Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Selling the corvette C-7 and service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Selling the corvette C-7 and service?

I was at the doctors office and I was reading how Chevrolet is going to be selling the C-7 or the blue devil at around $95K or more. This seemed to me as something of a oddity as I have been sorely tested at getting decent service at my local Chevy dealership. However, I work for someone who owns a Mercedes Benz 600SL, which is a 12 cyl roadster. And at times I take it in for service. And there is a world of difference between MB service and Chevrolet service. What kind of service work experience have you had at your chevy dealership? I certainly have not been blessed with anything near a good service appointment and I doubt if Chevy can sell a 100K car and follow up with satisfactory service. Is there Chevy dealerships out there that pay attention to servicing the corvette. Tell me what you think?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I have had nothing but great service at the dealer I use. They have one of the best Corvette techs around. The dealer is Bryner in Jenkintown, Pa. Steve Fischer the service writer for Corvette's is a good guy to deal with. The Tech Steve Spencer takes great care of the car while it's there for service. I don't take my car to anyone but the "Steves"/ Bryner. I know that quite a few guys here don't like dealers but I have had nothing but top notch service. This is a small family owned dealer not one of the big multi franchise dealers. I highly recommend them, and have used the for my C4 and C5..
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

I take my car to Tom Gibbs chevrolet.

They have a specially trained mechanic that knows C5s in and out.

He doesnt work on Fridays so i always know to show up Monday/Tuesday.

They keep my car locked inside there service facility in a "special" spot.

They also perform work quickly and charge me a fair price.

I really thought the vette tax was going to kill me at a dealer. But they dont do you like that!!

for my chevy dealer
Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Once the GMPP runs out next month I will be doing all the work, however the service I have received has been about a B+, higher if they did not break a part and their customer service was a bit better. GM is going to have to take their service to a plateau that has never been attained if they are going to service a 95K car and keep the customer loyal. Treating a customer like some treat the 17K vehicle owner is not going to work.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
stockC5
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had great service here in Hollister California @ Greenwood Chevrolet. They have a great Vette tech there. My wife owns a BMW which I take to Monterey for service and I see no difference between the two in that respect.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
I have had nothing but great service at the dealer I use. They have one of the best Corvette techs around. The dealer is Bryner in Jenkintown, Pa. Steve Fischer the service writer for Corvette's is a good guy to deal with. The Tech Steve Spencer takes great care of the car while it's there for service. I don't take my car to anyone but the "Steves"/ Bryner. I know that quite a few guys here don't like dealers but I have had nothing but top notch service. This is a small family owned dealer not one of the big multi franchise dealers. I highly recommend them, and have used the for my C4 and C5..
Well that is a great bit of news for me, and although Bryner is a bit of a trip for me, I'm going to call them in the next few days for an appointment. Thank you for the tip. I had been using a dealership here in SEPA in delaware county, and two weeks ago they did some work on my car and had it for two days, in which I had to rent a car, and once I got it back it was both filthy( grease and coffee stains on the shale carpeting took me an hour to clean) and the tech had gotten frustrated and clearly broke a fin on the inside of the left front wheel well housing? And there is no way it cold have been an accident. But thank you for the feedback, and I'm sure there are some excellant dealership service techs and departments out there and I'm in no way slighting the vast majority of them. But I really think GM is going have to raise their level of service and their facilities if they want to sell something in excess of a hundred thousand dollars. Thanks again
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stockC5
I've had great service here in Hollister California @ Greenwood Chevrolet. They have a great Vette tech there. My wife owns a BMW which I take to Monterey for service and I see no difference between the two in that respect.
You're joking, right?

Drive into a BMW store and they give you a loaner BMW for the day for nothing...or they get you a rental at no charge.

Drive into a Chevy store & they MIGHT give you an Aveo or a Cobalt..if you're lucky!

Bring a $90k + car in and get a $10-15k $hitbox to drive for the day...THAT's just one of the factors in a GM service experience.

GM could learn a lot from the other high-line manufacturers about customer service. If they did, maybe that and actually building cars people WANT to buy would get them back in the black again.

I don't expect them to have another Corvette waiting for me...but a Tahoe or Trailblazer would be nice...or one of the new hybrids they are releasing next year. It's a slap in the face for people who have spent that kind of money with a dealership to not have some perks when they get service.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd take the Cobalt, I wouldn't want a gas hog Tahoe or Trailblazer.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:07 PM
MyBeaches
Pro

I don't think the poster was referring to the quality of the tech working on your car, but rather the whole experience.

This is one big negative of buying a new Z06. Most of the dealerships are old and dated, dont give any type of loaner at all, stick you in cramped waiting rooms designed back the 80's.

With my previous Lexus, they gave out free loaners every time with nice RX suvs, had free Starbucks coffee inside the dealership, free internet, computers, wifi, and a super nice lounge if you wanted to wait.

When you pulled up to the service bay areas, they always had plenty of people outside waiting to open your door, take your keys, and get you own your way. Very effecient and pleasant. They even pay for the first service and oil change.

The Chevy experience is usually the opposite of everything above. But I overlook that, because I love the car so much!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
I was at the doctors office and I was reading how Chevrolet is going to be selling the C-7 or the blue devil at around $95K or more. This seemed to me as something of a oddity as I have been sorely tested at getting decent service at my local Chevy dealership. However, I work for someone who owns a Mercedes Benz 600SL, which is a 12 cyl roadster. And at times I take it in for service. And there is a world of difference between MB service and Chevrolet service. What kind of service work experience have you had at your chevy dealership? I certainly have not been blessed with anything near a good service appointment and I doubt if Chevy can sell a 100K car and follow up with satisfactory service. Is there Chevy dealerships out there that pay attention to servicing the corvette. Tell me what you think?
I have always had easy appointments- efficient service in both Nevada and California. However, owning a couple of Mercedes, they need to be good given their increasingly inferior quality control siutation. As an example, my SL 55 AMG Motor had to be replaced after 16,000 miles with a "crate motor" (esimtated cost to Mercedes -$35,000). Best
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a C6 and a Lexus. When I take the Lexus in for service the dealer makes an effort to put me in a comparable loaner Lexus as quickly as possible. They place a big emphasis on customer service and it shows. I just think Chevy, with its high volume work, doesn't put customer service at the top of its priority list. It's not that the service is terrible; but there is a big difference, in my experience, between Chevy and a higher end dealership (in my case, Lexus).
Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Mr. Couture
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe90
You're joking, right?

Drive into a BMW store and they give you a loaner BMW for the day for nothing...or they get you a rental at no charge.

Drive into a Chevy store & they MIGHT give you an Aveo or a Cobalt..if you're lucky!

Bring a $90k + car in and get a $10-15k $hitbox to drive for the day...THAT's just one of the factors in a GM service experience.

GM could learn a lot from the other high-line manufacturers about customer service. If they did, maybe that and actually building cars people WANT to buy would get them back in the black again.

I don't expect them to have another Corvette waiting for me...but a Tahoe or Trailblazer would be nice...or one of the new hybrids they are releasing next year. It's a slap in the face for people who have spent that kind of money with a dealership to not have some perks when they get service.
Both times I've gone to my local dealership to get my car serviced they've given me an aveo. I laughed both times, but did enjoy the gas mileage. Plus, it's a great time to have some fun turning some corners and pulling that E-Brake
Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 AM
s420merc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an ML350 2008 when i bring it in for service i get A valet to take my car they also have a lounge with internet and a pool hall and Wifi and computers they also have a food court better then most dinners all free you get chicken wraps and anything else u want while u wait they also give out C class loaners and they give you the car back clean and washed. ALSO FREE Car washes any time i want they have their own CAR wash which is a hand wash. :-) NOW THats service.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Sammgb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Something that you guys need to keep in mind is the fact that we are talking about Chevy dealerships. You (generic = all) keep comparing the Chevy dealership to Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc., but you're not giving the Chevy dealer any kind of break for the volume that they have to deal with. How many BMW's, Lexi (sp?) Mercs., do any of those dealers have to service on any given day? How many $14K Aveos', $17K Cobalts is a Lexus dealer going to see?

The Chevy dealers CAN'T make the experience the same. They can't discriminate in favor of a few well to do clients over the great "huddled masses". How would it look if the guy pulls in in a new Z06 (or even base C6) and he gets the red carpet treatment (loaner C6, special waiting room, etc.) and the 3 guys with the Aveo, S-10, and Cobalt are shuttled off to the cattle-pen waiting room. They'll make the well to-do customers happy, but TOTALLY pi$$ off everyone else. Similarly, they're not going to want to offer wine and cheese to everyone who brings a car into service - they'd go broke on volume alone.

It's a business. They're in it to make money. They know that you (the Corvette buyer) will come back, even if the waiting room's a pit, simply because there aren't a lot of other places to take a new Z06 for service. That Cobalt however, can be serviced by any Pontiac dealer as the G5 is the exact same car. The S-10 can be worked on by any GMC dealer. Service is where they make the bulk of their money, so the bulk of their customers is where they're going to focus their attention (could I have used "their" any more in that sentence?).

As for the loaner car issue, yes, I agree it's a rip to take in a Vette and get a Cobalt in return. Yet again, it's a business. They're not going to keep a $40K C6 sitting around in the loaner fleet simply because that's a big right-off to make. For that same out lay, the dealer can get 2 Cobalts or 3 Aveos to use and when they're done, they can just throw them away at auction. Who on here would touch a Vette that spent a year as a dealer loaner vehicle. They know that they can't get rid of car like that, so they don't even bother offering it as an option.
Granted, a Malibu would be better than an Aveo and that's your dealer being as cheap as possible - my local Corvette dealer offers Malibus'.

Just my $.02.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Sammgb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default P.s.

I do know what it's like on the other side of the fence. From 2001-2006 I owned an Olds Aurora. The dealer that I bought it from was a BMW-Cadillac-Olds dealer. Once Olds died, they redid their entire facility adding leather recliners, free soda/juice and a fruit bar. They put in wireless and tons of marble. It was a great place to take in the car for servicing (free car washes, loaners, etc). While I don't miss that car (total piece of crap) the service experience was 1st class. Comparing the two (Chevy v. BMW/Cadillac) there's no comparison. The Chevy dealer's a Super 8 hotel by the airport where the Caddy dealer is the Drake Hotel, Chicago.

That didn't stop me from buy the Vette though.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammgb
Something that you guys need to keep in mind is the fact that we are talking about Chevy dealerships. You (generic = all) keep comparing the Chevy dealership to Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc., but you're not giving the Chevy dealer any kind of break for the volume that they have to deal with. How many BMW's, Lexi (sp?) Mercs., do any of those dealers have to service on any given day? How many $14K Aveos', $17K Cobalts is a Lexus dealer going to see?

The Chevy dealers CAN'T make the experience the same. They can't discriminate in favor of a few well to do clients over the great "huddled masses". How would it look if the guy pulls in in a new Z06 (or even base C6) and he gets the red carpet treatment (loaner C6, special waiting room, etc.) and the 3 guys with the Aveo, S-10, and Cobalt are shuttled off to the cattle-pen waiting room. They'll make the well to-do customers happy, but TOTALLY pi$$ off everyone else. Similarly, they're not going to want to offer wine and cheese to everyone who brings a car into service - they'd go broke on volume alone.

It's a business. They're in it to make money. They know that you (the Corvette buyer) will come back, even if the waiting room's a pit, simply because there aren't a lot of other places to take a new Z06 for service. That Cobalt however, can be serviced by any Pontiac dealer as the G5 is the exact same car. The S-10 can be worked on by any GMC dealer. Service is where they make the bulk of their money, so the bulk of their customers is where they're going to focus their attention (could I have used "their" any more in that sentence?).

As for the loaner car issue, yes, I agree it's a rip to take in a Vette and get a Cobalt in return. Yet again, it's a business. They're not going to keep a $40K C6 sitting around in the loaner fleet simply because that's a big right-off to make. For that same out lay, the dealer can get 2 Cobalts or 3 Aveos to use and when they're done, they can just throw them away at auction. Who on here would touch a Vette that spent a year as a dealer loaner vehicle. They know that they can't get rid of car like that, so they don't even bother offering it as an option.
Granted, a Malibu would be better than an Aveo and that's your dealer being as cheap as possible - my local Corvette dealer offers Malibus'.

Just my $.02.
One additional note. When you buy the high end model of ANY product line, it is ludicrous to expect to get the same car for a loaner. Do the CLS600 or SL65AMG owners get C class or E class cars as loaners? Of course they do! They simply don't have those cars in stock to lend. Those owners are probably embarrassed to be seen in a E class sedan too, but the difference is that they aren't so pompous as to whine about it. Be happy you got a loaner, IF you really even NEEDED it.

Other industries do not give loaners. Large plasmas and LCD's cost as much as low end cars and usually take 30 days or more to get repaired. Do you get a loaner? When I get a loaner, I APPRECIATE IT as the goodwill gesture that it is.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Couture
I laughed both times, but did enjoy the gas mileage. Plus, it's a great time to have some fun turning some corners and pulling that E-Brake
This is exactly why they don't give you a Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Selling the corvette C-7 and service?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 AM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Hmmm,

How much is the average Lexus? How much is the average Chevy?

How much is an average maintanece interval for a Lexus? How much for a Chevy?

Do leather recliners or loaners really matter to you? Enough to raise the bill $50-100?

I expect competence as issue #1 and my dealer, Ogden Chev in Westmont has that. That's all I ask. Besides, for many of us the warantty ceased to be an issue soon after purchase.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by allegretto
Hmmm,

How much is the average Lexus? How much is the average Chevy?

How much is an average maintanece interval for a Lexus? How much for a Chevy?

Do leather recliners or loaners really matter to you? Enough to raise the bill $50-100?

I expect competence as issue #1 and my dealer, Ogden Chev in Westmont has that. That's all I ask. Besides, for many of us the warantty ceased to be an issue soon after purchase.

You bring up another great point. All that service and creature comfort is wonderful while the factory pays for it. When the shoe is on the other foot, most people don't want to pay $100 for an oil change or $1500 for a pair of shocks. And I've NEVER heard of anyone paying for a rental car while they have non warranty service done on their own car. They usually find a way to drop it off or take the ride home from the service department.

My definition of great service is:
1. a mechanic who knows what he's doing

2. a mechanic that won't give me the car back with another issue I didn't have before

3. a reasonable price for the service

4. a reasonable price for the parts

5. a service writer that takes and returns calls with knowledge of my case.

6. and of course last but not least, to do the job in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited by robvuk; 11-29-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
hip_about_time
Pro

Chevy service is the worst I have ever seen. They treat you no different in a vette than any other chevy.

I will call names Bilk Heard is a nite mare, Nelda Stephenson in Florence use to be. Both were so bad I considered not buying GM again. The Cadillac dealer I have worked with has been vastly improved though.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Selling the corvette C-7 and service?