Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I had to defend the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:35 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Default I had to defend the Z06

My latest Motor Trend (Feb) had another overdose of GT-R Kool-Aid. Below is my letter to the editor...

"I chuckled when Motor Trend printed (without question) Nissan’s claim that the GT-R is “the world’s fastest sub-$100,000 car.” A quick review of the specs reveals the 480 HP GT-R weighs 700 pounds more than the 505 HP Corvette Z06, which can be purchased for $72K, the same price of the GT-R. The all-wheel drive GT-R may beat the Z06 off the line, but the Z06 with its superior power-to-weight ratio will have no problem quickly reeling in the GT-R. That is, unless Nissan has another magic button on the GT-R’s dash to atomize its extra 700 pounds of bulk!"

Last edited by CliffB-99; 01-05-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
DOMSCOM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
My latest Motor Trend (Feb) had another overdose of GT-R Kool-Aid. Below is my letter to the editor...

"I chuckled when Motor Trend printed (without question) Nissan’s claim that the GT-R is “the world’s fastest sub-$100,000 car.” A quick review of the specs reveals the 480 HP GT-R weighs 700 pounds more than the 505 HP Corvette Z06, which can be purchased for $72K, the same price of the GT-R. The all-wheel drive GT-R may beat the Z06 off the line, but the Z06 with its superior power-to-weight ratio will have no problem quickly reeling in the GT-R. That is, unless Nissan has another magic button on the GT-R’s dash to atomize its extra 700 pounds of bulk!"
Cliff, I agree wholeheartedly with your letter. Either the GT-R has a lower power rating on purpose from the factory or the magazines are just like the main street media....we can't win in Iraq, the war is lost, Hucksterbee will be our next President.... YOu never hear how things are going now do you? The same thing with the GT-R. We really won't know how this car behaves until it gets into the hands of the customer. For me, I would never consider the car. To each his own. The car is just too heavy and not what I would call asthetically pleasing to me. But, that is why there are so many colors in a crayon box...
Old 01-05-2008, 05:49 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

When you write your "I told you so" letter, be sure to post it

We all know you will have a winner with your second letter.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The extra 700 lbs. have to make a big difference. My '94 ZR-1 weighs 3500 lbs. with 405 hp. and everybody said that it was way to heavy back in it's day. The GT-R is a formidal machine, but it's no match for a Z06 in the power to weight comparision.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
jrubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 427500
The extra 700 lbs. have to make a big difference. My '94 ZR-1 weighs 3500 lbs. with 405 hp. and everybody said that it was way to heavy back in it's day. The GT-R is a formidal machine, but it's no match for a Z06 in the power to weight comparision.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Admittedly I am curious about the new GT-R!

Is it just something like a WRX on steroids or is it really a formidable opponent to the C6 Z06?

Honestly I don't see how it could be in anything other than a 0-70 race.

As stated above, we just won't know until they have actually hit the streets and we can see real world results.

I think most folks would agree that most of the car mags aren't worth a damn these days. Too many pockets being padded...

Disclaimer: I'm a CAR guy! I don't care if it's a FORD, Chevy, Dodge, or Nissan... If it's sporty, powerful, and even a little unique, then I can certainly appreciate it!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Seems to be heavily UNDERATED. Dyno #'s are showing just north of 450awhp. It traps just over 120mph so a C6Z should still be quicker from a roll stock for stock. Not the best looking car in my opinion but thats all that is opinions.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:24 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Seems to be heavily UNDERATED. Dyno #'s are showing just north of 450awhp. It traps just over 120mph so a C6Z should still be quicker from a roll stock for stock. Not the best looking car in my opinion but thats all that is opinions.
Good point, but the GTR would need over 530 Wheel HP to have the same power to weight of a Z06.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
SLAZ06
Racer

I did not understand or agree with the posted times. You can not get around the laws of physics. The Nissan will be a terror out of the hole with the 4 wheel drive, but once past the hook up speed of a Z I do not see anything but a GTR in the rear view mirror. As for the "record" track times I'm not on board with that either. Somethings will change, either HP rating going up or speed results going down.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be to quick to bash the GTR. To many have do so with the Z06, saying it was a straight line car.
It's not always about who's faster from a dig or a quarter mile. It comes down to the overall performance on the road course.

Even if the numbers are close to the Z06, that would be enough of an accomplishment for a 4 seater & AWD with the extra weight.

Let's wait and see what tomorrow brings.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Vladcanada
Racer

Originally Posted by DOMSCOM
Denial is a river in Egypt. I am not loosing and sleep over the GT-R. If it were the fastest car in the world... it doesn't compare to the thrill of driving a Z.
I love both, they do have different approaches but both are great and exciting cars!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Vladcanada
Racer

by the way I kinda agree with this statement taken from another forum. Not trying to start the flame war just intresting read.

Realizing that the Z06 uses some unique materials, yet still utilizes a relatively low tech power train (from an engineering standpoint) and uses very few computer nannies to keep it all in control, yet still manages to cost $73K-$79Kish. The Z06 is a true testament to American Iconic cars.

Then I remembered that NISSAN utilizes an immense amount of high tech materials and a host of computers to create an Iconic Japanese grand touring beast for slightly less to slightly even the amount of cash as the Z06 costs. So my statement is this…

NISSAN uses SIX SIGMA lean process engineering to develop the coolest most capable grand touring vehicle, using every known computer monitoring devise known to man and does it for the same price as a Z06, because Six Sigma lean extrapolates the highest amount of quality per cost spent to create a product, there by making a developed product the most cost effective deliverable. Chevrolet unfortunately does not use SIX SIGMA lean process engineering, they do use SIX SIGMA, but a much lower degree of it to engineer and build the Z06. So essentially, if NISSAN had built the Z06 using SIX SIGMAN lean process engineering, squeezing every bit of quality per efficiency out of each part, then we’d all be looking at a Z06 in the $55K - $60K market.

What is my point… NISSAN has beaten the Z06 on the data sheets, and put allot more in the GT-R for the same price of the Z06. This is huge because it shows how ingenious a company can be to compete both in performance and in price, and it shows us what is needed for a US automaker to compete on both the price and product / performance field.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's funny!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The GTR looks like an ugly fish.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get it frankly. Unless I am dissatisfied with my Z, and I am not, why should I even care if the GT-R is faster?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vladcanada
NISSAN uses SIX SIGMA
Six Sigma is not the the only solution to quality by design, nor does it guarantee your product will be the cheapest. If this were the case, why isn't every Nissan the cheapest in its class? Market dynamics will play a bigger role in determining the final price more than anything. GM's R&D cost for the Corvette is paid for mostly by the sale of 99.5% of it's cars, since the Corvette is only about 0.5% of all GM automobile sales. Even if these percentages are slightly off, better utilization of Six Sigma will not significantly lower the price of any Corvette.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Aggie #5
Intermediate

Default lean six sigma dillemma

by the way I kinda agree with this statement taken from another forum. Not trying to start the flame war just intresting read.

Realizing that the Z06 uses some unique materials, yet still utilizes a relatively low tech power train (from an engineering standpoint) and uses very few computer nannies to keep it all in control, yet still manages to cost $73K-$79Kish. The Z06 is a true testament to American Iconic cars.

Then I remembered that NISSAN utilizes an immense amount of high tech materials and a host of computers to create an Iconic Japanese grand touring beast for slightly less to slightly even the amount of cash as the Z06 costs. So my statement is this…

NISSAN uses SIX SIGMA lean process engineering to develop the coolest most capable grand touring vehicle, using every known computer monitoring devise known to man and does it for the same price as a Z06, because Six Sigma lean extrapolates the highest amount of quality per cost spent to create a product, there by making a developed product the most cost effective deliverable. Chevrolet unfortunately does not use SIX SIGMA lean process engineering, they do use SIX SIGMA, but a much lower degree of it to engineer and build the Z06. So essentially, if NISSAN had built the Z06 using SIX SIGMAN lean process engineering, squeezing every bit of quality per efficiency out of each part, then we’d all be looking at a Z06 in the $55K - $60K market.

What is my point… NISSAN has beaten the Z06 on the data sheets, and put allot more in the GT-R for the same price of the Z06. This is huge because it shows how ingenious a company can be to compete both in performance and in price, and it shows us what is needed for a US automaker to compete on both the price and product / performance field.
Lean Six Sigma attacks inefficiencies – wastes caused by defects, non value-added flow of information or materials, data storage, stacks of inventory, overproduction and extra processing.

It is a development strategy deference between GM and Nissan not a production methodology. Six Sigma is all about reducing defects in production not grade of materials or technical aids to achieve a specific unit performance outcome

Get notified of new replies

To I had to defend the Z06

Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Live2Redline
Burning Brakes

AMEN
Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

yet still utilizes a relatively low tech power train (from an engineering standpoint)
So wrong. Now tell me what is "high tech" about the Nissan.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:42 AM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

Good point, but the GTR would need over 530 Wheel HP to have the same power to weight of a Z06.
Add a boost controller and better intercooler piping and I would say 530whp isn't far away.

Last edited by OneSickZ06; 01-06-2008 at 02:54 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] I had to defend the Z06