring suspension setup?
Well, the suspension isn't leaf springs in any traditional sense. Rather, it uses a single transverse leaf spring to replace 2 coils (as found in typical cars) with a normal double-A arm suspension setup (as found in many/most high performance cars). Its not a crude or unadvanced suspension as people sometimes make it out to be.

That said, of the performance cars I've owned this is the one thats most tail-happy, most interested in sliding out, etc. I agree with your comments about this being a flaw. This is my personal biggest complaint (not the interior, i like the interior).

The tires probably don't help. I dont think any other car ever got this much power combined with tires this un-sticky.

I was thinking about starting a thread about this asking for peoples advice on what to do (coil overs, shocks, etc.).
Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

well, I think when you go from the stock GY's to a softer sidewalled tire, or one with better overall grip, the car will start to behave differently.

Still, the rear car step out at times, but, what would you rather have. A car that will understeer you into a tire wall or car that can be "snapped" back into line with some throttle?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian

ALL-OFF: well, as the name suggests, there is nothing hold you back from smashing a $70K car because you want to show off to a group of girls! DONT DO IT!!!! I had to counter-steer tons and still, the car was very snappy from left to right... yet, flat enough to help you stay in what can only be discribed as control. VERY, VERY DANGEROUS even with an expert driver (unlike myself) with street tires and a whole lot of throttle. Great for donuts, but who really wants to splatter tire shreds on such a nice car anyways?

Oh, please don't try this stuff, I'd hate to see someone get hurt.
I love the car in this mode, and done quite a few runs down the track with everything off.
I usually have to abort half of my runs when the car becomes dangerous (stock F1's with 530rwhp), but after several runs, I'm quickly learning where the limit is, and how to keep the car on the edge with the throttle and stay within the car's performance envelope.

Car does become twitchy, but the only way you can learn to control your car is to experience the car when it is unstable, and practice handling the car in this state. Not something you can learn if there's an electronic nanny that will reel the car in once you get close to it.

I encourage new drivers to take their car to an open parking lot when it's raining, and turn all the electonic nannies off, and let the car go. (Yes the rain, car slides much easier and much less abusive on your tires). Best place to learn to regain control of your car when it's out of control.

Yes, it is dangerous, but you only live once!

Last edited by tlaselva; 04-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

I always love these threads. You cannot make a recommendation without direct knowledge of the skill of the driver in control of the vehicle. So Thanks... but I'll keep driving my C6 Z06 10/10th with AH/TC completely off - like I have for over 50k miles, and 103k miles of C5 Z06 abuse prior to that. Next to a superbike, this car is a complete joke to control.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Great post Ranger... Thanks for doing your homework and allowing us to be safe in our cars... I too thought that Comp Mode was safer... Needless to say, for straight line WOT, I just hit the button only once...
Old 05-03-2009, 06:52 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ranger, POST #22 really helps clarify your OP to the C5 crew

That made things 'click' for me, 4 vs. 3 settings in the C5
Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
ThomasKolker
Intermediate

Just a point of reference, for us old heads who drove 427s many years ago when there was no active handling control.... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you get off the gas and steer. Don't hit the brakes or you slide, especially if you start to lock up the breaks, even with anit-lock features. You can, if you can't figure this out cause several things to happen... in addition to breaking loose and loosing control you may encounter a good case of wheel hop. If you don't get off the gas, there is a good chance you may, I repeat may experience a good case of wheel hop. This can snap an axel or a CV joint. Just a little food for thought from some one who has been driving and racing for 40 years.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks for the post..coming from a c5z, i was under all the false assumptions(NOT HAVING READ THE MANUAL) about the TC,AH, and CM..i thought running CM was safer for the street...glad to know , just hit the button once, and get used to that mode first...
since i have the nitto tires on , and use the car only for street .. i feel a little more informed , and maybe more confident after i drive my z for awhile longer with the new info i've read from this thread...
thanks again..
bud

Get notified of new replies

To Max Acceleration in a C6 and C6Z06: Use “Traction System Off”

Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default sticky this thread?

I had to bump this to the top again... I'm a (really happy!) new owner of a LMB 07 C6 Z, and was completely confused on this issue... Thanks to all (Ranger especially) for all the helpful posts and invaluable info! However you like to drive your car, at least here you can learn what all the modes do, how to set them, and when/where to possibly use them for different situations.

Might I suggest to the moderators that this thread becomes a sticky? I mean, this is really great, important info, and there's new Z owners every day, especially in today's used market... would be nice to find this info a little easier!

Dave
Old 12-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree! Good idea.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Not being a skilled drag racer, I find my stock Z06 can get away from me with little to no warning. I never thought I'd say this but I'm finding the Z06 is over powered for any sort of aggressive street driving, so I don't even attempt tofool around.

I restrict my track time (high speed driving) to road courses. I'm much more in control and comfortable in that enviroment than on a 1/4 mile track.

To quote Dirty Harry - A man's got to know his limitations

Quick Reply: [Z06] Max Acceleration in a C6 and C6Z06: Use “Traction System Off”