Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealership damaged my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:31 PM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curvesman
Sorry for laughing but that was funny! I am sure it was not at the time!
It was 8 years ago and I can laugh now, but no, it was not funny then. This was a y2k hardtop and at the time had maybe 3k on the odometer, had so much in the damn car, even had to buy a whole 6.0 to get the block, gm did not sell just the 6.0 block untill 01 I had modern Z kind of money in the car. I know for a fact it got me a killer deal on my 01 Z, so the lesson here would be: what is done is done, ride it and get what u want or just don't pick up the car and get a lawyer.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Dealer called tonight and said the car was ready. I high tailed it out the 45 minute drive and see the car all nice and pretty, freshly detailed and ready to rumble. The paint match perfectly, well all except the one spot with the chips still in it. My salesman almost fainted when I showed him the spot on the door. Needless to say the car is still at the dealer and should be redone tomorrow. I'll have pictures tomorrow of the damage and post it up.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 04Z16
Dealer called tonight and said the car was ready. I high tailed it out the 45 minute drive and see the car all nice and pretty, freshly detailed and ready to rumble. The paint match perfectly, well all except the one spot with the chips still in it. My salesman almost fainted when I showed him the spot on the door. Needless to say the car is still at the dealer and should be redone tomorrow. I'll have pictures tomorrow of the damage and post it up.
That would have been their first and last chance....I would have immediately taken the car on the spot and found my own repair shop.....by law you have the right to have it fixed wherever you want....
Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra
The only way they can make it right is for them to offer you a deal you can't refuse on an '08. I would ask for the full blue book resale value for your car on trade in and their cost for an '08 plus their year end refund from GM - they should make no profit on the exchange. Your repaired car will never be as good as it was when you drove into the dealership. A good example of why my car will never be serviced by a Chevy dealer.
Don't forget to have dealership also pay college tuition for all of your kids and your grand kids. This is America, man.

LOL
Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
It was 8 years ago and I can laugh now, but no, it was not funny then. This was a y2k hardtop and at the time had maybe 3k on the odometer, had so much in the damn car, even had to buy a whole 6.0 to get the block, gm did not sell just the 6.0 block untill 01 I had modern Z kind of money in the car. I know for a fact it got me a killer deal on my 01 Z, so the lesson here would be: what is done is done, ride it and get what u want or just don't pick up the car and get a lawyer.
Spend $6k to $8k plus a ton of blood, sweat, tears, etc. Judge then says to go to arbitration. You can then spend more $$.

Forget attorney. Your dealer seems to be very willing to work with you. They are also interested in making you happy.

Get car repaired with warranty on this or a full GMPP.
Get dealer to offer you emp discount on future non-warr work or something. No need to rip them off. If they are willing to give, you can work with them. Best thing is you will be best friend with service mgr. Remember: Continue your professional approach. No need for attitude since they have admitted guilt.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z06Bigbird
Don't forget to have dealership also pay college tuition for all of your kids and your grand kids. This is America, man.

LOL
You must be a dealer.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be a dealer.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must be a dealer.
Must be a dealer. I am the customer, but have worked in and owned/operated repair facility. This stuff happens, but usually u try to keep the idiots away from the higher end autos, even if it means your trophy tech has to change the oil. I guess it's easy for me to say, I assume (don't ever do that) that all dealer employees have common sense. I thought I was immune to this, after all, many at this dealer knew me personally, the service manager still a good freind/fellow tuner, and the only reason I would bring it in for a headlight motor (iron block and sheetmetal intake on new car=warranty?). But somewhere down the line....like the porter....that's right, the 6.50 per hr guy took my **** for the hell ride of its life....and ohh, the clutches in the diff were gone too. Anything can happen to your car while in service, even while u watch, ask vegasdude
Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 AM
KeithKman
Pro

Good chance down the road the door fades differently then the rest of the paint. Make sure they blend it perfecftly with the other panels. I would have requested a new door.

You'll probably have problems down the road. The dealership is trying to get it fixed at the cheapest rate possible. Not cool.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:33 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shaan
I HATE CHEVY SERVICE PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
In general, I would agree. However, just got the car back from the same fix. Clutch, flywheel, disk, balanced, installed and the only thing I could find was a few fingerprints on a wheel. The car performed perfectly.

If anyone needs drive line work and is in range of Roseville, Karlifornia, I have a recommendation.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

I am not a dealer, but like many here, I have seen a ton of stupidity at dealerships. Not from the experienced mechanics, but from the minimum wage employees.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
Must be a dealer. I am the customer, but have worked in and owned/operated repair facility. This stuff happens, but usually u try to keep the idiots away from the higher end autos, even if it means your trophy tech has to change the oil. I guess it's easy for me to say, I assume (don't ever do that) that all dealer employees have common sense. I thought I was immune to this, after all, many at this dealer knew me personally, the service manager still a good freind/fellow tuner, and the only reason I would bring it in for a headlight motor (iron block and sheetmetal intake on new car=warranty?). But somewhere down the line....like the porter....that's right, the 6.50 per hr guy took my **** for the hell ride of its life....and ohh, the clutches in the diff were gone too. Anything can happen to your car while in service, even while u watch, ask vegasdude
In approx 2004, a porter at a Chrysler dealer took a customer's Mercedes out at lunch and creamed the car up to the windshield. Obviously, the porter died instantly. I am sure that was an interesting sitiuation because the porter actually 'stole' the car over lunch and had the accident. Problem would arise in court if porters normally took cars. Judge would say that if dealership did not know porters were doing this, dealership should have known (since many employees knew about it). Not sure whatever became of that.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

I have had several instances where garage or dealer damaged my cars.

1. New employee, 18 years old, first day on job, puts a crowbar through my a/c compressor while trying to adjust fan belt. I did not discover problem until that evening. Dealer made it right. This was around 1975, and I 'put pressure on dealer to do something extra for me.' I asked him to give the car a free lubrication, and I was happy. Those were the good old days, when we were not so litigious.

2. I spent about $7000 on a paint job on a classic car. Dropped it off at dealership for minor adjustment and instructed dealership to avoid parking it under all of the pine trees in the back of their lot. Service writer agreed. I left car there for 2 weeks when I went on vacation. When I returned two weeks later, the car was covered with sap. Dealer said he would try to buff out and took the paint down to the metal. He repainted car at the same shop where I had the original paint job done.

3. Took another extremely clean low mileage lux car to garage for inspection. Brought it home, and noticed large dent on rear quarter panel. After some lengthy discussion, garage owner reluctantly fixed it. I picked up car a few days later. Car looked great. Arrived home and looked at opposite side of car. Another dent. I ate that one, as I did not want to have to deal with the reluctant garage owner. Frankly, I was afraid he would sabotage my car by dropping ball bearings in the oil filler. Where I grew up, sabotage was not uncommon when dealers and customers got into arguments.

To make a long store short, I do trust dealers, and I have generally found them to be honest about repairing the mistakes they have made on my cars--probably because all of my cars are very pretty, extremely clean luxury cars with extremely low miles. Most of my cars are garage queens. I use a company car for a daily driver. I have established good working relationships with my dealers, and they know that my cars are typically perfect in appearance and in mechanical shape.

On the other hand, I recently had an $800 outside rear view mirror quit working on my SDV while it was at dealership. I pointed it out to service writer and told him that I did not want the detail guy ($8.50 per hour) to absorb the expense. Service writer thanked me and told me he would work out a deal with me. Fortunately for all, the mirror started working a few days later. I suspect too much water got into it during a car wash. Win-win-win. I was happy; detail guy was extremely happy; and dealership was happy.

As Confusius once say: Expect the best, and prepare for the worst.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

What a week!! Three separate trips to the dealer only to come home with a rental each time. I've got the car home but it has to go back again for some large chips in the fiberglass below the bottom door hinge. I didn't see these until I actually got to see the car in day light. I am taking a good hard look at it tomorrow when I clean it back up. Dang I hate dealing with this crap. I think another phone call to the owner on Monday might be order.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

did they replace the door or just fix it.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:13 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Man, I feel for you, I really do. That just stinks. But what exactly is the alternative, we buy these cars because of the love, history, performance, sexy looks, and American Muscles at their best, and then we have to deal with nit wits at the dealership
You think chevy is bad, the local Ford dealer just sent me a post card to upgrade from my current car to a higher end car at a $2000 discount,... I just laughed, and laughed and laughed, and then hung up the phone, I just could not stop laughing, here's my current Ford

Old 11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteship
Man, I feel for you, I really do. That just stinks. But what exactly is the alternative, we buy these cars because of the love, history, performance, sexy looks, and American Muscles at their best, and then we have to deal with nit wits at the dealership
You think chevy is bad, the local Ford dealer just sent me a post card to upgrade from my current car to a higher end car at a $2000 discount,... I just laughed, and laughed and laughed, and then hung up the phone, I just could not stop laughing, here's my current Ford

haha, did they have a new gt500 in mind for you?

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership damaged my car

Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Now that's funny
Old 11-17-2007, 09:57 PM
KeithKman
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteship

I see you are in HB. Do you ever go to Donut Derelicts On Saturday mornings? I have never seen your GT there.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Brookhurst and Adams ? Took my ZO6 a couple of time, not the F-GT , ...yet, not a big fan of the early wake-ups, sorry for the hijack.
Back on track, to the OP, please tell us how the repairs went, and just hang in there

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealership damaged my car