Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] My only gripe after seeing the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My only gripe after seeing the ZR1

Got a chance to get a close look at the ZR1 at NAIAS. Really like what GM did with the car. The 'look' fits the qualities of the car. Its appearance could be at home on the street or track. Nothing too radical, just a nice smooth/flowing design. The wheels look fantastic, the front fenders look great (much better in person that pics), the carbon fiber blends well, and the interior looks nice. Even the controversial see-thru hood looked good IMO. So what's my gripe? Well, maybe it's a pet peeve. I see this every year on many different makes, and it bugs me everytime. Yes, the dreaded glue on spoiler. Why, oh why do manufacturers do this and ruin the lines of a car and cheapen the look? BMW does it. Mercedes does it with there AMG models. And many others... Looks like an afterthought when testing the areodynamics and the engineers are like "oh sh*t! We need a little downforce on the rear to prevent lift. What should we do? Umm, just paste a rear spoiler on the back." Therefore, that is my one gripe with the ZR1. IMHO, the car would look perfect with the Leno CSRS rear treatment. Take a look and deside for yourself:

Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Mr Different
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% I hate how it looks like an add-on. It looks like they realized they needed more down force and ordered an after market c6z spoiler and super glued it on. And I also agree with you on the C6RS. I think the lower rear of that car is perfect for the ZR1. The carbon fiber and aerodynamics just fit the style of the ZR1. They should just take that, add a little more lip to the spoiler (no stick ons) and use that for the ZR1. It would be 1: more aerodynamic. 2: look sleeker. and 3: it would give the ZR1 that little more distinction from the Z06 that I think it needs. I think right now it looks too much like a Z06 with awesome after markets and if they had a natural sick rear like the C6RS, it would seem to justify the $100,000+ price tag just a little more. (in my opinion)
Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

its bolted on not glued
Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RFZ
its bolted on not glued
No matter... It looks like an afterthought, and ruins the smooth/flowing lines of an otherwise great looking car.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:00 AM
0Navy Blue
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually think it looks good like it is. The lines of the spoiler flows with the "crease lines" of the rear deck. I've seen some after market rear bumpers (on the C5 and C6) that have integrated spoilers and I don't think they look great. The rear end on the C5 and the C6 is so big that the integrated spoiler just adds to that. The bolted-on spoiler (in the same paint color) breaks up the rear end a little more in my opinion.

The 1968 - 1973 Corvette had a small integrated "duck tail" that looked great, but the rear end overall was much smaller to begin with.

Another example is the 1967-69 Camaro. The bolted-on spoiler looks great on that car and it is considered a classic.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Navy Blue
I've seen some after market rear bumpers (on the C5 and C6) that have integrated spoilers and I don't think they look great.
Different strokes I suppose (of course there's a cost factor too) - however, this looks stunning to me:

Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
0Navy Blue
Former Vendor

That looks great but it is not a full-width spoiler like on the ZR1.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Navy Blue
That looks great but it is not a full-width spoiler like on the ZR1.
"Look at that woman, she's stunning"

"She missed a button"

That was an *example* of how a molded in spoiler looks vs. a stick on. I'm sure a full width could be implemented the same way.

I'll agree it might be most cost effective, even possibly more functional, but from an aesthetic consideration (and my design sense), the molded in spoiler looks much better.

Again, just opinion. We know how the car is being delivered, so it doesn't really matter - still an incredible execution (I even like the hood window ).
Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I kind of like the seamed rear spoiler. They have always been bolt on through the years with the exception of the early Stingrays. If they did the seam on the Spoiler, then I guess they ought to do the seam on the roof panel, which would certainly separate them from the wannabes. Love the Gray. That's one thing I wish I did have.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:50 PM
TTC5Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
Why, oh why do manufacturers do this and ruin the lines of a car and cheapen the look? BMW does it. Mercedes does it with there AMG models. And many others... Looks like an afterthought when testing the areodynamics and the engineers Therefore, that is my one gripe with the ZR1. ]
Perhaps they will fix it for '10 yr cars. Otherwise, you seemed please with look. Even the hood window.

Now if it runs great ... all will be forgiven I'd guess ? Remember, its a Chevy ... and priced right for taking to track.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TTC5Z
Perhaps they will fix it for '10 yr cars. Otherwise, you seemed please with look. Even the hood window.

Now if it runs great ... all will be forgiven I'd guess ? Remember, its a Chevy ... and priced right for taking to track.
By my assessment, the only people seeing the rear spoiler will be everyone not driving a ZR1
Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 PM
4thGen
Advanced

Originally Posted by DT
By my assessment, the only people seeing the rear spoiler will be everyone not driving a ZR1

It's the people that know they will never drive one and want to make themselves feel better that keep making complaints about things that are so miniscule. They even have to make things up. An afterthought? Please, tons of cars use bolted on spoilers from the factory.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4thGen

It's the people that know they will never drive one and want to make themselves feel better that keep making complaints about things that are so miniscule. They even have to make things up. An afterthought? Please, tons of cars use bolted on spoilers from the factory.
No kidding... Please re-read my original post. An yes, many times these are afterthoughts. I can give examples if you like. Audi and BMW both found some of there faster cars lifting at speed via Autobahn, and there solution was a stick on spoiler. Audi has gone away from them, and there rear deck is a much smoother design. BMW still uses them, and so does Merc. Why? Because it's a CHEAP solution. Period. A shortcut that most people overlook, like orange peel. You do not have to design a mold, you merely glue/bolt and stick. Does it ever look good? Well, maybe a few exceptions on some older muscle cars were it looks appropriate. Does it look good on the ZR1, M3, C63 AMG, or any other supercar near or over 100K? H*ll no. If you can honestly look at the pic I posted above and say, "Yes, it looks great", well, your taste are much different than mine. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but I believe most designers will agree Pininfarina is 'usually' the pinnacle of auto 'design'. And something tells me you will never see one of the paste on spoilers on a Ferrari design. IMO, no car is perfect, and I really liked the ZR1. If this is the only thing that bothers me about the ZR1, that is a glowing review of the car. But it doesn't take away the fact that the spoiler 'looks' cheap (an add-on) and takes away from a 100K car that did right in every other way.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 01-28-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTC5Z

Yep, I was shocked how much better it looked in person verses pictures. Not that is looks bad in pics, but the car is awesome in person. Minus the winglet
Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr Different
100% I hate how it looks like an add-on. It looks like they realized they needed more down force and ordered an after market c6z spoiler and super glued it on. And I also agree with you on the C6RS. I think the lower rear of that car is perfect for the ZR1. The carbon fiber and aerodynamics just fit the style of the ZR1. They should just take that, add a little more lip to the spoiler (no stick ons) and use that for the ZR1. It would be 1: more aerodynamic. 2: look sleeker. and 3: it would give the ZR1 that little more distinction from the Z06 that I think it needs. I think right now it looks too much like a Z06 with awesome after markets and if they had a natural sick rear like the C6RS, it would seem to justify the $100,000+ price tag just a little more. (in my opinion)
1.) The C6RS rear spoiler does not offer as much downforce as the ZR1 does (not good)

2.) To mold in the ZR1 spoiler would die-lock the fascia tool. The cars that do mold it in, do it with "one - off" low production molds. These are all done by hand very slowly.

3.) Z06 has a center mount spoiler only, much narrower than the ZR1's

Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

My only gripe is that I probably won't get one!!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
No matter... It looks like an afterthought, and ruins the smooth/flowing lines of an otherwise great looking car.
I too got a good look at the NAIAS. I was too busy admiring the car to focus on the spoiler. I am still wondering about the charcoal gray color they chose to debut the car. It is a color that makes the car look like it is standing still even when its moving. Very poor choice for a supercar. I also noticed that the wheels were silver powder coat. No chrome or polished. Back to the color.........the carbon fiber top and targa hoop blend in so well with the paint color that they become nearly invisible. When the C6 was introduced to the public at the Detroit Opera House they chose Precision Red....a go fast color for a go fast car. Charcoal gray? Nice for a Lincoln Town Car but for the Vette.........I'll pass!

c
Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

I'm guessing that if the front or rear bumper covers are modified that they have to go through crash testing again. Not sure how much that costs, but it sounds expensive.

Get notified of new replies

To My only gripe after seeing the ZR1

Quick Reply: [ZR1] My only gripe after seeing the ZR1