Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealership damaged my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:25 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
You think chevy is bad, the local Ford dealer just sent me a post card to upgrade from my current car to a higher end car at a $2000 discount,... I just laughed, and laughed and laughed, and then hung up the phone, I just could not stop laughing, here's my current Ford
Which one, postcard or phone?

Just ribbing you, feel the same way when Mercedes wants to sell me the new C-class car (I have an E55).
Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 AM
KeithKman
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteship
Brookhurst and Adams ? Took my ZO6 a couple of time, not the F-GT , ...yet, not a big fan of the early wake-ups, sorry for the hijack.
Back on track, to the OP, please tell us how the repairs went, and just hang in there
Magnolia & Adams, but yea.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 AM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

The dealer has not replaced the door yet. I was going to wait until the next oil change for the rest of the repairs to the door but it is bugging the living hell out of me just knowing it is damaged. I have to make a few calls on Monday and then decide which route to take with the car. I am still waiting on the dealer to send the photo's of the damage, this might be a reason to just stop in with a flash drive and get the photos for future use. I'll take some shots of the remaining damage today when I clean the car back up.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM
a/gas
Instructor

i know how you feel. even though my Z wasnt damaged. dropped it off at the dealer for the roof skin. body shop next door. my car had three miles put on it for a four hour replacement. all the dealer could do was shrug his shoulders. hope they enjoyed the ride.........
Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
bgrant_12002
Instructor

[QUOTE=augydog;1562739862]
After a while I noticed wind noise and it would not go away. It turned out to be a PITA.

Whatever you do, make sure you have some kind of warranty/agreement on the door for future problems.

QUOTE]

I couldnt agree more. My chevy truck had a tire off a trailer on I-95 hit it. I took it to the chevy body shop and they fixed it so I couldnt tell it. Did a good job. But there is irritating wind noise when I go above 65 mph. Took it back to them and they said it passes the "dollar test". I guess they say if it'll grip a dollar bill, there shouldnt be any wind noise.........but they are wrong. I'd be very upset.......but I'm sure it was a mistake........and it happens to us all. Hopefully they'll go above just fixing it for your trouble. Get the future fix warranty though. Best of luck.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:04 PM
bgrant_12002
Instructor

Originally Posted by a/gas
i know how you feel. even though my Z wasnt damaged. dropped it off at the dealer for the roof skin. body shop next door. my car had three miles put on it for a four hour replacement. all the dealer could do was shrug his shoulders. hope they enjoyed the ride.........
This issue really pisses me off. I've had as many as 80 miles put on my 1996 vette when I had new tires put on. I asked about it, and they said they road tested it..........FOR FREE. Acted like they did me a favor. I've never been back. Same thing when I had my windows tinted........they put about 30 miles on it. I raised hell with the manager and he just denied it.
I wish I had some way to activate a "valet switch" so that the car would only have, like 30% of it's power. That way no one can ruin my tires or clutch while I'm away. Any way to put some kind of governor like that on a vette? I know the early 90's ZR-1s had it. Looks like you could do it with a remote, like the mild to wild uses, and a programmer. Any ideas?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:01 PM
hennytime
Advanced

wow im so confused as to why some of you feel like you deserve preferential treatment. do you all bitch about getting low fat creamer in your latte instead of non fat? seriously the dealer is willing to try to make things right. it sucks that it happened but no one is perfect and mistakes happen. no one is without fault, and you ALL should remember this
Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgrant_12002
This issue really pisses me off. I've had as many as 80 miles put on my 1996 vette when I had new tires put on. I asked about it, and they said they road tested it..........FOR FREE. Acted like they did me a favor. I've never been back. Same thing when I had my windows tinted........they put about 30 miles on it. I raised hell with the manager and he just denied it.
I wish I had some way to activate a "valet switch" so that the car would only have, like 30% of it's power. That way no one can ruin my tires or clutch while I'm away. Any way to put some kind of governor like that on a vette? I know the early 90's ZR-1s had it. Looks like you could do it with a remote, like the mild to wild uses, and a programmer. Any ideas?
When I drop my car off at the dealer, I use my HP tuners to set the rev limiter to 2500 rpm. I am sure they were thrilled when they had to test drive it...LOL

I have it saved as the "valet" tune
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 AM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

***UPDATE****
It has been a long tough road to ride down. The adviser at GM feels this is the longest case she has ever had to deal with. The car is at the body shop again, different body shop now. I stopped in Wednesday but forgot to take my camera with me. The drivers door was removed from the car and the rear quarter as well. The body shop manager explained about painting the two pieces separate to avoid problems with the rest of the cars paint. I asked do you mean to get the factory orange peel right and we both laughed about it. The door was dragging on the bottom against the sill plate. They fixed all of this and properly aligned the door. I saw the car sitting in the detail bay on Friday so hopefully Monday I'll be able to put this all behind me. I just can't believe it has taken over two months to get here.
On the good side it is suppose to be 60 degrees here tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 AM
VRZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by 04Z16
***UPDATE****
It has been a long tough road to ride down. The adviser at GM feels this is the longest case she has ever had to deal with. The car is at the body shop again, different body shop now. I stopped in Wednesday but forgot to take my camera with me. The drivers door was removed from the car and the rear quarter as well. The body shop manager explained about painting the two pieces separate to avoid problems with the rest of the cars paint. I asked do you mean to get the factory orange peel right and we both laughed about it. The door was dragging on the bottom against the sill plate. They fixed all of this and properly aligned the door. I saw the car sitting in the detail bay on Friday so hopefully Monday I'll be able to put this all behind me. I just can't believe it has taken over two months to get here.
On the good side it is suppose to be 60 degrees here tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, one note though. Don't forget to make a deal with the dealer on
trade in value. Your VIN will show us as a wrecked vehicle in the system. This is not your fault so you shouldn't have to take the hit.. Just a thought..
Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Hawkeye2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glad things are finally getting straightened out.

The local GM dealer did the same thing to my Suburban, door
damaged by the next hoist. They fixed it, but you could still
see the paint difference if you looked carefully.

A better one. At a local brake shop they dropped my truck off the
hoist. Didn't tell me. I arrived to pick it up, saw it leaning in the
parking lot. I went in and asked about it, and they kinda stood
around looking at each other and scratching their heads.

I took it to a friends body shop, put it on the frame machine and
straightened it out. No other damage but a bent frame on the
front.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:38 AM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hawkeye2
Glad things are finally getting straightened out.

The local GM dealer did the same thing to my Suburban, door
damaged by the next hoist. They fixed it, but you could still
see the paint difference if you looked carefully.

A better one. At a local brake shop they dropped my truck off the
hoist. Didn't tell me. I arrived to pick it up, saw it leaning in the
parking lot. I went in and asked about it, and they kinda stood
around looking at each other and scratching their heads.

I took it to a friends body shop, put it on the frame machine and
straightened it out. No other damage but a bent frame on the
front.
The shop the car is at now is very detail orientated. When I dropped the car off on Monday they had an 08 Silver Viper in for some dealer touch up work. The Viper dealer I'm told has a top notch body and paint shop but wanted it to be perfect so they sent it over to this shop.
I wish my dealer would have used this place in the beginning and it probably would not have taken so darn long.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 AM
dpracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[B]
Originally Posted by shaan
I HATE CHEVY SERVICE PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Chevrolet sucks period.........No such thing as a service dept.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear. Stories like this are why I use the same service writer each time that I can trust.The 1st time I visited the shop I spoke to the service manager and writer at the same time and explained the car is in perfect condition and expect it back the same way. I always put fear into the writer(like each wheel costs 2000 dollars) if something happens you will be held responsible. It has worked so far. Sometimes the extra time put up front will avoid problems later on.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
IceDragon
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

well????

Rich
Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Well the car is home at last!!! The body shop did an outstanding job!!! The paint is perfect and the door opens and closes better than the factory. Sorry no pics tonight, I had to rush home to dodge the tornado warnings and hail. I did get caught in a little downpour because of Grandma in front of me doing 25 in a 50. Once I get is cleaned back up I'll post up some pics.
Great to have my car home and repaired right.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
WFO
Drifting

Crap, Chevy dealers are used to point A to B utility and passenger trucks and cars and the repairs and warranty issues related to same. Not the level of care you need to have for high end light-weight sports cars. This product really needs to be handled through the Cadillac Dealerships. Although I'm sure someone will chime in on how the Caddy dealers suck too. I'm here to remind ya, they at least deal with merchandise of a higher value and as such, are way better suited on a customer service level "commensurate" with these types of cars and the ownership passion associated ith them, all Vettes period.

Come on now GM...In many cases, all is lost when these cars leave Bowling Green. What kind of game is the local Chevy Dealer going to elevate to when the new $100k plus ZR1 coes to town. I'm hiding.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership damaged my car

Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM
NOPANTS-68
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see you got your car back and fixed properly. This is my first post but I read this thread and felt compelled to put in my two pennies. I manage a high end collision center in Northern CA that deals with 4 large local dealerships and one is Chevrolet. It's amazing to see some of the things that happen in service bays and the damage caused by some of the techs. They are pushed to maintain a high speed repair process and being they are human, things do happen. We have repaired many Z06s and C6s after sustaining lot damage or warranty repairs. We also paint all of the warranty roof panels for GM in our area. The Z0 is by far my favorite car we see on a regular basis so I will admit- it does get a little special treatment. lol

With regards to your yellow Z- it was a better call to repair the door instead of replacing the whole panel. A repair done correctly can be stronger and retain more integrity than the door shell itself. I will always push to leave as much factory finish as possible in this scenario as a door replacement would require blending the rear quarter and the front fender. A butt match with that particular yellow on panels that big is impossible. That color requires several coats for complete coverage and is a three stage paint process. Doing this also requires removal of the bumper covers, headlamp, and all of the trim. You were better off staying within the panel and keeping the repair small. Any shop worth its salt will offer a lifetime warranty on the repair just as we would.

Glad to see it turned out OK.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NOPANTS-68
I'm glad to see you got your car back and fixed properly. This is my first post but I read this thread and felt compelled to put in my two pennies. I manage a high end collision center in Northern CA that deals with 4 large local dealerships and one is Chevrolet. It's amazing to see some of the things that happen in service bays and the damage caused by some of the techs. They are pushed to maintain a high speed repair process and being they are human, things do happen. We have repaired many Z06s and C6s after sustaining lot damage or warranty repairs. We also paint all of the warranty roof panels for GM in our area. The Z0 is by far my favorite car we see on a regular basis so I will admit- it does get a little special treatment. lol

With regards to your yellow Z- it was a better call to repair the door instead of replacing the whole panel. A repair done correctly can be stronger and retain more integrity than the door shell itself. I will always push to leave as much factory finish as possible in this scenario as a door replacement would require blending the rear quarter and the front fender. A butt match with that particular yellow on panels that big is impossible. That color requires several coats for complete coverage and is a three stage paint process. Doing this also requires removal of the bumper covers, headlamp, and all of the trim. You were better off staying within the panel and keeping the repair small. Any shop worth its salt will offer a lifetime warranty on the repair just as we would.

Glad to see it turned out OK.
Thanks for the reply and information. The body shop did just what you described. They did remove the rear quarter to blend the area the other body shop messed up. The paint is excellent. They did end up putting a few coats on it. The manager commented he was amazed at how thin the paint in the repair area was. I did get a lifetime warranty on the repairs from the shop, outside of the dealers offer. The shop also cleaned up the inside of the hatch where the original shop had gotten overspray on it. Overall I am very happy with the repair, it looks factory fresh now.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
Imagine if u will, taking your car in for headlight warranty work, being told "it's ready, come get it" only to show up and sit waiting for 45minutes. Ohh, they are bringing it now Mr. Hebert....just as they say that, I/we hear the unmistakable sound of corsa exhaust and 408cubes having a fight w/ the limiter and loosing. Sure enough, here comes my vette sideways down the street past the front of the caddy dealer, and kept going. I was like "Dude! thats my $@^!ng car". The salesman says "yea, right"....No Chit man, thats MY CAR! Well, 20 mins later the car is brought around by yet someone else, and all we can smell is clutch and brakes. My gun had already been removed b4 I dropped it off......good thing or I would still be on the run. Nowadays, I blow something up, they give me parts and I wrench, no questions. In the end it works out for everyone, and everybody gets to live another day. The people who know me and many reading this now know this is the absolute truth and it seems to be the norm.
HOLY **** I would have just punched the salesman in the F****** Face. Straight Then contact my lawyer!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealership damaged my car