Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] I'm just glad that GM tried.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont see where you think GM listened to people....

ALL companies making a performance car want better HP numbers and a faster car...the way to do that is with lighter components.

If you have a faster car you need better brakes...so they come on it.

GM didnt go out of their way to listen to anyone...they just built another supercar.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
TTC5Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68

GM didnt go out of their way to listen to anyone...
Yeah ... you're probably right. Luckily they ignored your suggestions.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Default End Of The Debate

Originally Posted by TrackNoob

I am saying that the pass on video, captured with condensation ring was ~450 knots, not trying to say that was what you claimed. Sorry I was so clumsy on getting that across.

Wanna bet on that too, BTW? I think I can give you some pretty convincing evidence if you insist (and yes, I am aware of the official quote you cited, and it is accurate -- top speed for the 'sneak pass' allowed)

demoore53, 2 months ago
He was doing 450 knots according to the official Blue Angel announcer at Crissy Field. I have some good stills of him picking up the water.
O.K., I don't know who the announcer was, or where he got his info, but I at last had enough of this, so I emailed the Public Affairs Officer for the Blue Angels to ask him how fast that plane was going. Here is our email exchange:

ME:

I have a question about a specific "sneak pass." I have seen some very high resolution photos of the #5 aircraft performing the sneak pass over S.F. Bay during Fleet Week this past October, as well as three separate videos. Here are the very cool high res. photos: http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/ (look at the 29th - 34th frame from the top, and especially the 33rd and 34th frames, which show close ups of the tail/empanage of #5 on the sneak pass over the water.

And here are the the three videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7rAUu8djZ4

Here is my question: The FAQ section of your website says, "The fastest speed is about 700 mph (just under Mach 1; Sneak Pass)" BUT, ON THE PICTURES AND VIDEOS LINKED ABOVE OF AIRCRAFT #5, AT THE SAN FRANCISCO FLEET WEEK SHOW THIS PAST OCTOBER, WHAT WAS THE IAS (in kts) OF THAT AIRCRAFT? Was it just under Mach 1, or was it much slower, like 450 kts?

- Dave

HIM:

"Thanks for your query and interest/support of the Blue Angels. We have received a great number of queries about the San Francisco sneak pass and the photos taken by that photographer--who is now famous. While I can't comment on any photograph taken by anyone other than my staff, I can comment on our performance at the air show. The simple fact is that the #5 jet did not break the sound barrier. Our sneak pass goes at about .95 Mach, which is well within the FAA requirements.

I hope this answers your question.

Respectfully,
Tyson Dunkelberger
Capt USMC
Blue Angels Public Affairs Officer"

"about .95 Mach" Are we done with that now?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrampZ
Our sneak pass goes at about .95 Mach, which is well within the FAA requirements. I hope this answers your question.
Respectfully,
Tyson Dunkelberger
Capt USMC
Blue Angels Public Affairs Officer"

"about .95 Mach" Are we done with that now?
Yes.

Definitely.

Check.

(Although, just to be clear, it is obvious that his answer to inquiries, including YOURS are geared to assuring the public that the pass was below the speed of sound, i.e. Mach 1, and not to what you actually clearly asked him, which was for an estimate of the actual speed, proximate to either an estimate of 450 kts or .95 Mach...

While I can't comment on any photograph taken by anyone other than my staff, I can comment on our performance at the air show. The simple fact is that the #5 jet did not break the sound barrier.
In other words, most people writing were likely complaining/concerned about overspeed, so he gave the upper boundary, and assured it was within limits... but I digress...)

In fact, I thought we were finished way back when I said: "let that one go, Mav, we are instead locked on to ZR1 HP".

So, back to the only remaining topic at hand, now that Blue Angel overflights and ZR1 gross weight has been put to bed, do we have a wager on the thing we agreed to concentrate on, the ZR1 GM claimed HP upon release, under the terms I previously proposed?

below 635 = goes to me, above 635 = goes to you
In the unlikely event that it is exactly 635.0, then we can both donate our wager to Mr. Anonymous GM insider, if you like.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 01-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM
flight23
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
Yes.

So, back to the only remaining topic at hand, now that Blue Angel overflights and ZR1 gross weight has been put to bed, do we have a wager on the thing we agreed to concentrate on, the ZR1 GM claimed HP upon release, under the terms I previously proposed?

In the unlikely event that it is exactly 635.0, then we can both donate our wager to Mr. Anonymous GM insider, if you like.

This should be pretty easy to resolve. Who paid the million for the ZR1 at Barrett-Jackson last week? Lets get that thing on a dyno already!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flight23
This should be pretty easy to resolve. Who paid the million for the ZR1 at Barrett-Jackson last week? Lets get that thing on a dyno already!!!
He won't get his car till they start producing them some time next summer.