Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] FI ZR1 Sticker $99000

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 PM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
That sounds like a great car I wouldn't mind owning myself. But it's not even a C6. I guess you were just a bit "overzealous" in ALMOST all categories.
What makes the C6 any better than the C5, well after mods for an all out car? I like the C6 styling but as far as aero the C6 doesn't surpass the C5 coupe and frame rigidity is up a bit, but not much if I recall correctly. Other than styling and creature comforts what makes the C6 much superior for a build? Well one thing I can think of is the windows seal My windows up over 150 get pretty noisy, really noisy by 180.
Dan
Old 01-20-2008, 03:21 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Wow, tough crowd in here guys!! Let me "fix" what I was saying last night after I came home from the bar..... I like the ZR1 and for the money it's a lot of car, just not for me simply cuz I don't have the 100g's to dump on it. What I have currently is a 01 C5, APS twin, forged bottom, 700/700 RWHP/RWT. RPM stage V tranny and rear, 342's in the rear, G'Force 5th and 6th in the tranny. 6 piston calipers up front, 4 piston in the rear, with two piece rotors all around( nothing close to the cermaics! ). It's on PFadt coilovers with the Pfadt sways, Pirellis Pzero's all around, 345/25/20's in the rear, 265/30/19's up front. I'm confident the car would do well against the ZR1, not only in straigtline. I was over zealous last night, sorry
Dan
I would like to know the honest amount you have spent on the car, I am sure it is quite hefty?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
I would like to know the honest amount you have spent on the car, I am sure it is quite hefty?
Well, I can honestly say if I knew what I would spend going into it I wouldn't have done it. I started with a 15000 budget just doing the twins on my stock motor. It cascaded form there, the end result is $40,000 plus in parts, I did all my own install. I had to pay for tuning too. Obviously I had the old parts to sell off to help recoupe some money but either way, big money. I wanted to build and all out street car. A lot of people build cars with just big HP, I wanted something that could go fast, handle, and brake. The car is everything I wanted but I actually might be sellling it soon. It looks like work will have me relocating to Las Vegas for about 8 months. Basically the car will have to sit for a whole season as we have winters up here in good ol New England! They will make it worth my while but I wish I could have some more time to enjoy the car, I've only put a few tousand on her. Nothing is set in stone yet, but it looks to be leaning that way. I could bring it out there but I woud have to find a place to store it, if I had to work on it where would I do that, and I will be working 80 plus hr weeks, not so much time to enjoy it.
Dan
Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got a lil less then the 99000 price in my c6 and i will be at a 1000 hp. as for aero i will be adding th zr1 fenders...god they bad azz!!! side skirts and spoiler. so i be same there.....but brakes...yikes i hate to think about that!!!! so in straight line for same money i will kill a zr1.....but when it time to stop............................
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasKolker
My 06 Z06 with mods from Lingenfelder is faster, Price $5,000 installed.
Yes some of the proposed goodies are nice, but are they worth $30,000?
It won't matter to some people what you say. They will find a way to make you wrong. As with all things, if it works for you great and if others find their pleasures eleswhere, good for them. Best
Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
TTC5Z
Racer

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Well, I can honestly say if I knew what I would spend going into it I wouldn't have done it. I started with a 15000 budget just doing the twins on my stock motor. It cascaded form there, the end result is $40,000 plus in parts, I did all my own install. I had to pay for tuning too. Obviously I had the old parts to sell off to help recoupe some money but either way, big money. I wanted to build and all out street car. A lot of people build cars with just big HP, I wanted something that could go fast, handle, and brake. The car is everything I wanted but I actually might be sellling it soon. It looks like work will have me relocating to Las Vegas for about 8 months. Basically the car will have to sit for a whole season as we have winters up here in good ol New England! They will make it worth my while but I wish I could have some more time to enjoy the car, I've only put a few tousand on her. Nothing is set in stone yet, but it looks to be leaning that way. I could bring it out there but I woud have to find a place to store it, if I had to work on it where would I do that, and I will be working 80 plus hr weeks, not so much time to enjoy it.
Dan
So ... there you are. You probably have almost the price in that C5 of what the ZR1 will cost us. You will have more power, but what does your's now weigh? Probably 3600 Plus.

If you compare wt/hp ratios .... the ZR1 will probably take you in rollon, or for sure @ track.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TTC5Z
So ... there you are. You probably have almost the price in that C5 of what the ZR1 will cost us. You will have more power, but what does your's now weigh? Probably 3600 Plus.

If you compare wt/hp ratios .... the ZR1 will probably take you in rollon, or for sure @ track.
And it doesn't have the refinement of the C6 or the resale value. The C5 is a great car but the C6 is a level above in all aspects. As many have pointed out here many times, you can make a Civic beat a ZR1 in a straight line. Handling, cornering, comfort, ride, style, value? I don't think so.

I always like this comparison:
If you want to go fast in a straight line, you could probably mod this for a fraction of the entry cost of a used Civic.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Af7M2tvCYiM
Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM
4thGen
Advanced

1. It's a Z06 and not a ZR1.

2. I doubt your Z06 is faster. Even with the same amount of power, the ZR1 is geared better. Plus, better suspension and brakes means better handling which means quicker lap times. So you got nothing there.

3. $30,000? Hmmmmm, it really depends. These guys on here that are getting a NEW Z06 for $70,000 or less are getting it at the price because they were LUCKY to find one at that price. The MSRP of a 1LZ Z06 with NO options is $72,125 and the MSRP of a fully loaded 3LZ(JSB) is $83,165. Again, that's MSRP. The dealer can still markup if they want to.

So technically, you DO get every penny's worth when you purchase a ZR1. In fact, considering the (expensive) advantages the ZR1 has over the Z06, you're definitely getting a bargain at $99,000. Of course, whether or not it's considered a bargain depends on whether or not you can afford one.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I really can't think of another production car that comes close price wise to what the ZR1 will offer. Seriously, I'm drawing a blank on what there is beside the Carrera GT and Enzo.

Lol, my only claim is that assuming the rest of my install goes well, the only thing I'll be able to claim over a ZR1 is handling, loudness, unfriendliness, and funkiness.

You can only take a platform so much before outright purchases of what seemed absurd to begin with are the more attractive alternative.

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 01-24-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:14 AM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TTC5Z

Actually I have about 65 - 70 in total investment, that was a year ago when people were paying 90,000 for the Z06 and there was no ZR1. Sure, hindesight is 20/20, but at that point, for the money, I was building the best car you can have. Now with the ZR1 you gain alot in style, and resale. But I would guarantee if I run into one on the highway, it's going down in a pretty bad way. I would say it might be up on braking slightly, handling is nearly the same, I might have an advantage, acceleration, I'm smokin it. But I do admit, if I knew what I was gonna put into my car and I knew the ZR1 was coming out, sure, I would have saved my pennies. But a year ago nothing like this was offered, the Z06 was a good option but you couldn't even get those at sticker. I built myslef a supercar that will hang with just about anything on the street. I've put down CBR 1000's from a roll, Hyabusa's and several cars that seemed like they were on jackstand parked on the "track". As I run this thing on the street I can go to the track and run 10's, bust it out to over 200 mph, or go for a several hundred mile cruise without changing a single thing, there aren't many car's capable of that. But yeah, as time goes on there are going to be better options, the ZR1 is one of them. For a 100 g's, there is nothing on the market that can compare and if I had a 100 g's to invest in a car, that would be the one! But quite honestly, I am proud of what I built, not to mention in the time that I built it. I did it on jackstands in about two and a half months by myself in my buddies garage. I put in many 16 - 18 hr days and got the car done. Granted, it's no ZR1, but it surely is one nice ride that I built!

How'd you come up with 3600 pds, I didn't put lead weights in the car? I'm guessing about 3300 and change. I think the coupe was about 3200 and change stock. I added the TT's but eliminated the stock manifold for the turbo manifolds, saved a few pds. With the coil overs you eliminate the composite spring, saving about 40 pds between front and back. P fadt sways are lighter than stock. Eliminated the cats, save a few pds, eliminated the fog lights, air system, and CD changer, saved a few pds. Added the actual turbo's, intercoolers, meth kit and that's about it, maybe a 100 pds, offset by the loss's, total gain, 25 - 50 pds. I'm 700 at the wheels, that about 825 at the crank, I think I offset the extra weight with the HP, no? The ZR1 is pretty heavy weighing in at 3300 or 3400. I assure you with the extra 200 hp I have, plus I have the G-Force gearing which will be similar to the ZR1 gearing, I will hurt it pretty bad in a roll on.

Dan

Last edited by SpeedyD; 01-26-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:33 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
This is not the sticker price.

Tom Wallace announced at the NCM Event ZR-1 unveiling the price would be North of 100K.
Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Aero ENGINEERING is one of the most expensive things to do, and do well on a car. GM uses the wind tunnel, something few tuners and no backyard mechanics can ever do. As has been said here, to balance the front and rear downforce while minimizing drag as much as is possible takes hundreds of hours, and great expertise. NO ONE can bolt on parts and even come close.
Mike and Everett shall not deny the temptation that is the ZR1. You can bet that either (or both) of these fine folks will obtain an example, and let us ALL know "what's what" about this fine GM engineering exercise.

Until then, let's just keep holding the faith.

My bet is that the ZR1 will have it's short-comings. BUT -- my bet is also that those are not enough to dissuade those that CAN own one TO own one.

It IS -- to simply put -- an end of an factory HP-wars era.

Buy one, and enjoy your unique position within American-Bred High-HP "SuperFormance" folklore.

You all will/shall indeed be the "Last of the Best."

Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i can buy from my dealer for msrp.....the same thing will happen to this zr1 as the first...lots of hype first year ...then the sale numbers go down...

it has the same issues as the first.....way to similar to the current z....with similar performance on the street...[ while it will outperform the current z...few owners will be able to use anywhere near its potential]..i dont know of any race rubber in the zr1 sizes and the brakes may make putting on 18's an issue...

smart money would be to wait till they start showing up in the resale market...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
bassvet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KZ28CAM
Mike and Everett shall not deny the temptation that is the ZR1. You can bet that either (or both) of these fine folks will obtain an example, and let us ALL know "what's what" about this fine GM engineering exercise.
Thank you for the kind words - I wish I could swing one of these cars, but I am still paying for my last toy! I would have to trade or sell to get into a ZR1..... maybe Mike will tell us what he thinks of his once he gets it!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
bdking57
Safety Car

Im still detecting a bunch of Z06 owner envy in this thread.. some of you guys need to grow up, the same argument can be made for the z51 over the z06.. pshh... why pay 20K more, when you cant use 505bhp on the street and I can mod it to be faster .. the Zr1 will be a beast modded.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
speedy ur in troulbe now
his car makes more hp then ZR1 now on the other catogories.......
Nick, how are you, staying out of trouble???

Quick Reply: [ZR1] FI ZR1 Sticker $99000