Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 11.13 127.20--New Best for a C6Z06 Bone Stock on Stock Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Ranger, GREAT PASS !! and the video was the icing on the cake
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Excellent job John, I knew there was still at least a little bit more in the pure bone stock/OEM tire configuration.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 AM
difflvl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thanks very much, Painrace.

My clutch fluid was, as always, pristinely clean before I lined up for the first pass. Checked it after the pass as I sniffed the firewall for any telltale whiffs of eau de clutch. Sensed none. Verdict, proper clutch release on launch. But as always, the clutch fluid had picked up a bit of cloudiness, caused by an uptake of clutch dust from the launch and three 7K shifts. It was OK for another pass. Were I to have gotten three passes that day instead of my two, I'd have swapped the fluid twice before the 3d pass. That's the reason why I've had no pedal issues on the shifts in 100 passes. Still don't like the LS7 clutch, but have adapted my driving techniques to the behaviors it will tolerate.

Ranger
You should put your old clutch fluid in bottles and sell it, so people can own a piece of Z06 quartermile history. If Ferrari can get away with catching exhaust fumes from F1 cars and putting it in bottles and selling it for $400 bucks a bottle, you just might have a chance.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by proney
I was watching from the starting line and enjoyed seeing the numbers come up. You definately deserve to be setting new records with all of the effort you put into it. You have helped so many of us become better at racing, and always take the time to critique our runs and offer advice. I have always been amazed at how you offer help to all racers, reguardless of the kind of car they drive. You are famous for all of the clutch problems you have fixed at the track. Thanks for all of your help.
Thanks, proney. It's been great watching your progress at MIR after your hiatus from racing for so many years. Your strong focus quickly moved your ET into the top-ten of your platform.

Originally Posted by Tony B4
Ranger, GREAT PASS !! and the video was the icing on the cake
Thanks, Tony. Good commentary from the towerman on that vid. The second vid captures the launch; I'll try to post a link to it next week.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Excellent job John, I knew there was still at least a little bit more in the pure bone stock/OEM tire configuration.
Thanks, Marc.

There may still be a few hundredths left on the table. But on my C5Z I expended a large number of passes chasing three additional hundredth. Don't plan to do that with this car. For my driving approach, I'm pretty sure I'm very close to the bottom on stock tires and DRs. Another driver with better skills or better weather may find what I've left on the table. Missed you at the Atco rental where Dr.Ron did his PR.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 11-29-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thanks, Marc.

There may still be a few hundredths left on the table. But on my C5Z I expended a large number of passes chasing three additional hundredth. Don't plan to do that with this car. For my driving approach, I'm pretty sure I'm very close to the bottom on stock tires and DRs. Another driver with better skills or better weather may find what I've left on the table. Missed you at the Atco rental where Dr.Ron did his PR.
I agree, you very well may be near or even at the very bottom already but that's ok, it's an amazingly low bottom to be at LOL.
Yeah I missed that last rental (slept too late LOL) but I'll be at the one next week (6th).
Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Great run Ranger! Now you have all winter to think about how to improve it next year. Just how quick can these cars be in stock trim?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
Great run Ranger! Now you have all winter to think about how to improve it next year. Just how quick can these cars be in stock trim?
Believe I'm within a few hundredths (.05 to .10) of a natural bottom for my driving in the stock C6Z. From studying the video of the 11.13 pass (stock tires), learned that I clipped the limiter on the 1-2 shift. Made a very fast recovery but there was a time penalty for that error, probably around .03-.05. Interesting find, because I had not noticed the flaw during the run or in the post-pass reconstruction. Video is very helpful. Driving improvement is always a work-in-progress.

Ranger
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 AM
TTC5Z
Racer

Post up that second video ... I want to see/hear the launch dynamics.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

holy crud, congrats Ranger! I just now realized this was a new "new" best. I thought this was your last best and the thread was just brought back up to the top. awesome run
Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
holy crud, congrats Ranger! I just now realized this was a new "new" best. I thought this was your last best and the thread was just brought back up to the top. awesome run

Come on Jeff!!! LOL
JK

Ron
Old 11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron

Come on Jeff!!! LOL
JK

Ron

seriously, it wasn't until I took a double take on the trap speed that it hit me, because I believe his "other" new best was a 125. And then of course I looked at the date of the thread. Come on Ron! Ranger is really seperating here! New bests are coming at a furious rate! Go get 'em!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Come on Ron! Ranger is really seperating here! New bests are coming at a furious rate! Go get 'em!

I wish Ron could take his car to Atco tomorrow. I heard on the weather report today that we will be at a very low range on the dew point Saturday...the air is going to be extremely dry with a high barometric pressure...real "mine shaft" like conditions during the daylight hours.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to mod that bad boy and run some 9's
Old 12-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

seriously, it wasn't until I took a double take on the trap speed that it hit me, because I believe his "other" new best was a 125. And then of course I looked at the date of the thread. Come on Ron! Ranger is really seperating here! New bests are coming at a furious rate! Go get 'em!
ME?? How about you make some more passes?? LOL See below though.

Originally Posted by Geneus
I wish Ron could take his car to Atco tomorrow. I heard on the weather report today that we will be at a very low range on the dew point Saturday...the air is going to be extremely dry with a high barometric pressure...real "mine shaft" like conditions during the daylight hours.
What about for Wednesday??

Ron
Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
geterdn
Intermediate

Default 11.13 127.20

Great job Ranger!!! early this spring i met Ranger at the track and he helped me with my launch....so far only made 20 passes, personal best to date 11.51- will work harder spring 08.......hope to see you next spring!!! you are the man and i am very honnered to have meet you.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 11.13 127.20--New Best for a C6Z06 Bone Stock on Stock Tires