Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 02-23-2015, 02:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

[Z06] Hurricane Cold Air Intake ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 PM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane Cold Air Intake ????'s

I need some real answers! Not go with this intake or go with that intake(due to what someone else has). What is the Hurricane intake good for? It definitly is way above the others on the look under the hood. But what about power numbers? I tried searching but every thread about this ended up with a manufacture clash of other intakes and not the hurricane. Please shed some light on this situation. Thank You, Jae
Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 PM
layjzay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the Hurricane but I do not have good numbers to compare yet. The best my car did on dyno before Hurricane was 461 and with the Hurricane 478 on a different dyno 900 miles away. If my tune would have been right for the climate I thing it would have done better. Hope this helps some.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Sword
Intermediate

I was also interested in the Hurrican Intake but I could never get anyone a West Coast Corvette to answer my questions about it and have since lost interest. About the only thing I can say about it is it does look good. I know someone had a problem with their check engine light coming on after installing it on an 08 Z06.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
layjzay
Racer

no check engine light but it did take a while to get it tuned. tuning was much more difficult than k&n.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

in the market for a CAI...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

What about the Honker from Callaway? CARB rated in every state. On the C5's they were incredible. I don't hear many people talking about them on the C6's though. Mostly seems to be Killer Bee followed by K&N with a few mentions of the Hurricane. You never seem to hear any real numbers from any of them. It would really take a test on one car, same place and the same dyno with all of the intakes and no re-tune (by someone who doesn't sell any of them)to get past the sales hype I would imagine.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

My car made 13 more rwhp with the Honker than with the Killer Bee. Same dyno, same day.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
layjzay
Racer

Do a search, a few months back i post results from the K&N, Killer bee, and honker. There was not 2 hp difference in any of them. The honker was the only one that worked like a COOL air intaked. The others did not lower air temps any more than stock.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
What about the Honker from Callaway? CARB rated in every state. On the C5's they were incredible. I don't hear many people talking about them on the C6's though. Mostly seems to be Killer Bee followed by K&N with a few mentions of the Hurricane. You never seem to hear any real numbers from any of them. It would really take a test on one car, same place and the same dyno with all of the intakes and no re-tune (by someone who doesn't sell any of them)to get past the sales hype I would imagine.
Mostly hype from after market sellers. Not worth the bucks for a measly 25HP extra that you can't feel on this car anyway. SAVE YOUR BUCKS.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Friend of mine purchased a Hurricane for his 07 Z06 and agree they look very nice but he said it took him most of a afternoon to install as it was a "pita" in his words. Had to complete some simple mods as it is not a bolt on as others.
Good luck,
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

cant speak for the hurricane, but i logged lots of iat's with stock setup then with vararam....the vararam kept iat very close to ambient air temp..even when not moving.....with stock set up, iat would climb high when sitting still....and took some time driving to come back down..and never got as low as the vararam does....[8 to 15 degrees hotter]
Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 AM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

People please I have tons of info on all other intakes but not the Hurricane. Please stick to the Hurricane, Thank You.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Coldmale
Racer

I use the Hurricane

With tune and the Hurricane we got 485 at the wheels

With Torquer cam and 1-3/4 LG Headers and stock muffler and nothing else I get 520 SAE at the wheels with 505 Torque

Looks great and works great
It is a bitch to fit correctly mind you

John
Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Sik Six
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Friend of mine purchased a Hurricane for his 07 Z06 and agree they look very nice but he said it took him most of a afternoon to install as it was a "pita" in his words. Had to complete some simple mods as it is not a bolt on as others.
Good luck,
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RGT
My car made 13 more rwhp with the Honker than with the Killer Bee. Same dyno, same day.
I have used the honker and liked it very much since i do lots of highspeed, i have been with cars before and after the KB and found power there as well. Not to start anything, but did you tune the car for both intakes, or used the honker intake on the KB? just curious

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 AM
EOS 05
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I have the Hurricane on my C5 Z06.

It's the Carbon Fiber one and I had the matching air bridge before I took it off. The inside of the air bridge was not smooth at all inside and had stuff flaking off and was coming apart. I still have the Carbon Fiber front part which still looks cool and probably doesn't have as much stuff flaking off inside. The flaking off doesn't bother me as much on the front part since it's before the filter. The flaking air bridge had to go.

I figured, since the Carbon Fiber looks cooler and is more expensive then it must be better right? Wrong - not durable, not smooth, creaks like an old house and I can see light through it.

I just remembered my big Carbon Fiber lesson from this whole Hurricane Intake thing.

I think the reason the Carbon Fiber sucks on the Air Bridge is that it might be polyester resin instead of epoxy resin. The quality stuff is epoxy and is flexible. The polyester stuff has a blue tint, is inflexible, and can crack. I think this is what happened with the air bridge. I know how much I spent and what I got and the lesson is - don't get cheap carbon fiber (polyester resin) cause it sucks. Maybe if it is an appearance item that will have no stress ever and will never break, but anything else and you just bought some flimsy soon-to-be-trash.

Quick Reading on Epoxy Resin vs Polyester Resin Carbon Fiber
http://www.oppracing.com/opp_pages.p...rbon_fiber_101

Get notified of new replies

To Hurricane Cold Air Intake ????'s

Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Coldmale
Racer

I would agree that the quality of the CF is poor

At the junction with the TB it has collapsed and is held in place with tank tape

Looks poor

I have waited 6 months for, and pre ordered the LG version which is essentially the same but I understand the air bridge is larger

John
Old 03-15-2014, 04:44 AM
corvette´69
Intermediate

Could anybody tell me if it is necessary to cut out the fanshroud to install this hurricane intake? Is there a seal to insatll betwen the shroud and airbox?
Thanks for answeres, Tom
Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Ram Air SS Intake

You might look at that only becuase it is just like Hurricane but it is made of the same factory plastic as the stock intake. So none of the CF stuff as mentioned above. The air filter is about the same size too 18 x 9. Very easy to service also. But like the Calloway and the Hurricane a cut shroud is required.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hurricane Cold Air Intake ????'s