Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hatch Pull Down Motor C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bump
Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 AM
O7zeeO6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump....this was a pet peave of mine when I just got my car. Please have someone share their experience if they've done this conversion....
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or, someone could go out into their garage and rip out the interior trunk panels and look for the wiring. I would but I don't have a vette.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually going to do this awhile back. I went to the dealer and told him that I wanted to order the parts...it was like $300-$400 (something like that).... Then I thought about it...slam it and save the money
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
itsaz
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I asked the same question when I took museum delivery of my 08 Z and was told the coupe latch is different as well as a different harness.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by 805Z06
I was actually going to do this awhile back. I went to the dealer and told him that I wanted to order the parts...it was like $300-$400 (something like that).... Then I thought about it...slam it and save the money
Economic Rebate Check here I come!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Contrary to popular belief, the lid does not "slam". I just forcefully pull down on the lid....not too hard, and the air inside the car slows the closure. If pulled with the right wrist flick, the hatch closes ever so smoothly and gently.

I have owned my Z longer than most on this forum, and have had time for such activities

If, however, you don't pull it down with enough strength, it will bounce back and stay open.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 AM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Please allow me to weigh in.

The pull down version of the latch assembly (15220345) is bigger than the one used on the Z06. Here are scans from printouts my parts counter buddies made for me:Both brackets appear to have threaded studs on them that line up with holes in the trunk tub. I bet the trunk tub is the same part between the coupe and Z06 so it probably has mounting holes for both style brackets. (I bet it's a pain to get to the nuts.)

The interior trim piece that hides the latch would probably need to be swapped as the Z06 version doesn't bulge out enough to accommodate the coupe's larger lid pull down actuator assembly.

The latch connectors are different. The lid pull down actuator assembly uses a 6 pin connector (Delphi 12110626). The Z06 uses a 5 pin connector (Delphi 15326822 which mates with 15326827). (Note: These delphi.com links are a bit squirrelly, if they don't work, click on "home" and then copy the part number into the part number box and submit...)

The latch wiring is different. The Z06 and convertible have a relay in the I/P relay block (passenger kick) to drive the hatch release solenoid. The coupe must have a relay integrated into the lid pull down actuator assembly. The trunk release circuit from the BCM provides ground when activated so you'd need to remove a relay and insert a jumper to pass the signal to the trunk. That would have it end up on the same color wire as the coupe. However, you'd also need to run a new wire to bring +12V from the trunk release fuse circuit to the trunk. You could cannibalize a relay to make a nice pluggable connector to jumper the pins together and extract the +12V circuit.

There is an external rear compartment lid key switch on the Z06; somehow it's integrated in the coupe's lid pull down actuator assembly.

I believe all but one of the required circuts end up in the trunk. Running the missing one wouldn't be fun.

They way I would handle the wiring would be to make an adapter harness. This avoids hacking up the factory wiring and allows things to be put back to stock if desired. The connectors and pins are all available from sources such as mouser.com.

The Z06 should have a 15326822 5 pin connector. So start with its mating connector: 15326827. The coupe has a 12110626 connector so that's what you'd want for the other end of the adapter. It mates with the lid pull down actuator assembly. You'd also need the 2 pin rear compartment lid key switch connector (not sure where to get one of these, you'd probably have to go to the dealer).

Not a small (or cheap) job. But doable.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Hawkeye2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Craig - is that you?

Its Hawkeye (Brian) from SSOA!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 AM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Da!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Hawkeye2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I see, I've joined the group. 08 Z 06! Atomic Orange, all the
options, and I love it! Still kept my SS though.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Corvette Racing and Performance Police will be coming to your house to pick your Z up tonight and replace it with a Mini Van!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:26 PM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

I think the best solution is to make a device that indexes the windows ~8" or so when the hatch is open. The window valet people should look into adding this function.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
NKRZ06
Instructor

Location: Moncton, NB Canada.This Z06 is my very first Vette!!

Originally Posted by fiveodude
I think the best solution is to make a device that indexes the windows ~8" or so when the hatch is open. The window valet people should look into adding this function.
I agree!

We should be looking for a link to the feature that opens the windows slightly when we have the doors open.. that same curcuit can be tied into the light that comes on when you open the hatch and voila, the windows on the doors will come down when the hatch is open like when we open the doors..... simple enough.... any engineers out here?

In the meantime, open your door and the hatch easily closes from a drop of 8-10" Not much easier than that.....
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

I just crack open one of the doors when closing the hatch.

Either that or I just slam it. I dont open it that often anyway - 5 times in the past 3 months? lol
Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiveodude
+1

Here is a better question, why hasn't GM done that?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Erix
Pro

Originally Posted by leres
Please allow me to weigh in.

The pull down version of the latch assembly (15220345) is bigger than the one used on the Z06. Here are scans from printouts my parts counter buddies made for me:Both brackets appear to have threaded studs on them that line up with holes in the trunk tub. I bet the trunk tub is the same part between the coupe and Z06 so it probably has mounting holes for both style brackets. (I bet it's a pain to get to the nuts.)

The interior trim piece that hides the latch would probably need to be swapped as the Z06 version doesn't bulge out enough to accommodate the coupe's larger lid pull down actuator assembly.

The latch connectors are different. The lid pull down actuator assembly uses a 6 pin connector (Delphi 12110626). The Z06 uses a 5 pin connector (Delphi 15326822 which mates with 15326827). (Note: These delphi.com links are a bit squirrelly, if they don't work, click on "home" and then copy the part number into the part number box and submit...)

The latch wiring is different. The Z06 and convertible have a relay in the I/P relay block (passenger kick) to drive the hatch release solenoid. The coupe must have a relay integrated into the lid pull down actuator assembly. The trunk release circuit from the BCM provides ground when activated so you'd need to remove a relay and insert a jumper to pass the signal to the trunk. That would have it end up on the same color wire as the coupe. However, you'd also need to run a new wire to bring +12V from the trunk release fuse circuit to the trunk. You could cannibalize a relay to make a nice pluggable connector to jumper the pins together and extract the +12V circuit.

There is an external rear compartment lid key switch on the Z06; somehow it's integrated in the coupe's lid pull down actuator assembly.

I believe all but one of the required circuts end up in the trunk. Running the missing one wouldn't be fun.

They way I would handle the wiring would be to make an adapter harness. This avoids hacking up the factory wiring and allows things to be put back to stock if desired. The connectors and pins are all available from sources such as mouser.com.

The Z06 should have a 15326822 5 pin connector. So start with its mating connector: 15326827. The coupe has a 12110626 connector so that's what you'd want for the other end of the adapter. It mates with the lid pull down actuator assembly. You'd also need the 2 pin rear compartment lid key switch connector (not sure where to get one of these, you'd probably have to go to the dealer).

Not a small (or cheap) job. But doable.

Well there it is!!

Excellent job of answering this question

This forum never ceases to amaze the depth of skill and knowledge of membership.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hatch Pull Down Motor C6 Z06